Janice Y Tsoh
Affiliation: University of California
- Stopping smoking during first year of substance use treatment predicted 9-year alcohol and drug treatment outcomesJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 114:110-8. 2011..Findings support promoting smoking cessation among smoking clients in substance use treatment...
- Promoting smoking cessation in pregnancy with Video Doctor plus provider cueing: a randomized trialJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 89:515-23. 2010..This study examined the use of a Video Doctor plus provider cueing to promote provider advice and smoking cessation outcomes in pregnancy...
- Individual and family factors associated with intention to quit among male Vietnamese American smokers: implications for intervention developmentJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Addict Behav 36:294-301. 2011..Findings underscore the importance of designing strategic interventions that meet the needs of smokers at both individual and family levels to promote quit intention and to facilitate successful quitting in this population...
- Acceptance of nicotine dependence treatment among currently depressed smokersNancy A Haug
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 7:217-24. 2005..Findings have implications for the psychiatric assessment and treatment of smokers in clinical settings. Psychiatric medication may play a significant role in smoking cessation treatment acceptance by currently depressed smokers...
- Treating tobacco dependence in clinically depressed smokers: effect of smoking cessation on mental health functioningJudith J Prochaska
University of California San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Ave, Box TRC 0984, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Am J Public Health 98:446-8. 2008..Individuals in treatment for clinical depression can be helped to stop smoking without adversely affecting their mental health functioning...
- Treatment for cigarette smoking among depressed mental health outpatients: a randomized clinical trialSharon M Hall
University of California, San Francisco, Treatment Research Center, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1808-14. 2006..Using a brief contact control, we tested the efficacy of a staged care intervention to reduce cigarette smoking among psychiatric patients in outpatient treatment for depression...
- Patterns of tobacco-use behavior among Chinese smokers with medical conditionsCandice C Wong
Institutes for Health and Aging, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94118 0646, USA
J Community Health 34:472-9. 2009..Future tobacco treatment studies should pay attention to health status among smokers in health-care settings in order to provide a more accurate assessment of treatment needs and of barriers to successful smoking cessation...
- The Chinese community smoking cessation project: a community sensitive intervention trialCandice C Wong
Department of Physiological Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0610, USA
J Community Health 33:363-73. 2008..Community sensitive collaborative process facilitated implementation of study protocol in community health care settings...
- Increasing discussions of intimate partner violence in prenatal care using Video Doctor plus Provider Cueing: a randomized, controlled trialJanice Humphreys
Department of Family Health Care Nursing, University of California San Francisco, 2 Koret Way, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Womens Health Issues 21:136-44. 2011..To report the effectiveness of a prenatal intervention and to provide evidence that prenatal visits provide an opportune time for health assessment and counseling with abused women...
- Prenatal weight gain: who is counseled?Naomi Stotland
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 21:695-701. 2012..Because prenatal counseling is associated with adherence to weight gain guidelines, we sought to identify patient-level characteristics associated with the receipt of counseling on weight gain, nutrition, and exercise during prenatal care...
- Older adults' and case managers' perceptions of smoking and smoking cessationEva M Schmitt
Institute On Aging Research Center, 3330 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
J Aging Health 17:717-33. 2005..This study explores older smokers' and case managers' perceptions of smoking and smoking cessation...
- Depressed smokers and stage of change: implications for treatment interventionsJudith J Prochaska
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue, TRC 0984, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 76:143-51. 2004..The consistency in hypothesized patterns among theoretical constructs of the Stages of Change model supports the transfer of stage-tailored interventions to this clinical population...
- Differential item functioning of the English and Chinese versions of the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine DependenceHiroyuki Yamada
Graduate School of Education, University of California, Berkeley, BEAR Center, 2000 Center Street, Suite 301, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Addict Behav 34:125-33. 2009..Further analysis revealed that the reliabilities of two dimensions did not meet the commonly accepted standard. Suggestions were made to improve scale reliabilities of the FTND...
- Changes in smoking status among substance abusers: baseline characteristics and abstinence from alcohol and drugs at 12-month follow-upCarolynn S Kohn
University of California San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 69:61-71. 2003..Future studies may want to measure the smoking status of all participants at all time points in order to include this higher-risk group of substance using smokers...
- Depression and smoking: from the Transtheoretical Model of change perspectiveJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue 0984 TRC, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Addict Behav 29:801-5. 2004..Current depressive symptoms, rather than depression history, was related to other TTM constructs: pros of smoking, temptation to smoke under habitual and negative affect situations, and the self-reevaluation process of change...
- Effectiveness of a culturally tailored diabetes self-management program for Chinese AmericansAngela C Sun
Chinese Community Health Resource Center, 845 Jackson Street, Suite 101, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Diabetes Educ 38:685-94. 2012..The study objectives were at least: 50% will have significant improvements in diabetes knowledge and practice activities, 30% of participants will have significant improvements in A1C, and 50% will report a gain in emotional support...
- Smoking and depression in Chinese AmericansJanice Y Tsoh
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0984, USA
Am J Med Sci 326:187-91. 2003..A close link between smoking and depression has been documented by research primarily based on U.S. white populations. This study examined the association between depressive symptoms and smoking behaviors in Chinese American smokers...