Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of California
- Vallon V, Platt K, Cunard R, Schroth J, Whaley J, Thomson S, et al. SGLT2 mediates glucose reabsorption in the early proximal tubule. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:104-12 pubmed publisher..This mouse model mimics and explains the glucosuric phenotype of individuals carrying SLC5A2 mutations. ..
- Vallon V, Thomson S. Targeting renal glucose reabsorption to treat hyperglycaemia: the pleiotropic effects of SGLT2 inhibition. Diabetologia. 2017;60:215-225 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the role of SGLT2 in the physiology and pathophysiology of renal glucose reabsorption and outlines the unexpected logic of inhibiting SGLT2 in the diabetic kidney. ..
- Vallon V, Rieg T, Ahn S, Wu W, Eraly S, Nigam S. Overlapping in vitro and in vivo specificities of the organic anion transporters OAT1 and OAT3 for loop and thiazide diuretics. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F867-73 pubmed publisher..When searching for polymorphisms involved in human diuretic responsiveness, it may be necessary to consider both OAT1 and OAT3, among other genes. ..
- Vallon V, Lang F. New insights into the role of serum- and glucocorticoid-inducible kinase SGK1 in the regulation of renal function and blood pressure. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2005;14:59-66 pubmed..SGK1 may affect renal transport mechanisms beyond Na+ reabsorption and K+ secretion in ASDN. Polymorphisms of SGK1 may be relevant to the pathophysiology of hypertension and other diseases. ..
- Vallon V, Grahammer F, Volkl H, Sandu C, Richter K, Rexhepaj R, et al. KCNQ1-dependent transport in renal and gastrointestinal epithelia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17864-9 pubmed..In mice lacking functional KCNQ1, impaired intestinal absorption is associated with reduced serum vitamin B12 concentrations, mild macrocytic anemia, and fecal loss of Na+ and K+, the latter affecting K+ homeostasis. ..
- Vallon V, Eraly S, Wikoff W, Rieg T, Kaler G, Truong D, et al. Organic anion transporter 3 contributes to the regulation of blood pressure. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:1732-40 pubmed publisher..Moreover, polymorphisms in human OAT3 might contribute to the genetic variation in susceptibility to hypertension. ..
- Vallon V, Schroth J, Satriano J, Blantz R, Thomson S, Rieg T. Adenosine A(1) receptors determine glomerular hyperfiltration and the salt paradox in early streptozotocin diabetes mellitus. Nephron Physiol. 2009;111:p30-8 pubmed publisher..A(1)Rs determine glomerular hyperfiltration and the salt paradox in early diabetes, which is consistent with the tubulocentric principle. ..
- Vallon V, Eraly S, Rao S, Gerasimova M, Rose M, Nagle M, et al. A role for the organic anion transporter OAT3 in renal creatinine secretion in mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2012;302:F1293-9 pubmed publisher..The results are consistent with a contribution of OAT3 and possibly OAT1 to renal creatinine secretion in mice. ..
- Rieg T, Masuda T, Gerasimova M, Mayoux E, Platt K, Powell D, et al. Increase in SGLT1-mediated transport explains renal glucose reabsorption during genetic and pharmacological SGLT2 inhibition in euglycemia. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014;306:F188-93 pubmed publisher..When SGLT2 is fully inhibited by SGLT2-I, the increase in SGLT1-mediated glucose reabsorption explains why only 50-60% of filtered glucose is excreted. ..
- Vallon V, Richter K, Huang D, Rieg T, Schnermann J. Functional consequences at the single-nephron level of the lack of adenosine A1 receptors and tubuloglomerular feedback in mice. Pflugers Arch. 2004;448:214-21 pubmed
- Vallon V, Wulff P, Huang D, Loffing J, Volkl H, Kuhl D, et al. Role of Sgk1 in salt and potassium homeostasis. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005;288:R4-10 pubmed..Further studies are required to elucidate renal and nonrenal aldosterone-induced effects of Sgk1, the role of other Sgk1 activators, as well as the link of Sgk1 polymorphisms to arterial hypertension in humans. ..
- Vallon V, Schroth J, Lang F, Kuhl D, Uchida S. Expression and phosphorylation of the Na+-Cl- cotransporter NCC in vivo is regulated by dietary salt, potassium, and SGK1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;297:F704-12 pubmed publisher..The two maneuvers dissociated plasma aldosterone levels from NCC expression and phosphorylation, implicating additional regulators. Regulation of NCC expression and phosphorylation by dietary NaCl restriction appears to involve SGK1. ..