Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Neuropsychiatric findings in Cushing syndrome and exogenous glucocorticoid administrationMonica N Starkman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 42:477-88. 2013..The research findings also shed light on neuropsychiatric abnormalities in conditions that have substantial subgroups exhibiting elevated and dysregulated cortisol: aging, major depressive disorder and Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Elevated cortisol levels in Cushing's disease are associated with cognitive decrementsM N Starkman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0840, USA
Psychosom Med 63:985-93. 2001..The objective of this study was to use Cushing's disease as a unique human model to elucidate the cognitive deficits resulting from exposure to chronic stress-level elevations of endogenous cortisol...
- Improvement in mood and ideation associated with increase in right caudate volumeMonica N Starkman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, University of Michigan, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0840, United States
J Affect Disord 101:139-47. 2007..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that after treatment of Cushing's disease reduces elevated cortisol, improvement in mood and related ideations are associated with increase in caudate volume...
- Improvement in learning associated with increase in hippocampal formation volumeMonica N Starkman
Department of Psychiatry MNS, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0840, USA
Biol Psychiatry 53:233-8. 2003..In the present study, we examined whether the structural increase was associated with improvement in cognition...
- Location of ectopic adrenocortical hormone-secreting tumors causing Cushing's syndrome in the paranasal sinusesIsrael Hodish
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Head Neck 31:699-706. 2009..The majority of ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)-secreting tumors are localized in the chest or abdomen. Occasionally, these tumors are found in the paranasal sinuses...
- Patterns of cognitive change over time and relationship to age following successful treatment of Cushing's diseaseJulie N Hook
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Health Systems, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:21-9. 2007..Overall, these findings suggest that at least some of the deleterious effects of prolonged hypercortisolemia on cognitive functioning are potentially reversible, up to at least 18 months post treatment...
- The terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, as psychological toxin: increase in suicide attemptsMonica N Starkman
Department of Psychiatry and Depression Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 194:547-50. 2006..The effects of chronic stress in the general population across the United States elicited by the terrorism of September 11, 2001, may have been of greater magnitude and longer lasting than previously realized...
- COGNITION, STEROIDS AND IMAGING IN CUSHINGS DISEASEMONICA STARKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..The rationale for developing protective drugs such as site-specific glucocorticoid receptor antagonists or excitatory amino acid suppressors would be strengthened. ..