J William Thomas
Affiliation: University of Maine
- Incorporating statistical uncertainty in the use of physician cost profilesJohn L Adams
RAND, Santa Monica, CA, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 10:57. 2010..In this paper we compare the percentile cut-off method to another method, using statistical testing, for identifying high-cost or low-cost physicians...
- Comparing accuracy of risk-adjustment methodologies used in economic profiling of physiciansJ William Thomas
Department of Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, USA
Inquiry 41:218-31. 2004..All but one methodology explained at least 50% of panel cost variance with panels as small as 25 patients. Group R2 performance tended to be better when high-cost cases were included rather than excluded from the analyses...
- Economic profiling of physicians: does omission of pharmacy claims bias performance measurement?J William Thomas
Institute for Health Policy, Edmund S Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, 509 Forest Ave, Ste 200, Portland, ME 04101 9300, USA
Am J Manag Care 12:341-51. 2006..To investigate the degree to which the absence of prescriber identifying information and the absence of pharmacy claims might affect the validity of physicians' economic profiles...
- Economic profiling of physician specialists: use of outlier treatment and episode attribution rulesJ William Thomas
Institute for Health Policy, Edmund S Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, Portland, ME 04101 9300, USA
Inquiry 43:271-82. 2006..No consistent combination of outlier methodology and episode attribution rule was found to be superior for identifying cost-inefficient physicians...
- Low costs of defensive medicine, small savings from tort reformJ William Thomas
Cutler Institute for Health and Social Policy, Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, Portland, ME, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 29:1578-84. 2010..These savings are lower than most previous estimates, and they suggest that the presumed impact of tort reform on health care costs may be overstated...
- Economic profiling of primary care physicians: consistency among risk-adjusted measuresJ William Thomas
Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Health Serv Res 39:985-1003. 2004..Indicators of practice efficiency should be based on the standardized cost difference, which controls for number of patients in a panel, instead of O/E ratio, which does not...
- Should episode-based economic profiles be risk adjusted to account for differences in patients' health risks?J William Thomas
Institute for Health Policy, Edmund S Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, ME 04101 9300, USA
Health Serv Res 41:581-98. 2006....
- What we know and do not know about tiered provider networksJ William Thomas
Institute for Health Policy, Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, USA
J Health Care Finance 33:53-67. 2007..In this article, we present findings about tiered provider networks developed from a national survey of health plans and from interviews with health plan executives, their employer clients, and providers in their networks...