Affiliation: University of Utah
- Single-dose, patient-initiated famciclovir: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial for episodic treatment of herpes labialisSpotswood L Spruance
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132-2405, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:47-53. 2006..LIMITATIONS: The active arms of this trial were not directly compared to other antiviral regimens. CONCLUSION: Single-dose famciclovir reduced time to healing of herpes labialis lesions by approximately 2 days compared with placebo...
- Hazard ratio in clinical trialsSpotswood L Spruance
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132-2405, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2787-92. 2004
- Acyclovir cream for treatment of herpes simplex labialis: results of two randomized, double-blind, vehicle-controlled, multicenter clinical trialsSpotswood L Spruance
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2238-43. 2002..Acyclovir cream did not prevent the development of classical lesions (progression to vesicles, ulcers, and/or crusts). Adverse events were mild and infrequent...
- Short-course therapy for recurrent genital herpes and herpes labialisSpotswood Spruance
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Utah School of Medicine, Room 4B319, 30 North 1900 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84132-2405, USA
J Fam Pract 56:30-6. 2007
- Treatment of herpes simplex labialisSpotswood L Spruance
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Utah School of Medicine, Room 4B319, 30 North 1900 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 2405, USA
Herpes 9:64-9. 2002..Selected subgroups of patients are candidates for prophylactic treatment with perorally administered nucleoside antiviral agents. Prophylaxis with topical agents is not effective...
- High-dose, short-duration, early valacyclovir therapy for episodic treatment of cold sores: results of two randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter studiesSpotswood L Spruance
University of Utah, Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, Salt Lake City 84132, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:1072-80. 2003..The 1-day valacyclovir regimen offers patients a unique and convenient dosing alternative compared to available topical therapies...
- Clinical significance of antiviral therapy for episodic treatment of herpes labialis: exploratory analyses of the combined data from two valaciclovir trialsSpotswood L Spruance
Division of Infectious Diseases, RM 4B319, University of Utah School of Medicine, 50 North Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:703-7. 2004..We also introduce a new measure that combines the two observed drug effects (reduced lesion duration, increased aborted lesions) into a single endpoint that captures the global benefit of the drug to the patient...
- Single-dose famciclovir for the treatment of herpes labialisChristopher Hull
Department of Dermatology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 2405, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1699-702. 2006..The pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic profile of famciclovir suggests that it could be utilized for episodic treatment for immunocompetent individuals as well...
- Situational antiviral drug prophylaxis for HSV type 1 recurrencesChristopher Hull
Department of Dermatology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Herpes 14:37-40. 2007..Controlled trials demonstrate that antiviral drug prophylaxis can be efficacious in selected circumstances; even for other situations, clinical reports suggest that such antiviral drug prophylaxis remains effective...
- Recurrent antiviral-resistant genital herpes in an immunocompetent patientJohn D Kriesel
Department of Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Infect Dis 192:156-61. 2005..These findings support the conclusion that both drug-sensitive and drug-resistant HSV-2 strains established latency in this patient and that both strains are capable of frequent reactivation...
- Susceptibility of herpes simplex virus isolates to nucleoside analogues and the proportion of nucleoside-resistant variants after repeated topical application of penciclovir to recurrent herpes labialisYoung Kyoo Shin
Section of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Infect Dis 187:1241-5. 2003..We conclude that antiviral-resistant variants, which are readily detected in HSV isolates from peripheral lesions, do not accumulate in the sensory ganglia of immunocompetent patients receiving multiple courses of nucleoside analogues...
- Topical iontophoretic administration of acyclovir for the episodic treatment of herpes labialis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinic-initiated trialEric M Morrel
Transport Pharmaceuticals, Framingham, Massachusetts 01701, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:460-7. 2006..24%; P = .10). CONCLUSIONS: Single-dose topical iontophoresis of acyclovir appears to be a convenient and effective treatment for cold sores and merits further clinical investigation...
- Glycoprotein-D-adjuvant vaccine to prevent genital herpesLawrence R Stanberry
Department of Pediatrics and Sealy Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 0351, USA
N Engl J Med 347:1652-61. 2002..An effective prophylactic vaccine would help control the spread of genital herpes...
- N-docosanol (Abreva) for herpes labialis: problems and questionsSpotswood L Spruance
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:457-8. 2002
- Effective treatment of herpes simplex labialis with penciclovir cream: combined results of two trialsG Wayne Raborn
Department of Dentistry, University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Edmonton, Canada
J Am Dent Assoc 133:303-9. 2002..Two randomized, double-blind, parallel-group clinical trials were conducted in Europe and North America to compare the efficacy and safety of topical 1 percent penciclovir cream with a placebo cream...
- Evaluation of imiquimod 5% cream to modify the natural history of herpes labialis: a pilot studyDavid I Bernstein
Children s Hospital Medical Center Division of Infectious Diseases, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:808-14. 2005..Therefore, we evaluated the safety and potential of topical imiquimod to decrease the rate of recurrence in humans with a history of recurrent herpes labialis...