John A Viator
Affiliation: University of California
- Accurate measurement of blood vessel depth in port wine stained human skin in vivo using pulsed photothermal radiometryBincheng Li
University of California at Irvine, Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, California 92612, USA
J Biomed Opt 9:961-6. 2004..The most superficial PWS depths determined in vivo by PPTR are in good agreement with those measured using optical Doppler tomography (ODT)...
- Photoacoustic discrimination of viable and thermally coagulated blood using a two-wavelength method for burn injury monitoringRobert J Talbert
Department of Biological Engineering, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Phys Med Biol 52:1815-29. 2007..4%. These results have shown that photoacoustic imaging could prove to be a valuable tool in the diagnosis of burns...
- Automated wavelet denoising of photoacoustic signals for circulating melanoma cell detection and burn image reconstructionScott H Holan
Department of Statistics, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Phys Med Biol 53:N227-36. 2008..Such an algorithm may be used for image reconstruction and signal extraction for applications such as burn depth imaging, depth profiling of vascular lesions in skin and the detection of single cancer cells in blood samples...
- Clinical testing of a photoacoustic probe for port wine stain depth determinationJohn A Viator
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Lasers Surg Med 30:141-8. 2002..We designed, constructed, and clinically tested a photoacoustic probe for PWS depth determination...
- Determination of human skin optical properties from spectrophotometric measurements based on optimization by genetic algorithmsRong Zhang
University of California, Beckman Laser Institute, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, California 92612, USA
J Biomed Opt 10:024030. 2005..Furthermore, the GA approach can lead to a reasonable understanding of the blood volume fraction and other skin properties, provided that the applicability of the diffusion approximation is satisfied...
- In vivo port-wine stain depth determination with a photoacoustic probeJohn A Viator
Beckman Laser Institute, University of California, Irvine, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, Calfornia 92612, USA
Appl Opt 42:3215-24. 2003..In vivo measurements of PWS skin with different epidermal melanin concentrations correlated with the phantoms. Thus the photoacoustic probe can be used to determine PWS depth for most patients receiving laser therapy...
- Influence of laser wavelength and pulse duration on gas bubble formation in blood filled glass capillariesSol Kimel
Beckman Laser Institute, University of California, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Lasers Surg Med 36:281-8. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: For laser treatment of HVSL it appears that lambda is of secondary importance and that the choice of t(p) is a more important factor...
- Spectra from 2.5-15 microm of tissue phantom materials, optical clearing agents and ex vivo human skin: implications for depth profiling of human skinJohn A Viator
Beckman Laser Institute, University of California, 1002 Health Sciences Road East, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Phys Med Biol 48:N15-24. 2003..In such cases, overestimating mu(ir) will underestimate chromophore depth and vice versa, although the effect is dependent on actual chromophore depth...
- A comparative study of photoacoustic and reflectance methods for determination of epidermal melanin contentJohn A Viator
Department of Dermatology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Invest Dermatol 122:1432-9. 2004..We present preliminary modeling for photoacoustic probe design and analysis necessary for depth profiling of epidermal melanin...
- Increase of dermal blood volume fraction reduces the threshold for laser-induced purpura: implications for port wine stain laser treatmentLars O Svaasand
Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NO 7491, Trondheim, Norway
Lasers Surg Med 34:182-8. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate a potential technique for more efficient photocoagulation of small diameter PWS blood vessels in PWS that respond poorly to selective photothermolysis...
- Relationship between damaged fraction and reflected spectra of denaturing tissuesHiroyuki Yoshimura
Faculty of Engineering, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Lasers Surg Med 37:308-13. 2005..The relationship between the damaged fraction and reflected spectra of denaturing tissues was investigated for a variation of the temperature of the tissues...
- Photoacoustic detection of metastatic melanoma cells in the human circulatory systemRyan M Weight
Department of Biological Engineering, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Opt Lett 31:2998-3000. 2006..Results imply the potential to assay simple blood draws, from healthy and metastatic patients, for the presence of cancerous melanoma providing an unprecedented method for routine cancer screening...
- PDMS embedded opto-fluidic microring resonator lasersJonathan D Suter
Biological Engineering Department, 240D Bond Life Sciences Center, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Opt Express 16:10248-53. 2008..2 microJ/mm(2) pump intensity, the laser output from the fiber prism is 80 nW, corresponding to 50% power extraction efficiency. A microarray structure of parallel OFRRs is also demonstrated, allowing simultaneous multi-color emissions...