JOHN C STEIN
Affiliation: University of California
- Emergency Department Ultrasound Credentialing: a sample policy and procedureJOHN C STEIN
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Emerg Med 37:153-9. 2009..This document is intended as a guideline for credentialing committees and will require alteration to meet the needs of each different hospital; however, the overall framework should allow for a less time-consuming process...
- FGF-23 and PTH levels in patients with acute kidney injury: A cross-sectional case series studyMaryann Zhang
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Ann Intensive Care 1:21. 2011..abstract:..
- Performance characteristics of clinical diagnosis, a clinical decision rule, and a rapid influenza test in the detection of influenza infection in a community sample of adultsJohn Stein
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Ann Emerg Med 46:412-9. 2005..The accurate diagnosis of influenza remains a diagnostic dilemma. We examine the performance of various strategies for diagnosing influenza infection in an unselected sample of adults during influenza season...
- A randomized trial of computer kiosk-expedited management of cystitis in the emergency departmentJOHN C STEIN
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Acad Emerg Med 18:1053-9. 2011..The objective was to assess the efficiency and safety of an interactive computer kiosk module for the management of uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTI) in emergency departments (EDs)...
- A survey of bedside ultrasound use by emergency physicians in CaliforniaJOHN C STEIN
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California, 505 Parnassus Ave, Box 0208, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Ultrasound Med 28:757-63. 2009..The purpose of this study was to investigate the current practice of emergency physician-performed bedside ultrasound examinations in California and to assess differences between academic and community practice...
- Emergency physician ultrasonography for evaluating patients at risk for ectopic pregnancy: a meta-analysisJOHN C STEIN
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Ann Emerg Med 56:674-83. 2010..We present a meta-analysis of the use of emergency physician ultrasonography in the evaluation of patients at risk of ectopic pregnancy...
- Benefit or burden? A sociotechnical analysis of diagnostic computer kiosks in four California hospital emergency departmentsSara L Ackerman
University of California, San Francisco, United States
Soc Sci Med 75:2378-85. 2012..The design and deployment of new IT projects in complex medical settings would benefit from empirically informed understandings of, and responses to, the contingent properties of human-technology relations...
- Differential use of diagnostic ultrasound in u.s. Emergency departments by time of dayJOHN C STEIN
University of California, San Francisco
West J Emerg Med 12:90-5. 2011..Survey data over the last several decades suggests that emergency department (ED) access to diagnostic ultrasound performed by the radiology department is unreliable, particularly outside of regular business hours...
- Antimicrobial resistance in uncomplicated urinary tract infections in 3 California EDsShannon E Moffett
Department of Emergency Medicine, Alameda County Medical Center Highland Campus, Oakland, CA 94602, USA
Am J Emerg Med 30:942-9. 2012..2009;16(6):500-507). Whether prescribing changes have affected susceptibility in uropathogens is unclear. Using narrow-spectrum agents and therapy tailored to local susceptibilities remain important goals...
- Use of a β-hCG discriminatory zone with bedside pelvic ultrasonographyRalph Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 58:12-20. 2011..We seek to assess the performance of the β human chorionic gonadotropin (β-hCG) "discriminatory zone" when using bedside pelvic ultrasonography in the evaluation of symptomatic pregnant emergency department (ED) patients...
- Regional differences in emergency medical services use for patients with acute stroke (findings from the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey Emergency Department Data File)Prasanthi Govindarajan
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California Electronic address
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 22:e257-63. 2013..Our objectives were to describe the proportion of stroke patients who arrive by ambulance nationwide and to examine regional differences and factors associated with the mode of transport to the emergency department (ED)...
- Necrotizing vasculitis as a complication of propylthiouracilJOHN C STEIN
University of California, San Francisco
West J Emerg Med 9:212-5. 2008..Comprising 1.4% of presenting complaints to emergency departments, most skin complaints are relatively benign; however, some conditions can be quite severe. Prompt diagnosis is essential to avoid unnecessary morbidity and mortality...
- Ultrasound by Emergency Physicians in Ectopic PregnancyJohn Stein; Fiscal Year: 2007..The secondary goal will be to assess the costs related to this new technology. This proposal will lay a research foundation for further examination of quality issues in emergency healthcare. ..