James R Sowers
Affiliation: University of Missouri
- Aroor A, Zuberek M, Duta C, Meuth A, Sowers J, Whaley Connell A, et al. Angiotensin II Stimulation of DPP4 Activity Regulates Megalin in the Proximal Tubules. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..Therefore, our study reveals a cross talk between AT?R signaling and DPP4 activation in the regulation of megalin and underscores the significance of targeting DPP4 in the prevention of obesity related kidney injury progression. ..
- Padilla J, Ramirez Perez F, Habibi J, Bostick B, Aroor A, Hayden M, et al. Regular Exercise Reduces Endothelial Cortical Stiffness in Western Diet-Fed Female Mice. Hypertension. 2016;68:1236-1244 pubmed..Comparatively, the same level of exercise caused destiffening effects in peripheral muscular arteries, such as the femoral artery, that perfuse the working limbs. ..
- Cabandugama P, Gardner M, Sowers J. The Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System in Obesity and Hypertension: Roles in the Cardiorenal Metabolic Syndrome. Med Clin North Am. 2017;101:129-137 pubmed publisher..This article updates recent literature with a focus on the function of insulin resistance, obesity, and renin angiotensin aldosterone system-mediated oxidative stress on endothelial dysfunction and the pathogenesis of hypertension. ..
- Bostick B, Aroor A, Habibi J, Durante W, Ma L, Demarco V, et al. Daily exercise prevents diastolic dysfunction and oxidative stress in a female mouse model of western diet induced obesity by maintaining cardiac heme oxygenase-1 levels. Metabolism. 2017;66:14-22 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the reduction in myocardial oxidative stress and fibrosis and improved HO-1 levels in exercising mice suggests a novel mechanism for the antioxidant effect of exercise. ..
- Jia G, Hill M, Sowers J. Diabetic Cardiomyopathy: An Update of Mechanisms Contributing to This Clinical Entity. Circ Res. 2018;122:624-638 pubmed publisher..The aim of this review is to provide a contemporary view of these instigators of diabetic cardiomyopathy, as well as mechanistically based strategies for the prevention and treatment of diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Jia G, Jia Y, Sowers J. Role of mineralocorticoid receptor activation in cardiac diastolic dysfunction. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2017;1863:2012-2018 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Genetic and epigenetic control of heart failure edited by Dr. Jun Ren & Yingmei Zhang. ..
- Aroor A, Jia G, Habibi J, Sun Z, Ramirez Perez F, Brady B, et al. Uric acid promotes vascular stiffness, maladaptive inflammatory responses and proteinuria in western diet fed mice. Metabolism. 2017;74:32-40 pubmed publisher..Consumption of a WD leads to elevations in plasma uric acid, increased vascular XO activity, oxidative stress, vascular stiffness, and proteinuria all of which are attenuated with allopurinol administration. ..
- Jia G, Whaley Connell A, Sowers J. Diabetic cardiomyopathy: a hyperglycaemia- and insulin-resistance-induced heart disease. Diabetologia. 2018;61:21-28 pubmed publisher..We summarise the current understanding of the pathophysiological mechanisms in diabetic cardiomyopathy and explore potential preventative and therapeutic strategies. ..
- Aroor A, Jia G, Sowers J. Cellular Mechanisms Underlying Obesity-Induced Arterial Stiffness. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;:ajpregu.00235.2016 pubmed publisher..In this review, the cellular mechanisms of obesity-associated arterial stiffness are highlighted...