Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Vernalization and epigenetics: how plants remember winterSibum Sung
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 53706, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 7:4-10. 2004..VIN3 is involved in initiating the modification of FLC chromatin structure. The stable silencing of FLC also requires the DNA-binding protein VERNALIZATION1 (VRN1) and the polycomb-group protein VRN2...
- Remembering winter: toward a molecular understanding of vernalizationSibum Sung
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Annu Rev Plant Biol 56:491-508. 2005..Recent work has demonstrated that covalent modifications of histones in the chromatin of target loci are part of the molecular mechanism by which certain repressors are silenced during vernalization...
- Histone arginine methylation is required for vernalization-induced epigenetic silencing of FLC in winter-annual Arabidopsis thalianaRobert J Schmitz
Laboratory of Genetics and Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:411-6. 2008..Furthermore, the levels of arginine methylation of FLC chromatin increase after vernalization. Therefore, arginine methylation of FLC chromatin is part of the histone code that is required for mitotic stability of the vernalized state...
- Molecular genetic studies of the memory of winterSibum Sung
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Exp Bot 57:3369-77. 2006..The nature of this epigenetic switch in Arabidopsis thaliana is discussed here...
- A PHD finger protein involved in both the vernalization and photoperiod pathways in ArabidopsisSibum Sung
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Genes Dev 20:3244-8. 2006..In addition, VIL1 regulates FLM independently of VIN3 in a photoperiod-dependent manner...
- Vernalization in Arabidopsis thaliana is mediated by the PHD finger protein VIN3Sibum Sung
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Nature 427:159-64. 2004..Here we identify a gene with a function in the measurement of the duration of cold exposure and in the establishment of the vernalized state. We show that this silencing involves changes in the modification of histones in FLC chromatin...
- Epigenetic maintenance of the vernalized state in Arabidopsis thaliana requires LIKE HETEROCHROMATIN PROTEIN 1Sibum Sung
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Nat Genet 38:706-10. 2006..LHP1 is enriched at FLC chromatin after prolonged exposure to cold, and LHP1 activity is needed to maintain the increased levels of H3K9 dimethylation at FLC chromatin that are characteristic of the vernalized state...
- The TIME FOR COFFEE gene maintains the amplitude and timing of Arabidopsis circadian clocksAnthony Hall
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 15:2719-29. 2003..In contrast to tic and elf3 single mutants, tic elf3 double mutants are completely arrhythmic. Even the robust circadian clock of plants cannot function with defects at two different phases...