Susan S Taylor
Affiliation: University of California
- Keshwani M, Kanter J, Ma Y, Wilderman A, Darshi M, Insel P, et al. Mechanisms of cyclic AMP/protein kinase A- and glucocorticoid-mediated apoptosis using S49 lymphoma cells as a model system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:12681-6 pubmed publisher..The findings for Dex-promoted apoptosis imply that these lymphoma cells have adapted to selective pressure that promotes cell death by altering canonical signaling pathways. ..
- Hu J, Stites E, Yu H, Germino E, Meharena H, Stork P, et al. Allosteric activation of functionally asymmetric RAF kinase dimers. Cell. 2013;154:1036-1046 pubmed publisher..Our work illuminates distinct steps in RAF activation that function to assemble the active conformation of the RAF kinase. ..
- Kornev A, Taylor S. Dynamics-Driven Allostery in Protein Kinases. Trends Biochem Sci. 2015;40:628-47 pubmed publisher..Dynamics is proposed to be the underlying mechanism for allosteric regulation in protein kinases. ..
- Taylor S, Kornev A. Protein kinases: evolution of dynamic regulatory proteins. Trends Biochem Sci. 2011;36:65-77 pubmed publisher..Protein kinases thus represent a unique, highly dynamic, and precisely regulated set of switches that control most biological events in eukaryotic cells. ..
- Ahuja L, Kornev A, McClendon C, Veglia G, Taylor S. Mutation of a kinase allosteric node uncouples dynamics linked to phosphotransfer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E931-E940 pubmed publisher..These studies pave the way for understanding how mutations far from the kinase active site can alter its dynamic properties and catalytic function even when major structural perturbations are not obvious from static crystal structures. ..
- Bubis J, Martinez J, Calabokis M, Ferreira J, Sanz Rodríguez C, Navas V, et al. The gene product of a Trypanosoma equiperdum ortholog of the cAMP-dependent protein kinase regulatory subunit is a monomeric protein that is not capable of binding cyclic nucleotides. Biochimie. 2018;146:166-180 pubmed publisher
- Haushalter K, Casteel D, Raffeiner A, Stefan E, Patel H, Taylor S. Phosphorylation of protein kinase A (PKA) regulatory subunit RIα by protein kinase G (PKG) primes PKA for catalytic activity in cells. J Biol Chem. 2018;293:4411-4421 pubmed publisher..We have thus proposed a model to explain how PKG phosphorylation of RIα creates a "sensitized intermediate" state that is in effect primed to trigger PKAc activity. ..
- Bruystens J, Wu J, Fortezzo A, Kornev A, Blumenthal D, Taylor S. PKA RIα homodimer structure reveals an intermolecular interface with implications for cooperative cAMP binding and Carney complex disease. Structure. 2014;22:59-69 pubmed publisher..Mutagenesis of residues on this interface not only leads to structural and biochemical changes, but is also linked to Carney complex disease. ..
- Zhang P, Ye F, Bastidas A, Kornev A, Wu J, Ginsberg M, et al. An Isoform-Specific Myristylation Switch Targets Type II PKA Holoenzymes to Membranes. Structure. 2015;23:1563-1572 pubmed publisher..This membrane-anchoring myristylation switch is independent of A Kinase Anchoring Proteins (AKAPs) that target PKA to membranes by other mechanisms. ..