Affiliation: University of Texas Medical Branch
- Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exerciseK D Tipton
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281:E197-206. 2001....
- Protein and amino acids for athletesKevin D Tipton
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriner s Hospital for Children, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
J Sports Sci 22:65-79. 2004....
- Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after resistance exerciseKevin D Tipton
Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children and Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:2073-81. 2004..This study was designed to examine the acute response of muscle protein balance to ingestion of two different intact proteins after resistance exercise...
- Acute response of net muscle protein balance reflects 24-h balance after exercise and amino acid ingestionKevin D Tipton
Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E76-89. 2003..Results for other amino acids were similar. The acute anabolic response of muscle to EAA intake and exercise is additive to the response at rest and thus reflects the 24-h response...
- Gender differences in protein metabolismK D Tipton
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Metabolism Unit, Shriner s Hospital for Children Galveston, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 4:493-8. 2001..Certainly, more studies need to be conducted to ascertain what gender differences in whole body and muscle protein metabolism exist and how these differences result in different phylogenetic characteristics...
- Testosterone administration to older men improves muscle function: molecular and physiological mechanismsArny A Ferrando
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E601-7. 2002..We conclude that physiological and near-physiological increases of testosterone in older men will increase muscle protein anabolism and muscle strength...
- Protein requirements and recommendations for athletes: relevance of ivory tower arguments for practical recommendationsKevin D Tipton
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B29 5SA, United Kingdom
Clin Sports Med 26:17-36. 2007..There seems to be evidence for both arguments. Although this issue may be scientifically relevant, from a practical perspective, the requirement for protein-as most often defined-may not be applicable to most athletes...
- Milk ingestion stimulates net muscle protein synthesis following resistance exerciseTabatha A Elliot
Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children and Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:667-74. 2006..These results suggest that whole milk may have increased utilization of available amino acids for protein synthesis...
- Dietary protein intake impacts human skeletal muscle protein fractional synthetic rates after endurance exerciseDouglas R Bolster
Dept. of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E678-83. 2005..Future studies directed at mechanisms by which level of protein intake influences skeletal muscle turnover are needed...
- Stimulation of net muscle protein synthesis by whey protein ingestion before and after exerciseKevin D Tipton
The Univ of Birmingham, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Edgbaston, Birmington B15 2TT, UK
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E71-6. 2007..Thus the response of net muscle protein balance to timing of intact protein ingestion does not respond as does that of the combination of free amino acids and carbohydrate...
- Leg glucose and protein metabolism during an acute bout of resistance exercise in humansWilliam J Durham
Metabolism Unit, Shriners Burns Hospital, Galveston, University of Texas, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
J Appl Physiol 97:1379-86. 2004..We conclude that lower body resistance exercise potently stimulates leg glucose uptake and lactate release. In addition, muscle protein synthesis is not elevated during a bout of resistance exercise...
- Effect of carbohydrate intake on net muscle protein synthesis during recovery from resistance exerciseElisabet Børsheim
Department of Surgery, Shriners Hospitals for Children Galveston, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
J Appl Physiol 96:674-8. 2004..We conclude that ingestion of carbohydrates improved net leg protein balance after resistance exercise. However, the effect was minor and delayed compared with the previously reported effect of ingestion of amino acids...
- Independent and combined effects of amino acids and glucose after resistance exerciseSharon L Miller
Dairy Management, Inc, Rosemont, IL, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:449-55. 2003..Further, prior intake of amino acids and carbohydrate does not diminish the metabolic response to a second comparable dose ingested 1h later...
- Essential amino acids and muscle protein recovery from resistance exerciseElisabet Børsheim
Metabolism Unit, Department of Surgery, Shriners Hospital for Children Galveston, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E648-57. 2002....
- Promoting training adaptations through nutritional interventionsJohn A Hawley
School of Medical Sciences, RMIT University, Bundoora, Vic, Australia
J Sports Sci 24:709-21. 2006..g. carbohydrate, fat, protein) to affect many of the adaptive responses to training...
- Improving muscle mass: response of muscle metabolism to exercise, nutrition and anabolic agentsKevin D Tipton
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Essays Biochem 44:85-98. 2008..Results from acute metabolic studies provide useful information for estimation of the efficacy of anabolic agents...
- MUSCLE PROTEIN METABOLISM, EXERCISE AND NUTRITIONKevin Tipton; Fiscal Year: 2001..These groups might include the elderly or those in rehabilitation from injuries, illnesses and burns. ..