Irina A Strigo
Affiliation: University of California
- Further evidence of emotional allodynia in unmedicated young adults with major depressive disorderAlexander Ushinsky
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e80507. 2013..We hypothesized that emotional allodynia will be a robust characteristic of individuals with MDD compared to healthy controls. Thus, it would remain following acute mood induction, independent of valence...
- Too hard to control: compromised pain anticipation and modulation in mild traumatic brain injuryI A Strigo
1 Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA 2 University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA 3 BioCircuits Institute, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Transl Psychiatry 4:e340. 2014..Understanding these mechanisms of dysfunctional acute pain processing following MTBI may help shed light on the underlying causes of increased vulnerability for the development of pain-related conditions in this population...
- Decreased frontal regulation during pain anticipation in unmedicated subjects with major depressive disorderI A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
Transl Psychiatry 3:e239. 2013..These results support and provide functional validation of the co-occurring enhanced 'bottom-up' and attenuated 'top-down' processing of salient, unpleasant emotional information in MDD...
- Altered insula activation during pain anticipation in individuals recovered from anorexia nervosa: evidence of interoceptive dysregulationIrina A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, Building 13, MC 9151 B, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
Int J Eat Disord 46:23-33. 2013..Pain is an interoceptive process with well-characterized neuroanatomical pathways that may overlap to a large degree with neural systems that may be dysregulated in individuals with AN, such as the insula...
- The relationship between amygdala activation and passive exposure time to an aversive cue during a continuous performance taskIrina A Strigo
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e15093. 2010..We suggest that amygdala activation during negative anticipatory processing depends directly on the passive exposure time to the negative cue...
- Neural correlates of altered pain response in women with posttraumatic stress disorder from intimate partner violenceIrina A Strigo
University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92161, USA
Biol Psychiatry 68:442-50. 2010..The aim of this study was to examine the neurobehavioral correlates of experimental pain in women with IPV-related PTSD...
- Right anterior insula hypoactivity during anticipation of homeostatic shifts in major depressive disorderIrina A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, Building 13, MC 9151 B, La Jolla CA 92161, USA
Psychosom Med 72:316-23. 2010..Although abnormal insula activity during aversive anticipation has been observed in individuals with MDD, the extent to which shifts in homeostatic state during anticipation affect insular activity in MDD subjects has not been reported...
- Association of major depressive disorder with altered functional brain response during anticipation and processing of heat painIrina A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, Bldg 13, MC 9151 B, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:1275-84. 2008..Chronic pain and depression are highly comorbid conditions, yet little is known about the neurobiological basis of pain processing in major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Increased affective bias revealed using experimental graded heat stimuli in young depressed adults: evidence of "emotional allodynia"Irina A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 8950 Villa La Jolla Dr, Suite C213, La Jolla, CA 92037 0985, USA
Psychosom Med 70:338-44. 2008..Existing evidence indicates that MDD may be associated with altered pain processing. However, the extent to which alterations in experimentally controlled heat pain sensations are related to increased affective bias in MDD is unknown...
- Anxiety positive subjects show altered processing in the anterior insula during anticipation of negative stimuliAlan N Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 32:1836-46. 2011..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that anxiety is related to greater anticipatory reactivity in the brain and that there may be functional asymmetries in the brain that interact with psychiatric traits...
- Decreased functional coupling of the amygdala and supragenual cingulate is related to increased depression in unmedicated individuals with current major depressive disorderScott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, United States
J Affect Disord 111:13-20. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine the degree to which alterations in amygdala-cingulate FC relate to severity of current depressive symptoms in a group of depressed individuals without significant co-morbidities...
- Adolescents with major depression demonstrate increased amygdala activationTony T Yang
University of California, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 49:42-51. 2010....
- Escitalopram attenuates posterior cingulate activity during self-evaluation in healthy volunteersScott C Matthews
Research Service, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Psychiatry Res 182:81-7. 2010..These results show that SSRIs change medial cortical activity and may alter self-evaluation...
- Neurosubstrates of remission following prolonged exposure therapy in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorderAlan N Simmons
VA San Diego Healthcare System, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, Calif, USA
Psychother Psychosom 82:382-9. 2013..Prolonged exposure (PE) therapy is the first-line treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in combat veterans. The underlying brain changes of treatment effect in PTSD are currently unknown...
- Altered insula activation in anticipation of changing emotional states: neural mechanisms underlying cognitive flexibility in Special Operations Forces personnelAlan N Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Neuroreport 23:234-9. 2012..These neural changes may underlie their ability to perform well in stressful situations...
- Initial evidence of a failure to activate right anterior insula during affective set shifting in posttraumatic stress disorderAlan Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychosom Med 71:373-7. 2009..An altered ability to monitor or modulate interoception as it relates to subjective experience may provide a mechanistic explanation for the development of some forms of psychiatric illness...
- The effects of temporal unpredictability in anticipation of negative events in combat veterans with PTSDAlan N Simmons
Research Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92130, USA
J Affect Disord 146:426-32. 2013....
