Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Perspectives on whole-organ assembly: moving toward transplantation on demandAlejandro Soto-Gutierrez
Department of Pathology, Transplantation Section of Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Clin Invest 122:3817-23. 2012..In this article, we summarize the most recent advances in this field and provide a perspective on the challenges of translating this promising new technology into a proven regenerative therapy...
- A whole-organ regenerative medicine approach for liver replacementAlejandro Soto-Gutierrez
Transplantation Section, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Center for Innovative Regenerative Therapies, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Tissue Eng Part C Methods 17:677-86. 2011..The present study investigates a new, minimally disruptive method for whole-organ liver decellularization and three different cell reseeding strategies to engineer functional liver tissue...
- Reactive bone marrow stromal cells attenuate systemic inflammation via sTNFR1Hiroshi Yagi
Department of Surgery, Center for Engineering in Medicine and Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Shriners Hospitals for Children, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Mol Ther 18:1857-64. 2010..These results suggest that improvements of inflammatory responses in animal models after local transplantation of MSCs are at least, in part, explained by the NFκB-dependent secretion of sTNFR1 by MSCs...
- The microenvironment in hepatocyte regeneration and function in rats with advanced cirrhosisLiping Liu
Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Hepatology 55:1529-39. 2012..Both, however, recovered more than 2 months after transplantation, indicating that either mature hepatocytes or a subpopulation of adult stem cells are capable of full recovery in severe cirrhosis...
- Liver repopulation and regeneration: new approaches to old questionsAndrew W Duncan
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 18:197-202. 2013....
- Cellular therapy and bioartificial approaches to liver replacementJason A Wertheim
Department of Surgery, Comprehensive Transplant Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 17:235-40. 2012..Despite efforts to expand the donor pool, mortality of patients waiting for a liver remains high due to the shortage of donor organs. Herein, we discuss options for liver replacement that are currently under development...
- Human immune reactivity against liver sinusoidal endothelial cells from GalTα(1,3)GalT-deficient pigsDaan van Poll
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the Shriners Hospitals for Children, Center for Engineering in Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cell Transplant 19:783-9. 2010..Although insufficient to inhibit xenogeneic reactivity completely, transgenic GalT KO expression on pig livers might contribute to a successful application of clinical xenotransplantation in combination with other protective strategies...
- Transplantable liver organoids made from only three ingredientsHolger Willenbring
Department of Surgery, Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research, and Liver Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cell Stem Cell 13:139-40. 2013..expands the range of liver diseases that could be treated with iPSC-derived hepatocytes by combining them with endothelial and stromal cells to generate organoids that survive and function extrahepatically. ..
- Analysis of alternative signaling pathways of endoderm induction of human embryonic stem cells identifies context specific differencesShibin Mathew
Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1249 Benedum Hall, 3700 O Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
BMC Syst Biol 6:154. 2012..In this work we analyze the regulatory interactions mediating different pathways of endoderm induction by identifying co-regulated transcription factors...
- Bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells attenuate organ injury induced by LPS and burnHiroshi Yagi
Department of Surgery, Center for Engineering in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Shriners Hospitals for Children, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cell Transplant 19:823-30. 2010..These data suggest that MSCs emerge as key regulators of immune/inflammatory responses in vivo and as attractive candidates for cell-based treatments for systemic inflammatory-based disorders...
- Induced pluripotent stem cells model personalized variations in liver disease resulting from α1-antitrypsin deficiencyEdgar N Tafaleng
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
Hepatology 62:147-57. 2015....
- A switch in the source of ATP production and a loss in capacity to perform glycolysis are hallmarks of hepatocyte failure in advance liver diseaseTaichiro Nishikawa
Center for Innovative Regenerative Therapies, Department of Surgery, Transplantation Section, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, USA Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
J Hepatol 60:1203-11. 2014..The cause of hepatic failure in the terminal stages of chronic injury is unknown. Cellular metabolic adaptations in response to the microenvironment have been implicated in cellular breakdown...
- Increased reprogramming of human fetal hepatocytes compared with adult hepatocytes in feeder-free conditionsMarc C Hansel
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Cell Transplant 23:27-38. 2014..Fetal hepatocytes reprogram much more efficiently than adult hepatocytes, although both could serve as useful sources of hiPSC-derived hepatocytes for basic research or transplantation. ..
- Assembly of human organs from stem cells to study liver diseaseKan Handa
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Transplantation Section, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute and McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Am J Pathol 184:348-57. 2014..We also discuss applications of liver organotypic surrogates and the challenges of translating the highly promising new field of tissue engineering into a proven platform for predicting drug metabolism and toxicity. ..
- Cell delivery: from cell transplantation to organ engineeringAlejandro Soto-Gutierrez
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the Shriners Hospitals for Children, Center for Engineering in Medicine, Boston, MA 76104, USA
Cell Transplant 19:655-65. 2010....
- Differentiation and transplantation of human embryonic stem cell-derived hepatocytesHesham Basma
Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Gastroenterology 136:990-9. 2009..Embryonic stem cells are pluripotent, potentially can differentiate into any cell type, and therefore could be developed as a source of human hepatocytes...