DONNA D SPRUIJT-METZ
Affiliation: University of Southern California
- CRP is related to higher leptin levels in minority peripubertal females regardless of adiposity levelsDonna Spruijt-Metz
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:512-6. 2012..00) of the variance in leptin after adjusting %BF, TPS, ethnicity, habitual physical activity and SI. Hence, low-grade inflammation may contribute to prolonged leptin exposure and leptin resistance, even in healthy children...
- High calorie, low nutrient food/beverage intake and video gaming in children as potential signals for addictive behaviorMary Ann Pentz
Department of Preventive Medicine, Institute for Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:4406-24. 2011..Future prevention programs could include skills training for inhibitory control, combined with changes in the built environment that increase safety, e.g., implementing Safe Routes to School Programs...
- Misuse of "study drugs:" prevalence, consequences, and implications for policySteve Sussman
Preventive Medicine and Psychology, Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, 1000 South Fremont, Unit 8, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 1:15. 2006..This paper discusses the current prevalence and consequences of misuse of these drugs and implications of this information for drug policy...
- Development, reliability, and validity of an urban trail use surveyDonna Spruijt-Metz
Institute of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, University of Southern California, Alhambra, California 91803, USA
Am J Health Promot 25:2-11. 2010..To evaluate the psychometric characteristics of the Research on Urban Trail Environments (ROUTES) Trail Use Questionnaire...
- Psychosocial correlates of eating behavior in children and adolescents: a reviewArianna D McClain
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Alhambra, CA USA
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6:54. 2009..abstract:..
- A high-sugar/low-fiber meal compared with a low-sugar/high-fiber meal leads to higher leptin and physical activity levels in overweight Latina femalesDonna Spruijt-Metz
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, USC IPR, 1000 S Fremont, Unit 8, Room 4101, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 109:1058-63. 2009..High-sugar meals sustain glucose and leptin levels longer, which may play an important role in modulating levels of physical activity in this group at high risk for obesity-related disease...
- Reducing sedentary behavior in minority girls via a theory-based, tailored classroom media interventionDonna Spruijt-Metz
Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Alhambra, California 91803, USA
Int J Pediatr Obes 3:240-8. 2008..To develop, implement and test an innovative, theory-based classroom media intervention known as Get Moving! to increase physical activity and decrease sedentary behaviors in predominantly Latina middle school girls...
- Longitudinal influence of mother's child-feeding practices on adiposity in childrenDonna Spruijt-Metz
University of Southern California, Alhambra, 91803, USA
J Pediatr 148:314-20. 2006..To date, research has focused on white middle class mother-child dyads. This study examines the longitudinal influences of child-feeding practices with time on total fat mass in white and African American boys and girls...
- Unique contributions of meanings of smoking and outcome expectancies to understanding smoking initiation in middle schoolDonna Spruijt-Metz
University of Southern California, Institute of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
Ann Behav Med 30:104-11. 2005..These conceptually derived factors of meanings of smoking have not previously been empirically studied...
- Meanings of smoking and adolescent smoking across ethnicitiesDonna Spruijt-Metz
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, Institute of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, 1000 S Fremont, Rm 4101, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
J Adolesc Health 35:197-205. 2004..To develop insight into population-specific meanings of smoking in our highly multicultural middle schools in order to provide effective and appropriate tools for smoking prevention efforts...
- Relation between mothers' child-feeding practices and children's adiposityDonna Spruijt-Metz
Department of Preventive Medicine, The University of Southern California, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:581-6. 2002..The prevalence of obesity in American children is currently estimated to be 25%. Poor nutritional habits during childhood have been directly related to pediatric obesity...
- Physical Activity & Weight Concerns: Adolescent GirlsDonna Spruijt Metz; Fiscal Year: 2003..I. to interact with the sponsor, Dr. Goran, in addition to Dr. Anderson-Johnson, Dr. Stacy, Dr. Chou, and other excellent scientist at USC will promote her continued development as an independent researcher. ..