Affiliation: University of California
- Changing channels: an fMRI study of aging and cross-modal attention shiftsJeanne Townsend
Research on Aging and Development, Department of Neurosciences, University of California, San Diego, MC 0959, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0959, USA
Neuroimage 31:1682-92. 2006..These patterns may reflect both task-specific compensatory neural recruitment and degradation of sensory inhibition...
- Event-related brain response abnormalities in autism: evidence for impaired cerebello-frontal spatial attention networksJ Townsend
Department of Neurosciences 0217, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0217, USA
Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 11:127-45. 2001..The electrophysiological abnormalities reported here index spatial attention deficits in autism that may reflect cerebellar influence on both frontal and parietal spatial attention function...
- Removal of eye activity artifacts from visual event-related potentials in normal and clinical subjectsT P Jung
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 111:1745-58. 2000..Often, all epochs contaminated by large eye artifacts are rejected as unusable, though this may prove unacceptable when blinks and eye movements occur frequently...
- Analysis and visualization of single-trial event-related potentialsT P Jung
Institute for Neural Computation, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0523, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 14:166-85. 2001..Applying ICA and ERP image visualization to the analysis of sets of single trials from event-related EEG (or MEG) experiments can increase the information available from ERP (or ERF) data...
- Event-related potentials reflect spectral differences in speech and non-speech stimuli in children and adultsR Ceponiene
Center for Research in Language, Project in Neural and Cognitive Development, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0113, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1560-77. 2008..To clarify functional significance of auditory ERPs, we examined ERP indices of spectral differences in speech and non-speech sounds...
- Functionally independent components of early event-related potentials in a visual spatial attention taskS Makeig
Naval Health Research Center, San Diego, CA 92186 5122, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 354:1135-44. 1999....
- Neural correlates of verbal and nonverbal semantic integration in children with autism spectrum disordersJoseph P McCleery
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychology, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51:277-86. 2010..The focus of the current study was to investigate verbal and meaningful nonverbal semantic processing in high-functioning children with autism (mean age = 5.8 years) using event-related potentials (ERPs)...
- Spectral vs. temporal auditory processing in specific language impairment: a developmental ERP studyR Ceponiene
Project in Neural and Cognitive Development, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0113, United States
Brain Lang 110:107-20. 2009..Rather, the results suggest a deficit in acoustic feature integration at higher levels of auditory sensory processing. The observed maturational trajectory suggests a non-linear developmental deviance rather than simple delay...
- Modality-specificity of sensory aging in vision and audition: evidence from event-related potentialsR Ceponiene
Center for Research and Language, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0113, USA
Brain Res 1215:53-68. 2008..However, when the whole auditory modality is unattended, thalamo-cortical gating deficits may not manifest in the elderly. In contrast, ERP indices of longer-latency, stimulus-level inhibitory modulation appear to diminish with age...
- Auditory semantic networks for words and natural soundsA Cummings
Project in Cognitive and Neural Development, University of California, San Diego, USA
Brain Res 1115:92-107. 2006....
- Dynamic brain sources of visual evoked responsesS Makeig
Computational Neurobiology Laboratory and, The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Salk Institute, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, San Diego, CA 92037, USA
Science 295:690-4. 2002..Scalp topographies of these components were consistent with their generation in compact cortical domains...
- The relation between connection length and degree of connectivity in young adults: a DTI analysisJohn D Lewis
Department of Cognitive Science, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0515, USA
Cereb Cortex 19:554-62. 2009..The results support the hypothesis that cortical networks are optimized to reduce conduction delays and cellular costs...
- A developmental ERP study of verbal and non-verbal semantic processingAlycia Cummings
Project in Cognitive and Neural Development, University of California, San Diego, USA
Brain Res 1208:137-49. 2008..Thus, while the semantic processing of single words is well established by 7 years of age, the processing of environmental sounds continues to improve throughout development...
- Attentional networks in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorderBrandon Keehn
Joint Doctoral Program in Language and Communicative Disorders, San Diego State University University of California San Diego, 6363 Alvarado Ct 225N, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51:1251-9. 2010..The ubiquitous nature of attentional impairments in ASD has led some authors to hypothesize that atypical attentional modulation may be a factor in the development of higher-level sociocommunicative deficits...
- The functional neuroanatomy of spatial attention in autism spectrum disorderFrank Haist
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0959, USA
Dev Neuropsychol 27:425-58. 2005..This article also describes a method for reducing the contribution of physical eye movements to the blood-oxygenation level dependent activity in studies of ASD...
- Electroencephalographic brain dynamics following manually responded visual targetsScott Makeig
Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, USA
PLoS Biol 2:e176. 2004....
- Outcome classification of preschool children with autism spectrum disorders using MRI brain measuresNatacha Akshoomoff
Children s Hospital Research Center, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 43:349-57. 2004....
- How 'generalized' is the 'slowed processing' in SLI? The case of visuospatial attentional orientingRina Schul
SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, Rina Schul, Department of Cognitive Science Stiles Lab, University of California, San Diego, Gilman Drive, 92093 0515, La Jolla, CA, USA
Neuropsychologia 42:661-71. 2004..The results are discussed in relation to the 'generalized slowing hypothesis' in SLI and the neural underpinning of visuospatial attentional orienting and SLI...
- Normal brain development and aging: quantitative analysis at in vivo MR imaging in healthy volunteersE Courchesne
Laboratory for Research on the Neuroscience of Autism, Children s Hospital Research Center, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Radiology 216:672-82. 2000..To quantitate neuroanatomic parameters in healthy volunteers and to compare the values with normative values from postmortem studies...
- ERPs differentiate syllable and nonphonetic sound processing in children and adultsR Ceponiene
Center for Research in Language, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0113, USA
Psychophysiology 42:391-406. 2005....
- Prenatal, perinatal, and neonatal factors in autism, pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified, and the general populationN Juul-Dam
School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Pediatrics 107:E63. 2001..This may, in turn, help to determine the reliability of a diagnosis of autism in younger children, leading to earlier intervention and assistance for an improved outcome in long-term functionality and quality of life...
- Imaging human EEG dynamics using independent component analysisJulie Onton
Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0961, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 30:808-22. 2006....
- Neuroanatomic Change and Attention Dynamics in AgingJeanne Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2005..These data will also provide methods as well as a baseline dataset of neuroanatomic measures that could be used in future clinical studies. ..
- Cognitive Effects of Cerebellar Dysfunction in AutismJeanne Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such knowledge may enable more effective treatment and aid the search for the origins of this debilitating disorder. ..