Affiliation: University of California
- Confidentiality protections versus collaborative care in the treatment of substance use disordersJennifer K Manuel
University of California, San Francisco at San Francisco General Hospital, Bldg 20, Ste, 2100, Rm 2127 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Addict Sci Clin Pract 8:13. 2013....
- Perceptions of drug users regarding hepatitis C screening and care: a qualitative studyAshly E Jordan
Beth Israel Medical Center, 120 East 16th St, New York, NY 10003, USA
Harm Reduct J 10:10. 2013..Racial and ethnic minorities have a higher incidence and prevalence of HCV and higher HCV-related mortality. Factors contributing to poor engagement in care are incompletely understood...
- Directly administered antiretroviral therapy: pilot study of a structural intervention in methadone maintenanceJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 43:418-23. 2012..This study demonstrates that DAART is adaptable and simple enough to be implemented into methadone treatment programs interested in providing HIV adherence services...
- Developing the tools of implementation science in substance use disorders treatment: applications of the consolidated framework for implementation researchJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, UCSF at San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 25:262-8. 2011..These limitations may also be considered as boundary conditions to be explored in further research, implementation, and development of the next edition of the CFIR...
- From Cat's Cradle to Beat the Reaper: getting evidence-based treatments into practice in spite of ourselvesJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, UCSF at San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Addict Behav 36:597-600. 2011..Several concrete steps can be taken to improve the magnitude and speed of change in the field. We cannot change human nature, but we can improve addiction treatment...
- Methadone patients in the therapeutic community: a test of equivalencyJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 100:100-6. 2009..This study used equivalency testing to explore the consequences of admitting opioid-dependent clients currently on methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) into a TC...
- Access to drug abuse treatment under Treatment on Demand policy in San FranciscoJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Fransico, San Francisco General Hospital, California 94110, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 33:227-36. 2007..We evaluated whether implementation of Treatment on Demand (TOD) policy in San Francisco was associated with improved access to drug abuse treatment...
- Voucher reinforcement improves medication adherence in HIV-positive methadone patients: a randomized trialJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, Building 20, Ward 21, 1001 Potrero Avenue, Box 0852, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 88:54-63. 2007..Differences between groups faded after vouchers were discontinued. Contingency management shows promise as a strategy to promote antiretroviral medication adherence in this population...
- HAART adherence strategies for methadone clients who are HIV-positive: a treatment manual for implementing contingency management and medication coachingNancy A Haug
University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Behav Modif 30:752-81. 2006..The purpose of this manual is to describe the intervention procedures for clinicians and to serve as a resource for drug abuse treatment programs that serve clients who are HIV-positive...
- Case management for substance abusers with HIV/AIDS: a randomized clinical trialJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 29:133-50. 2003..The study has limitations yet does not support the hypothesis that case management improves outcomes better than brief contact for this population...
- Predictors of health functioning in two high-risk groups of smokersJudith J Prochaska
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 78:169-75. 2005..05). Severity of depressive symptoms, tobacco use, and opiate use contributed individually and collectively to lower health functioning. Blended treatments that target multiple risk factors are needed to improve health outcomes...
- Randomized trial of drug abuse treatment-linkage strategiesJames L Sorensen
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 94110, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:1026-35. 2005..Case management and vouchers can be valuable in health settings to link substance abusers with medical problems to drug abuse treatment...
- Organizational issues in the implementation of a hospital-based syringe exchange programCarmen L Masson
Department of Psychiatry, San Francisco General Hospital Center, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Subst Use Misuse 45:901-15. 2010..Based on these experiences, this paper provides guidance on how to integrate an SEP into a traditional health care institution...
- Predictors of condom use among men enrolled in drug treatment programsYong S Song
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Francisco at San Francisco General Hospital, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 21:460-73. 2009..Treatment programs can apply these predictors of condom use to better identify individuals at risk for HIV and sexually transmitted infections to better target prevention interventions...
- Psychometric evaluation of the Quality of Life Interview, Brief Version, in injection drug usersDavid A Wasserman
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94114, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 20:316-21. 2006..Unexpectedly, lower baseline QOLI-BV scores predicted opiate abstinence at follow-up. The QOLI-BV appears to be an acceptable quality-of-life measure for use in clinical trials of opioid dependence treatments...
- HIV/hepatitis prevention in drug abuse treatment programs: guidance from researchJames L Sorensen
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Sci Pract Perspect 1:4-11. 2002..Some activities can be accomplished by providers simply becoming aware of the issues; others will require significant infusion of leadership, education, and fiscal support...
- Housing patterns and correlates of homelessness differ by gender among individuals using San Francisco free food programsElise D Riley
San Francisco General Hospital, Epidemiology and Prevention Interventions Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Urban Health 84:415-22. 2007..These results suggest the need to characterize homelessness and develop effective homeless interventions separately for men and women...
- Medical service use and financial charges among opioid users at a public hospitalCarmen L Masson
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco at San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 66:45-50. 2002..The findings suggest that health care providers and policy makers consider policies that promote ambulatory care use among opioid users seeking medical care through the public health care system...
- Contingency management interventions for HIV-related behaviorsNancy A Haug
University of California at San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, Ward 21, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 3:154-9. 2006..CM programs have wide applicability to HIV prevention and management in clinical and community settings and can be implemented as stand-alone techniques or in combination with other interventions...
- Linking opioid-dependent hospital patients to drug treatment: Health care use and costs 6 months after randomizationPaul G Barnett
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Addiction 101:1797-804. 2006..To conduct an economic evaluation of the first 6 months' trial of treatment vouchers and case management for opioid-dependent hospital patients...
- Cigarette smoking in opioid-using patients presenting for hospital-based medical servicesAmie L Haas
San Francisco Treatment Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Am J Addict 17:65-9. 2008..Caucasians tended to smoke more than other ethnicities and exhibited greater dependence. Out-of-treatment drug users continue to be at high risk for continued smoking...
- Hospital- versus community-based syringe exchange: a randomized controlled trialCarmen L Masson
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco at San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 19:97-110. 2007....
- Methadone maintenance therapy in residential therapeutic community settings: challenges and promiseBrian Greenberg
Shelter Network of San Mateo County, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 39:203-10. 2007..The implementation of these staff, patient, and therapeutic adaptations can assist residential substance abuse treatment programs in integrating these two addiction treatment modalities...
- AIDS research in the NIDA Clinical Trials Network: emerging resultsJames L Sorensen
Drug Alcohol Depend 89:310-3. 2007
- Disseminating evidence-based practices in substance abuse treatment: a review with suggestionsWilliam R Miller
Department of Psychology, MSC03 2220, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 31:25-39. 2006..Individual performance feedback and coaching improve the acquisition of clinical skills. Specific incentives for implementation may also be needed to encourage treatment providers, programs, and systems to adopt new approaches...
- Therapeutic Community and Opioid Replacement TherapyJames Sorensen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The research is an important part of the effort to further link the TC and opioid replacement treatment modalities. ..
- DAART+ AS A STRUCTURAL HIV INTERVENTION IN METHADONE MAINTENANCEJames Sorensen; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..