- Demand-specific alteration of medial prefrontal cortex response during an inhibition task in recovered anorexic womenTyson A Oberndorfer
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Int J Eat Disord 44:1-8. 2011..It is well known that individuals with anorexia nervosa (AN) are inhibited and over-controlled. This study investigated a prefrontal-cingulate network that is involved in inhibitory control...
- Diffusion tensor imaging evidence of white matter disruption associated with loss versus alteration of consciousness in warfighters exposed to combat in Operations Enduring and Iraqi FreedomScott C Matthews
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Psychiatry Res 204:149-54. 2012..These preliminary results show that LOC is associated with detectable alterations in brain microstructure and may suggest a brain basis for psychiatric symptoms and mental illness after mTBI...
- Altered amygdala activation during face processing in Iraqi and Afghanistani war veteransAlan N Simmons
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Biol Mood Anxiety Disord 1:6. 2011..abstract:..
- Evidence for acute central sensitization to prolonged experimental pain in posttraumatic stress disorderTobias Moeller-Bertram
Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health, San Diego, California, USA VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA Department of Anesthesiology, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Pain Med 15:762-71. 2014..The aim of this psychophysical study was to investigate the behavioral response to a prolonged suprathreshold pain stimulus in subjects with combat-related PTSD and combat controls (CC) for clinical evidence of central sensitization...
- Pain and emotion in the insular cortex: evidence for functional reorganization in major depressionIsabella Mutschler
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Neurosci Lett 520:204-9. 2012..e., where pain-processing takes place in healthy subjects, may play a role in "emotional allodynia" - a notion that individuals with MDD experience pain in response to stimuli that are normally not painful...
- The parametric, psychological, neuropsychological, and neuroanatomical properties of self and world evaluationAlan N Simmons
Mental Health, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e31509. 2012..To fill this gap we created the Self and World Evaluation Expressions Test(SWEET)...
- A multimodal imaging study in U.S. veterans of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom with and without major depression after blast-related concussionScott C Matthews
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, USA
Neuroimage 54:S69-75. 2011....
- Pain and post traumatic stress disorder - review of clinical and experimental evidenceTobias Moeller-Bertram
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuropharmacology 62:586-97. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder'...
- Voxel-based morphometry of patients with schizophrenia or bipolar I disorder: a matched control studyGregory G Brown
VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 194:149-56. 2011..The hippocampal and amygdala findings confirm predictions derived from recent meta-analyses. These structural abnormalities may be important factors in the differential manifestations of these two functional psychotic disorders...
- The effects of racemic ketamine on painful stimulation of skin and viscera in human subjectsIrina A Strigo
Department of Anesthesia, Centre for Research on Pain, McGill University, 3640 University Street, Rm M 19, Montreal, Que H3A 2B2, Canada
Pain 113:255-64. 2005..A decrease in the unpleasantness but not in the intensity of cutaneous pain may reflect the differential effect of NMDA-R antagonists for the two pain states observed in animal models...
- Anteroposterior somatotopy of innocuous cooling activation focus in human dorsal posterior insular cortexLe H Hua
Atkinson Research Laboratory, Barrow Neurological Institute, 350 West Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 289:R319-R325. 2005..Finally, another focus of strongly graded activation, which we interpret to represent thermoregulatory behavioral motivation elicited by dynamic cooling, was observed in the dorsal medial cortex...
- Visceral and cutaneous pain representation in parasylvian cortexIrina A Strigo
Department of Anesthesia, McGill University, Montreal, Canada H3G 1Y6
Neurosci Lett 384:54-9. 2005..01). Our results suggest segregation of visceral esophageal and cutaneous chest afferents within parasylvian cortex, possibly implicating this region in the perceptual differentiation of visceral and cutaneous pain...
- Neural correlates of painful genital touch in women with vulvar vestibulitis syndromeCaroline F Pukall
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Humphrey Hall, 62 Arch Street, Kingston, Ont, Canada K7L 3N6
Pain 115:118-27. 2005....
- Differentiation of visceral and cutaneous pain in the human brainIrina A Strigo
Department of Physiology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
J Neurophysiol 89:3294-303. 2003....
- Psychophysical analysis of visceral and cutaneous pain in human subjectsIrina A Strigo
Department of Physiology McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1Y6
Pain 97:235-46. 2002..The data suggest the likelihood of both similarities and differences in the neural substrates underlying visceral and cutaneous pain...
- The Neural Basis of Pain Modulation in DepressionIrina Strigo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Given the frequent comorbidity of pain and depression, results of this study may fundamentally alter how psychiatrists approach depression and its neurobiological underpinnings. ..
- Neural Processes Underlying Pain Perception in DepressionIrina Strigo; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identifying the mechanism of the aberrant response to stress in depressed individuals may identify neural substrates that predict symptom formation and can potentially serve as biomarkers for future therapeutic intervention. ..