April D Thames
Affiliation: University of California
- Cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in a non-clinical sample of usersApril D Thames
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, 740 Westwood Plaza C8 226, Los Angeles, CA 90095, United States Electronic address
Addict Behav 39:994-9. 2014..The current study used a cross-sectional design to examine relationships between recent and past cannabis use on neurocognitive functioning in a non-clinical adult sample...
- Effects of stereotype threat, perceived discrimination, and examiner race on neuropsychological performance: simple as black and white?April D Thames
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 19:583-93. 2013..24, 0.72]. The current study underscores the importance of considering the role of contextual variables in neuropsychological performance, as these variables may obscure the validity of results among certain racial/ethnic groups...
- Functional disability in medication management and driving among individuals with HIV: a 1-year follow-up studyApril D Thames
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 35:49-58. 2013....
- Basal ganglia structures differentially contribute to verbal fluency: evidence from Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)-infected adultsApril D Thames
UCLA School of Medicine, 760 Westwood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024, United States
Neuropsychologia 50:390-5. 2012..We examined BG integrity in relation to lexico-semantic verbal fluency performance among older HIV infected adults...
- Depression, cognition, and self-appraisal of functional abilities in HIV: an examination of subjective appraisal versus objective performanceApril D Thames
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Clin Neuropsychol 25:224-43. 2011..Together, these results suggest that over-reliance on self-reported functional status poses risk for error when diagnoses require documentation of both cognitive impairment and associated functional disability in everyday life...
- Medication and finance management among HIV-infected adults: the impact of age and cognitionApril D Thames
UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90024
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 33:200-9. 2011....
- The aggregate effects of multiple comorbid risk factors on cognition among HIV-infected individualsSapna M Patel
Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 35:421-34. 2013..Cognitive reserve was found to be the most robust predictor of neurocognition...
- The role of HIV infection, cognition, and depression in risky decision-makingApril D Thames
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 24:340-8. 2012..Depression partially mediated the relationship between executive functioning and gambling performance. Our findings suggest that HIV infection, executive dysfunction, and depression place individuals at risk for poor decision-making...
- Differential predictors of medication adherence in HIV: findings from a sample of African American and Caucasian HIV-positive drug-using adultsApril D Thames
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 26:621-30. 2012....
- Neurocognitive functioning in HIV-1 infection: effects of cerebrovascular risk factors and ageJessica Foley
UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Los Angeles, CA 90095 8353, USA
Clin Neuropsychol 24:265-85. 2010..The cognitive impact of risk appears to be more pronounced in the absence of adequate pharmacological treatment...
- The impact of neurobehavioral features on medication adherence in HIV: evidence from longitudinal modelsStella E Panos
a Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
AIDS Care 26:79-86. 2014..Adherence behavior is multidetermined. Adequate assessment of these factors, combined with timely intervention, appears to be warranted in order to boost adherence rates. ..
- Disorganization and reality distortion in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of the relationship between positive symptoms and neurocognitive deficitsJoseph Ventura
UCLA Department of Psychiatry, 300 Medical Plaza, Room 2243, Los Angeles CA 90095 6968, United States
Schizophr Res 121:1-14. 2010..Although some studies have found that disorganization is more strongly linked to neurocognitive deficits and poor functional outcomes than reality distortion, the findings are not always consistent...
- Symptoms as mediators of the relationship between neurocognition and functional outcome in schizophrenia: a meta-analysisJoseph Ventura
UCLA Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6968, USA
Schizophr Res 113:189-99. 2009..The high degree of intercorrelation among all of these variables leaves unclear whether neurocognition has a direct effect on functional outcome or whether that relationship to functional outcome is partially mediated by symptoms...
- A deconstruction of gambling task performance among HIV+ individuals: the differential contributions of problem solving and risk takingAlyssa Arentoft
a Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 35:1036-47. 2013..Our results support a novel measure of GT task performance and suggest that failure to develop/implement a strategy reflects cognitive dysfunction. ..
- 2D MR Spectroscopy Combined with Prior-Knowledge Fitting Is Sensitive to HCV-Associated Cerebral Metabolic AbnormalitiesRajakumar Nagarajan
Department of Radiological Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1721, USA
Int J Hepatol 2012:179365. 2012..Hence, glutathione and myo-inositol should be considered along with other metabolites as important markers of inflammation...