Leigh G Turner
Affiliation: University of Minnesota
- US stem cell clinics, patient safety, and the FDALeigh Turner
Center for Bioethics, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, N520 Boynton, 410 Church Street South East, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA Electronic address
Trends Mol Med 21:271-3. 2015..These businesses typically claim to operate in compliance with federal regulations, but careful review of their commercial practices suggests that such clinics are marketing unapproved and noncompliant biological drugs. ..
- Knowledge brokers, companions, and navigators: a qualitative examination of informal caregivers' roles in medical tourismVictoria Casey
Department of Geography, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Int J Equity Health 12:94. 2013..In this article, we fill this gap by examining these informal caregivers and the roles they take on towards supporting medical tourists' health and wellbeing...
- "You're dealing with an emotionally charged individual...": an industry perspective on the challenges posed by medical tourists' informal caregiver-companionsVictoria Casey
Department of Geography, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, Canada
Global Health 9:31. 2013....
- Making Canada a destination for medical tourists: why Canadian provinces should not try to become "Mayo Clinics of the North"Leigh Turner
Associate Professor, Center for Bioethics, School of Public Health and College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Healthc Policy 7:18-25. 2012....
- Beyond "medical tourism": Canadian companies marketing medical travelLeigh Turner
Center for Bioethics, School of Public Health, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Global Health 8:16. 2012..Both responding to public interest in medical travel and playing an important part in promoting the notion of a global marketplace for health services, many Canadian companies market medical travel...
- News media reports of patient deaths following 'medical tourism' for cosmetic surgery and bariatric surgeryLeigh Turner
University of Minnesota Center for Bioethics, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dev World Bioeth 12:21-34. 2012..The paper contains practical recommendations intended to promote debate concerning how to promote patient safety and quality of care in medical travel...
- Canadian medical tourism companies that have exited the marketplace: Content analysis of websites used to market transnational medical travelLeigh Turner
Center for Bioethics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA 55419, USA
Global Health 7:40. 2011..abstract:..
- Quality in health care and globalization of health services: accreditation and regulatory oversight of medical tourism companiesLeigh G Turner
Center for Bioethics and School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 23:1-7. 2011..Establishing high standards for the operation of medical tourism companies should reduce risks facing patients when they travel abroad for health care...
- "Medical tourism" and the global marketplace in health services: U.S. patients, international hospitals, and the search for affordable health careLeigh Turner
Center for Bioethics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Int J Health Serv 40:443-67. 2010..The emergence of a global market in health services will have profound consequences for health insurance, delivery of health services, patient-physician relationships, publicly funded health care, and the spread of medical consumerism...
- Does bioethics exist?L Turner
Center for Bioethics, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Med Ethics 35:778-80. 2009....