Jamie L Studts
Affiliation: University of Louisville
- Validity of self-reported smoking status among participants in a lung cancer screening trialJamie L Studts
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1825-8. 2006..96, P < 0.001, 95% confidence interval = 0.88-1.00). In conclusion, self-reported smoking status among participants in a lung cancer screening trial was highly consistent with urinary cotinine test results...
- Tobacco cessation treatment knowledge, attitudes and practices of Kentucky physiciansJamie L Studts
Department of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, KY 40202, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 105:497-507. 2007..Effective training and resources would provide physicians with the tools necessary to intervene with tobacco users more consistently and to reduce the health and economic burden of tobacco use and dependence in Kentucky...
- Preferences for different methods of communicating information regarding adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancerJamie L Studts
James Graham Brown Cancer Center, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Psychooncology 14:647-60. 2005..Failure to use clear and concise methods of communicating quantitative risk and benefit information may compromise efforts to obtain informed consent for treatment...
- Factors associated with surgical options for breast carcinomaAnees B Chagpar
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Louisville, KY, USA
Cancer 106:1462-6. 2006..The current study evaluated the impact of patient and physician factors on surgical decision-making...
- Biological and psychological factors associated with memory function in fibromyalgia syndromeSandra E Sephton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Health Psychol 22:592-7. 2003..Depressive symptoms were negatively associated with verbal recall. These findings suggest that a basic disorder of endocrine stress responses may contribute to the cognitive symptoms experienced by fibromyalgia patients...
- A novel classification scheme for gastroparesis based on predominant-symptom presentationSteven P Harrell
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:455-9. 2008..Symptoms of gastroparesis are very diverse. Classifying patients by predominant symptom may improve management strategy...
- Mindfulness meditation alleviates depressive symptoms in women with fibromyalgia: results of a randomized clinical trialSandra E Sephton
University of Louisville and James Graham Brown Cancer Center, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Arthritis Rheum 57:77-85. 2007..The objective of this study was to test the effects of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) intervention on depressive symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia...
- The relationship between weight loss and health-related quality of life in persons treated for head and neck cancerBarbara A Head
University of Louisville School of Medicine, MDR Bldg, Suite 110, 511 South Floyd St, Ste 110, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Support Care Cancer 19:1511-8. 2011..This study explores the relationship between weight loss, health-related quality of life (HRQOL), and symptom burden in patients treated for head and neck cancers...
- Method of presenting oncology treatment outcomes influences patient treatment decision-making in metastatic colorectal cancerRobert C G Martin
Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 315 East Broadway, Room 313, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 13:86-95. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine the influence of three different methods of describing the efficacy of therapy on treatment decisions regarding management of metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Mindfulness meditation for symptom reduction in fibromyalgia: psychophysiological correlatesElizabeth Lush
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, University of Louisville, 2301 South Third Street, Life Sciences Building, Suite 317, Louisville, KY, 40202, USA
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 16:200-7. 2009..Arthr Rheum 57:77-85, 2007). This second study explores the effects of MBSR on basal sympathetic (SNS) activation among women with fibromyalgia...
- Development of a telehealth intervention for head and neck cancer patientsBarbara A Head
Interdisciplinary Program for Palliative Care and Chronic Illness, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Medical Dental Research Building, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Telemed J E Health 15:44-52. 2009..This telehealth intervention provides support and education to patients undergoing treatment for head and neck cancers...
- Decision making and distress among individuals diagnosed with follicular lymphomaJennifer K Poe
Department of Psychology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
J Psychosoc Oncol 30:426-45. 2012..Research is needed to clarify the cause and course of the psychological distress revealed in this study...
- Use of the Distress Thermometer to discern clinically relevant quality of life differences in women with breast cancerBarbara Anderson Head
University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY, USA
Qual Life Res 21:215-23. 2012..The purpose of this study was to explore the ability of Distress Thermometer (DT) scores to discern important differences in quality of life scores among women with breast cancer...
- The implementation of smoking cessation counseling in substance abuse treatmentHannah K Knudsen
Department of Behavioral Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, 40536 0086, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 39:28-41. 2012..These results highlight the importance of organizational contexts as well as counselors' knowledge and attitudes for effective implementation of smoking cessation counseling in substance abuse treatment organizations...
- Religiosity may help preserve the cortisol rhythm in women with stress-related illnessEric A Dedert
University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 34:61-77. 2004..No significant effects of religiosity or spirituality on perceived stress were observed. CONCLUSIONS: These data suggest that religiosity may have a protective effect on the physiological effects of stress among women with fibromyalgia...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: how presentation of recurrence risk influences decision-makingCelia Chao
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Route 0527, Galveston, TX 77555 0527, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:4299-305. 2003..We hypothesized that the four methods of communicating mathematically equivalent risk information would lead to different chemotherapy decisions...
- Fatigue and fatigue-related symptoms in an orofacial pain populationReny de Leeuw
Orofacial Pain Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0297, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 99:168-74. 2005....
- Psychological impact of benign breast biopsy: a longitudinal, comparative studyMichael A Andrykowski
Department of Behavioral Science, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536-0086, USA
Health Psychol 21:485-94. 2002..Results support the monitoring process model (S. M. Miller, 1995) and the cognitive social health information processing model (S. M. Miller, Y. Shoda, & K. Hurley, 1996)...
- Recent advances and future directions in the biopsychosocial assessment and treatment of arthritisFrancis J Keefe
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 70:640-55. 2002..The 3rd part of the article reviews studies that testing the efficacy of biopsychosocial treatment approaches for persons having osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis...