JOHN C STEIN
Affiliation: University of California
- Emergency Department Ultrasound Credentialing: a sample policy and procedureJOHN C STEIN
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Emerg Med 37:153-9. 2009..This document is intended as a guideline for credentialing committees and will require alteration to meet the needs of each different hospital; however, the overall framework should allow for a less time-consuming process...
- FGF-23 and PTH levels in patients with acute kidney injury: A cross-sectional case series studyMaryann Zhang
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Ann Intensive Care 1:21. 2011..abstract:..
- Performance characteristics of clinical diagnosis, a clinical decision rule, and a rapid influenza test in the detection of influenza infection in a community sample of adultsJohn Stein
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Ann Emerg Med 46:412-9. 2005..The accurate diagnosis of influenza remains a diagnostic dilemma. We examine the performance of various strategies for diagnosing influenza infection in an unselected sample of adults during influenza season...
- A randomized trial of computer kiosk-expedited management of cystitis in the emergency departmentJOHN C STEIN
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Acad Emerg Med 18:1053-9. 2011..The objective was to assess the efficiency and safety of an interactive computer kiosk module for the management of uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTI) in emergency departments (EDs)...
- A survey of bedside ultrasound use by emergency physicians in CaliforniaJOHN C STEIN
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California, 505 Parnassus Ave, Box 0208, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Ultrasound Med 28:757-63. 2009..The purpose of this study was to investigate the current practice of emergency physician-performed bedside ultrasound examinations in California and to assess differences between academic and community practice...
- Emergency physician ultrasonography for evaluating patients at risk for ectopic pregnancy: a meta-analysisJOHN C STEIN
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Ann Emerg Med 56:674-83. 2010..We present a meta-analysis of the use of emergency physician ultrasonography in the evaluation of patients at risk of ectopic pregnancy...
- Benefit or burden? A sociotechnical analysis of diagnostic computer kiosks in four California hospital emergency departmentsSara L Ackerman
University of California, San Francisco, United States
Soc Sci Med 75:2378-85. 2012..The design and deployment of new IT projects in complex medical settings would benefit from empirically informed understandings of, and responses to, the contingent properties of human-technology relations...
- Differential use of diagnostic ultrasound in u.s. Emergency departments by time of dayJOHN C STEIN
University of California, San Francisco
West J Emerg Med 12:90-5. 2011..Survey data over the last several decades suggests that emergency department (ED) access to diagnostic ultrasound performed by the radiology department is unreliable, particularly outside of regular business hours...
- Antimicrobial resistance in uncomplicated urinary tract infections in 3 California EDsShannon E Moffett
Department of Emergency Medicine, Alameda County Medical Center Highland Campus, Oakland, CA 94602, USA
Am J Emerg Med 30:942-9. 2012..2009;16(6):500-507). Whether prescribing changes have affected susceptibility in uropathogens is unclear. Using narrow-spectrum agents and therapy tailored to local susceptibilities remain important goals...
- Use of a β-hCG discriminatory zone with bedside pelvic ultrasonographyRalph Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 58:12-20. 2011..We seek to assess the performance of the β human chorionic gonadotropin (β-hCG) "discriminatory zone" when using bedside pelvic ultrasonography in the evaluation of symptomatic pregnant emergency department (ED) patients...
- Necrotizing vasculitis as a complication of propylthiouracilJOHN C STEIN
University of California, San Francisco
West J Emerg Med 9:212-5. 2008..Comprising 1.4% of presenting complaints to emergency departments, most skin complaints are relatively benign; however, some conditions can be quite severe. Prompt diagnosis is essential to avoid unnecessary morbidity and mortality...
- Ultrasound by Emergency Physicians in Ectopic PregnancyJohn Stein; Fiscal Year: 2007..The secondary goal will be to assess the costs related to this new technology. This proposal will lay a research foundation for further examination of quality issues in emergency healthcare. ..