Affiliation: University of Utah
- The evolution of definitions for nursing informatics: a critical analysis and revised definitionNancy Staggers
Information Technology Services, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84108, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:255-61. 2002..A separate role specification for informatics nurse specialists is provided...
- A Delphi study to determine informatics competencies for nurses at four levels of practiceNancy Staggers
Information Technology Services, University of Utah, 421 Wakara Way, Suite 204, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Nurs Res 51:383-90. 2002..Despite its obvious need, a current, research-based list of informatics competencies for nurses is not available...
- The content and context of change of shift report on medical and surgical unitsNancy Staggers
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
J Nurs Adm 39:393-8. 2009..This study was conducted to describe the current content and context of change of shift report (CoSR) on medical and surgical units and explore whether nurses use computerized support during the CoSR process...
- Human factors: imperative concepts for information systems in critical careNancy Staggers
Information Technology Services, Health Sciences Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84108, USA
AACN Clin Issues 14:310-9; quiz 397-8. 2003..The importance of integrating these concepts into advanced practice nurses' environments is made apparent...
- Nurses' evaluations of a novel design for an electronic medication administration recordNancy Staggers
Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Comput Inform Nurs 25:67-75. 2007..2% to 87.8%. Accuracy scores were low for tasks requiring nurses to examine data outside the immediate field of view. Specific design recommendations are made to alleviate accuracy errors for specific tasks in acute care settings...
- Nanotechnology: the coming revolution and its implications for consumers, clinicians, and informaticsNancy Staggers
Informatics Program, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Nurs Outlook 56:268-74. 2008..Given the promise of nanomaterials and the implications across at least these 3 areas, nurses need to understand the capabilities and limitations of nanomaterials, proceed with reasoned caution, and plan now for its wide-ranging impacts...
- A usability assessment of AHLTA in ambulatory clinics at a military medical centerNancy Staggers
College of Nursing, 5750D Health Sciences Education Building, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Mil Med 175:518-24. 2010..Improving the usability of future MHS clinical systems could lead to improved clinical decision making, patient safety, and increased information accuracy...
- The state of the evidence for computerized provider order entry: a systematic review and analysis of the quality of the literatureCharlene R Weir
Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, George E Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
Int J Med Inform 78:365-74. 2009..This paper presents the results of a systematic literature review and a formal analysis of the scientific quality of empirical research on computerized provider order-entry (CPOE) applications...
- Evaluations of physiological monitoring displays: a systematic reviewMatthias Görges
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Clin Monit Comput 22:45-66. 2008..The findings from this review give readers the opportunity to examine past work across studies and set the stage for the design and conduct of future evaluations...
- Assessing recommendations from the IOM's quality chasm reportNancy Staggers
Health Sciences Center, University of Utah, USA
J Healthc Inf Manag 18:30-5. 2004..This paper gives an overview of the IOM report, analyzes several key IT topics, and suggests required actions to effect the IOM's recommendations...
- Electronic information exchange between emergency departments and poison control centers: a Delphi studyMollie R Cummins
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 50:503-13. 2012..We conducted a nationwide Delphi study to determine consensus on legal, operational, and clinical considerations that are important for electronic information exchange between emergency departments and poison control centers...
- Nurses' information management and use of electronic tools during acute care handoffsNancy Staggers
School of Nursing, University of Maryland, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
West J Nurs Res 34:153-73. 2012..This is a call to action for leaders and informaticists as they select and design future electronic tools...
- Hospital electronic medical record-based public health surveillance system deployed during the 2002 Winter Olympic GamesAdi V Gundlapalli
Hospital Epidemiology Unit, Divisions of Clinical Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Am J Infect Control 35:163-71. 2007..Several computer biosurveillance systems are in place to detect events of public health (PH) significance; however, most lack access to timely and detailed patient-level data and investigation of alerts places a strain on PH resources...
- RN, CIO: an executive informatics careerNancy Staggers
Department of Informatics, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Comput Inform Nurs 23:201-6. 2005..This article concludes by describing career development steps toward the CIO position: leadership and management; healthcare operations; organizational finesse; and informatics knowledge, processes, methods, and structures...
- Using personas and prototypes to define nurses' requirements for a novel patient monitoring displaySven Koch
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 146:69-73. 2009..Using personas and paper prototypes is an inexpensive and effective way to assess nurses' requirements and design preferences...
- Philosophical approaches to the nursing informatics data-information-knowledge-wisdom frameworkSusan Matney
College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
ANS Adv Nurs Sci 34:6-18. 2011..Computer systems can support wisdom development. Wisdom is an important element of the DIKW framework and adds value to the role of nursing informaticists and nursing science...
- Evaluation of the effect of information integration in displays for ICU nurses on situation awareness and task completion time: A prospective randomized controlled studySven H Koch
Institute of Medical Biometry and Informatics, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Med Inform 82:665-75. 2013....
- Translating knowledge into practice: passing the hot potato!Nancy Staggers
J Am Med Inform Assoc 14:684-5. 2007
- A Delphi study to validate competencies required of Air Force Medical Surgical (46N3) nurses in mobilized environmentsCharles R Thompson
Affiliated Computer Services Federal Healthcare, Inc, 5201 Leesburg Pike, Sky 3, Suite 600, Falls Church, VA 22041, USA
Mil Med 168:618-25. 2003..Those items not validated were either controversial or perceived as not pertinent in an austere mobilization environment...