Genomes and Genes
Michael S Stalvey
Affiliation: University of Massachusetts Medical School
- A multi-center controlled trial of growth hormone treatment in children with cystic fibrosisMichael S Stalvey
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 47:252-63. 2012..We evaluated safety and efficacy of recombinant human growth hormone (rhGH) for improving growth, lean body mass (LBM), pulmonary function, and exercise tolerance in children with cystic fibrosis (CF) and growth restriction...
- CFTR mutations impart elevated immune reactivity in a murine model of cystic fibrosis related diabetesMichael S Stalvey
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, College of Medicine, P O Box 100296, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Cytokine 44:154-9. 2008..These results suggest that, hyperglycemia may exacerbate the clinical course in CF by impacting immune reactivity. There is clear need to maximize metabolic management in CFRD...
- Growth hormone therapy improves growth in children with cystic fibrosis related liver diseaseMichael S Stalvey
University of Florida, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Gainesville, FL, USA
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 21:793-7. 2008..The second patient was a 5 month-old male with advanced liver disease who had transient improved growth and liver function following rhGH. These patients suggest that rhGH is safe and may be effective in children with CFLD...
- Endocrine parameters of cystic fibrosis: back to basicsMichael S Stalvey
Department of Pediatrics and the Gene Therapy Center, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
J Cell Biochem 108:353-61. 2009..In this review, we focus on the known and hypothesized pathogenesis of these two disorders. Additionally, the molecular underpinnings of CF will be explained along with the potential interactions with endocrine disease phenotypes...
- Murine model for cystic fibrosis bone disease demonstrates osteopenia and sex-related differences in bone formationTroy D Pashuck
Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Pediatr Res 65:311-6. 2009..This proanabolic observation in male CF mice is consistent with other clinical sex differences in CF...
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator deficiency exacerbates islet cell dysfunction after beta-cell injuryMichael S Stalvey
Department of Pathology, University of Florida, College of Medicine, PO Box 100275, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Diabetes 55:1939-45. 2006..These studies suggest metabolic derangements in CFRD originate from an islet dysfunction inherent to the CFTR(-/-) state...