James F Thrasher
Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Colorectal cancer screening among individuals with and without a family historyJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, CB No 7440, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7440, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 8:1-9. 2002..Despite higher screening rates among individuals with FDR+s, interventions may need to target this high-risk group to increase compliance with CRC screening recommendations...
- Behavior-specific social support for healthy behaviors among african american church members: applying optimal matching theoryJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7440, USA
Health Educ Behav 31:193-205. 2004..Implications of the findings are discussed in terms of developing more effective interventions...
- The impact of anti-tobacco industry prevention messages in tobacco producing regions: evidence from the US truth campaignJ F Thrasher
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, 311 Rosenau Hall, CB 7440, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7440, USA
Tob Control 13:283-8. 2004..Adolescents who live in tobacco producing regions may not respond favourably to anti-industry ads...
- Mistrusting companies, mistrusting the tobacco industry: clarifying the context of tobacco prevention efforts that focus on the tobacco industryJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Promotion, School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
J Health Soc Behav 47:406-22. 2006..These results suggest that anti-tobacco industry campaigns resonate with youth because of youths' trust-related values and expectations...
- The meanings and context of smoking among Mexican university studentsJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Public Health Rep 121:578-85. 2006..We sought to describe the dominant social contexts and meanings of smoking among Mexican university students...
- Using anti-tobacco industry messages to prevent smoking among high-risk adolescentsJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Behavior ealth Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7440, USA
Health Educ Res 21:325-37. 2006..Overall, these results suggest that anti-industry messages are a promising strategy for preventing smoking among high- and low-risk adolescents alike...
- Tobacco denormalization and industry beliefs among smokers from four countriesDavid Hammond
Department of Health Studies, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Am J Prev Med 31:225-32. 2006....
- Intra-familial physical violence among Mexican and Egyptian youthLeonor Rivera-Rivera
Centro de Investigaciones en Salud Poblacional, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Cuernavaca, Morleos, Mexico
Rev Saude Publica 39:709-15. 2005..To determine the prevalence of experiencing intra-familial violence among Mexican and Egyptian youth and to describe its associated risk factors...
- Smokers' reactions to cigarette package warnings with graphic imagery and with only text: a comparison between Mexico and CanadaJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Promotion, Education and Behavior, SC 29208, USA
Salud Publica Mex 49:S233-40. 2007....
- Estimating the impact of different cigarette package warning label policies: the auction methodJames F Thrasher
Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA
Addict Behav 32:2916-25. 2007..The consistently lower value that smokers attributed to cigarette packages with the graphic warning label indicates that these labels are likely to reduce cigarette demand...
- Promoting the effective translation of the framework convention on tobacco control: a case study of challenges and opportunities for strategic communications in MexicoJames F Thrasher
University of South Carolina, SC, USA
Eval Health Prof 31:145-66. 2008..Overall, this article aims to lay the foundation for comparative research from policy uptake to impact so that the scientific evidence base on tobacco control policies includes examination of how context moderates this process...
- [Analysis of coverage of the tobacco issue in Mexican print media]Silvia Elena Llaguno-Aguilar
Departamento de Investigación sobre Tabaco, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 50:S348-54. 2008..Advocacy efforts should take advantage of mass media, which appears generally neutral or in favor of tobacco control policies in Mexico...
- Exposure to smoking imagery in popular films and adolescent smoking in MexicoJames F Thrasher
Department of Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:95-102. 2008....