Valentine M Villa
Affiliation: University of California
- Hispanic Baby Boomers: health inequities likely to persist in old ageValentine M Villa
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles, USA
Gerontologist 52:166-76. 2012..S.-born non-Hispanic Whites (NHW), U.S.-born Mexicans, naturalized Mexican immigrants, and noncitizen Mexican immigrants...
- Health and ambulatory care use among Native American veteransValentine M Villa
California State University, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90032, USA
Home Health Care Serv Q 29:195-215. 2010....
- The health and functional status of US veterans aged 65+: implications for VA health programs serving an elderly, diverse veteran populationValentine M Villa
VA Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, Calif 90073, USA
Am J Med Qual 18:108-16. 2003..Given the health profile of older veterans found in this study, it would seem necessary that programs serving older veterans be adept at the ongoing medical management of chronic disease and the provision of long-term care services...
- Accessibility and acceptability of the Department of Veteran Affairs health care: diverse veterans' perspectivesJoAnn Damron-Rodriguez
Veteran Administration Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1656, USA
Mil Med 169:243-50. 2004..Provider education and customer service strategies should consider the identified factors to increase access to VA as well as improve veterans' acceptance of the care...
- Satisfaction with VA and non-VA outpatient care among veteransNancy D Harada
Health Services Research, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, UCLA School of Medicine and UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Am J Med Qual 17:155-64. 2002..Factors associated with race/ethnicity and veteran identity may be incorporated into interventions to improve VA outpatient care satisfaction...
- Exploring veteran identity and health services use among Native American veteransNancy D Harada
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Mil Med 170:782-6. 2005..The data support the current VA policy of strengthening coordination with the IHS to ensure that the medical needs of Native American veterans are addressed...
- Racial variations in Department of Veterans Affairs ambulatory care use and unmet health care needsDonna L Washington
Department of Medicine, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Mil Med 167:235-41. 2002..Additional facilitators for reducing unmet need should be explored...
- Equitable health systems: cultural and structural issues for Latino eldersSteven P Wallace
UCLA School of Public Health, UCLA Center for Health Policy Research, USA
Am J Law Med 29:247-67. 2003
- Veteran identity and race/ethnicity: influences on VA outpatient care utilizationNancy D Harada
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, West Los Angeles Healthcare Center, UCLA, California 90073, USA
Med Care 40:I117-28. 2002..Veteran identity may vary by race/ethnicity because the sociohistorical context of the military experience varies by race...
- Evaluating a multicomponent caregiver interventionAnh Luu T Huynh-Hohnbaum
California State University, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90032 9164, USA
Home Health Care Serv Q 27:299-325. 2008..The findings of this study will help practitioners understand the importance of developing more targeted interventions that take specific ethnic and cultural characteristics of caregivers into consideration...
- The influence of military service on outpatient care use among racial/ethnic groups in Department of Veterans Affairs medical centersNancy D Harada
Department of Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, CA 90073, USA
Mil Med 167:525-31. 2002..Racial/ethnic differences in military service characteristics influence the use of VA outpatient care and should be understood in delivering outpatient care to veterans...
- Health and functioning among four war eras of U.S. veterans: examining the impact of war cohort membership, socioeconomic status, mental health, and disease prevalenceValentine M Villa
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, CA, USA
Mil Med 167:783-9. 2002....
- El Portal Latino Alzheimer's Project: model program for Latino caregivers of Alzheimer's disease-affected peopleMaria P Aranda
School of Social Work, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90089 0411, USA
Soc Work 48:259-71. 2003..Los Angeles County provides a natural urban laboratory to study the special needs and circumstances of older Latinos dealing with chronic and debilitating illnesses. Implications for social work practice are discussed...