Affiliation: University of Texas Health Science Center
- Apoptosis-resistance of hypoxic cells: multiple factors involved and a role for IAP-2Zheng Dong
Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Am J Pathol 163:663-71. 2003..Thus, death resistance of hypoxic cells involves multiple factors targeting different stages of apoptosis, with IAP-2 suppressing caspases in the cytosol...
- Acute kidney injury: a springboard for progression in chronic kidney diseaseManjeri A Venkatachalam
Dept of Pathology, Univ of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F1078-94. 2010..We discuss the implications of this pathophysiology for developing efficient therapeutic strategies to delay progression and avert ESRD...
- PTEN loss defines a TGF-β-induced tubule phenotype of failed differentiation and JNK signaling during renal fibrosisRongpei Lan
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F1210-23. 2012..By preventing tubule differentiation, the low-PTEN state may provide a platform for signals initiated physiologically to persist pathologically and cause fibrosis after injury...
- The tubule pathology of septic acute kidney injury: a neglected area of research comes of ageManjeri A Venkatachalam
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Kidney Int 81:338-40. 2012..Together, these findings open new avenues for research into long-unresolved issues in the pathophysiology of septic AKI...
- Gene promoter of apoptosis inhibitory protein IAP2: identification of enhancer elements and activation by severe hypoxiaZheng Dong
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Biochem J 364:413-21. 2002..Moreover, we have demonstrated activation of the gene promoter by severe hypoxia, a condition shown to induce IAP2. These findings provide a basis for further investigation of gene regulation of IAP2, a protein with multiple functions...
- Role of apoptosis in hypoxic/ischemic damage in the kidneyPothana Saikumar
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Semin Nephrol 23:511-21. 2003....
- A novel wounding device suitable for quantitative biochemical analysis of wound healing and regeneration of cultured epitheliumRongpei Lan
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Wound Repair Regen 18:159-67. 2010..The method is versatile, easy to use and reproducible, and should facilitate biochemical, proteomic, and genomic studies of wound-induced regeneration of cultured epithelium...
- Association of Bax and Bak homo-oligomers in mitochondria. Bax requirement for Bak reorganization and cytochrome c releaseValery Mikhailov
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Biol Chem 278:5367-76. 2003..These results suggest a degree of functional cooperation between Bax and Bak in this form of cell injury, but also demonstrate an absolute requirement of Bax for mitochondrial permeabilization...
- Preservation of complex I function during hypoxia-reoxygenation-induced mitochondrial injury in proximal tubulesThorsten Feldkamp
Nephrology Div, Dept. of Internal Medicine, Rm. 1560, MSRB II, Univ. of Michigan Medical Ctr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0676, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 286:F749-59. 2004..The work provides new insight into fundamental aspects of mitochondrial pathophysiology in proximal tubules during acute renal failure...
- PTEN REGULATION DURING ISCHEMIC ACUTE RENAL FAILUREManjeri Venkatachalam; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will employ PTEN antisense oligonucleotides to suppress kidney PTEN in vivo to study how this intervention affects the course of proximal tubule regeneration and recovery. ..
- MEMBRANE PATHOLOGY IN RENAL CELL INJURYManjeri Venkatachalam; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- MEMBRANE PATHOLOGY IN RENAL CELL INJURYManjeri Venkatachalam; Fiscal Year: 1990..These studies may help devise effective strategies for the preservation of cell integrity during injury caused by conditions characterized by impaired energy metabolism, such as ischemia or anoxia...