Mark S Springer
Affiliation: University of California
- Meredith R, Gatesy J, Springer M. Molecular decay of enamel matrix protein genes in turtles and other edentulous amniotes. BMC Evol Biol. 2013;13:20 pubmed publisher..The widespread occurrence of EMP pseudogenes in turtles, birds, and edentulous/enamelless mammals also provides compelling evidence that in amniotes, the only unique, non-redundant function of these genes is in enamel formation. ..
- Springer M, Cleven G, Madsen O, de Jong W, Waddell V, Amrine H, et al. Endemic African mammals shake the phylogenetic tree. Nature. 1997;388:61-4 pubmed..12S ribosomal RNA transversions suggest that the base of this radiation occurred during Africa's window of isolation in the Cretaceous period before land connections were developed with Europe in the early Cenozoic era...
- Springer M, Meredith R, Gatesy J, Emerling C, Park J, Rabosky D, et al. Macroevolutionary dynamics and historical biogeography of primate diversification inferred from a species supermatrix. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49521 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the power and limitations of inferring diversification dynamics from molecular phylogenies, as well as the sensitivity of diversification analyses to different species concepts...
- Springer M, Meredith R, Teeling E, Murphy W. Technical comment on "The placental mammal ancestor and the post-K-Pg radiation of placentals". Science. 2013;341:613 pubmed publisher..This conclusion relies on phylogenetic analyses that fail to discriminate between homology and homoplasy and further implies virus-like rates of nucleotide substitution in early Paleocene placentals. ..
- Springer M, Starrett J, Morin P, Lanzetti A, Hayashi C, Gatesy J. Inactivation of C4orf26 in toothless placental mammals. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2016;95:34-45 pubmed publisher..A caveat is that an alternative splice site variant, which translates exon 3 in a different reading frame, is putatively functional in Catarrhini and may have evolved an additional role in this primate clade. ..