Affiliation: University of California
- Nonmarital childbearing: influences of education, marriage, and fertilityDawn M Upchurch
UCLA School of Public Health, 650 Charles E Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Demography 39:311-29. 2002..Ignoring endogeneity issues seriously biases the estimates of several substantively important effects...
- A sociobehavioral model of acupuncture use, patterns, and satisfaction among women in the United States, 2002Dawn M Upchurch
UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Womens Health Issues 18:62-71. 2008..To examine the correlates of recent acupuncture use among American women, applying a sociobehavioral model of utilization of conventional health care. Patterns of use, satisfaction, and reasons for acupuncture use are also examined...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use among American women: findings from The National Health Interview Survey, 2002Dawn M Upchurch
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:102-13. 2007..This study identified sociodemographic, health, and lifestyle factors associated with use of various types of CAM among women in the United States and examined health conditions and reasons for use...
- Demographic, behavioral, and health correlates of complementary and alternative medicine and prayer use among midlife women: 2002Dawn M Upchurch
UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California 90095 1772, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 19:23-30. 2010..We also examined the extent to which women used CAM for treatment of health conditions, including menopausal symptoms, and for general health and well-being...
- Social and behavioral determinants of self-reported STD among adolescentsDawn M Upchurch
California Center for Population Research, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 36:276-87. 2004..Adolescents have among the highest sexually transmitted disease (STD) rates. Rich data are now available to characterize the social and behavioral factors that affect adolescent STD risk...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine among American womenDawn M Upchurch
UCLA School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles, 650 Charles Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1722, USA
Womens Health Issues 15:5-13. 2005..The purpose of this study is to provide prevalence estimates of recent CAM use among American women and to examine sociodemographic and other characteristics associated with use...
- Associations between forced sex, sexual and protective practices, and sexually transmitted diseases among a national sample of adolescent girlsDawn M Upchurch
UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Womens Health Issues 14:75-84. 2004..Is history of forced sex associated with risk-taking behaviors? Are these risk-taking behaviors associated with history of STD? Is history of forced sex independently associated with history of STD?..
- Sexual behavior and condom practices among Los Angeles womenDawn M Upchurch
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California, USA
Womens Health Issues 13:8-15. 2003..The sociodemographic correlates of the number of recent sexual partners and condom use are investigated in a population-based sample of 1,178 unmarried women living in Los Angeles County...
- Inconsistencies in reporting the occurence and timing of first intercourse among adolescentsDawn M Upchurch
UCLA School of Public Health, 650 Charles Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
J Sex Res 39:197-206. 2002..Seven strategies for resolving inconsistent reports are presented and implications for substantive findings are discussed...
- Cross-sectional analysis of specific complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use by racial/ethnic group and menopausal status: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN)Ellen B Gold
School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Menopause 14:612-23. 2007..To examine the relationships of race/ethnicity, menopausal status, health characteristics, and symptoms with use of 21 types of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in midlife women...
- Moderating effects of gender on alcohol use: implications for condom use at first intercourseClaire Dye
UCLA School of Public Health, Department of Community Health Sciences, 90095 1772, USA
J Sch Health 76:111-6. 2006..384). The results support the hypothesis that alcohol use during sex has a negative effect on condom use at first sex, moderated by gender. Adolescent reproductive health programs that also include alcohol education may prove useful...
- Acupuncture use in the United States: findings from the National Health Interview SurveyAdam Burke
Institute for Holistic Healing Studies, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:639-48. 2006..To improve understanding of its role in personal health care, an analysis of national data was conducted to examine user sociodemographics, conditions treated, and the relationship of use with conventional Western medical care...
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine during the menopause transition: longitudinal results from the Study of Women's Health Across the NationYali A Bair
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, Sacramento, CA, USA
Menopause 15:32-43. 2008..This study examined whether use of complementary and alternative (CAM) therapies during the menopause transition varied by ethnicity...
- Health insurance coverage, health care-seeking behaviors, and genital chlamydial infection prevalence in sexually active young adultsWilliam M Geisler
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Sex Transm Dis 33:389-96. 2006..Differential access to health care and thus the opportunity for testing, treatment, sexual partner services, and risk reduction counseling may be among the factors contributing to variation in chlamydial prevalence...
- STIs/HIV Risk in Young Adults: A Multilevel ApproachDawn Upchurch; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Training and Research in Acupuncture and MenopauseDawn Upchurch; Fiscal Year: 2007..Because these content areas represent fundamentally new areas of research, a comprehensive training and research program is required, justifying the need for five years of sustained funding. ..