S S Solomon
Affiliation: University of Tennessee
- TNF-alpha inhibits insulin action in liver and adipose tissue: A model of metabolic syndromeS S Solomon
Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis, USA
Horm Metab Res 42:115-21. 2010....
- A critical role of Sp1 transcription factor in regulating gene expression in response to insulin and other hormonesSolomon S Solomon
Research Service, VA Medical Center, 1030 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, TN 38104, USA
Life Sci 83:305-12. 2008....
- Impact of medical student research in the development of physician-scientistsSolomon S Solomon
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis TN 38104, USA
J Investig Med 51:149-56. 2003..Few have emphasized early medical student research experiences as a contributing solution...
- Mechanisms involved in tumor necrosis factor-alpha induction of insulin resistance and its reversal by thiazolidinedione(s)S S Solomon
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
Am J Med Sci 322:75-8. 2001..These data support the efficacy of using thiazolidinediones (TRG) in human type 2 diabetes, and support the use of this cell culture model to further study the effects of thiazolidinediones on TNF-alpha-induced insulin resistance...
- Pioglitazone and metformin reverse insulin resistance induced by tumor necrosis factor-alpha in liver cellsS S Solomon
Research Service, VAMC, Memphis, USA
Horm Metab Res 29:379-82. 1997....
- Insulin deprivation leads to deficiency of Sp1 transcription factor in H-411E hepatoma cells and in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ketoacidosis in the ratX Pan
Research, Medical, and Pathology Services, Veterans Affairs Medical Center of Memphis, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
Endocrinology 142:1635-42. 2001..In summary, insulin stimulates Sp1 protein, a transcription factor that is shown to regulate calmodulin gene expression and most likely other, as yet untested, genes...
- Growth hormone and carbohydrate intolerance in cirrhosisT P Shankar
Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee
Horm Metab Res 20:579-83. 1988..5 +/- 1.5 mg/kg/min during somatostatin infusion, P less than 0.025. We conclude that patients with alcohol induced cirrhosis have sustained GH elevations resulting in insulin resistance which improves after GH suppression...
- Genomes, transcriptomes, and proteomes: molecular medicine and its impact on medical practiceIvan C Gerling
Division of Endocrinology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, VAMC Research 151, 1030 Jefferson Ave, Memphis, TN 38104, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:190-8. 2003..Their potential use and impact are demonstrated by using diabetes mellitus as an example of a common and serious medical disorder. Finally, several potentially adverse consequences of "excessive" knowledge are discussed...
- Proteome of H-411E (liver) cells exposed to insulin and tumor necrosis factor-alpha: analysis of proteins involved in insulin resistanceSolomon S Solomon
Research and Medical Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
J Lab Clin Med 145:275-83. 2005..Although one cannot detail the mechanism or mechanisms of TNF-alpha induced IR from this data alone, it is easy to relate all of these proteins to a role in insulin signal transduction and, hence, insulin resistance...
- Paradoxical regulation of Sp1 transcription factor by glucagonChithra N Keembiyehetty
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Research Services, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38104, USA
Endocrinology 143:1512-20. 2002..Finally, as judged by immunoblotting to specific antibody, insulin but not glucagon, stimulated O-glycosylation of Sp1. Thus, unique signaling mechanisms mediate the response of Sp1 to glucagon in the presence or absence of insulin...
- O-glycosylation of Sp1 and transcriptional regulation of the calmodulin gene by insulin and glucagonGipsy Majumdar
Research Services, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis, TN 38104, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 285:E584-91. 2003..Thus O-glycosylation of Sp1 by insulin, but not glucagon, apparently enhances its (Sp1) nuclear recruitment and results in activation of CaM gene transcription...
- Insulin stimulates and diabetes inhibits O-linked N-acetylglucosamine transferase and O-glycosylation of Sp1Gipsy Majumdar
Research Services, VA Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Diabetes 53:3184-92. 2004..We conclude that insulin stimulates CaM gene transcription via a dynamic interplay between O-glycosylation and phosphorylation of Sp1 that modulates stability, mobility, subcellular compartmentalization, and activity...
- Sounding board: diabetes mellitus in the elderly: a truly heterogeneous entity?Sanjay Ratnakant
Medical Services, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 5:81-92. 2003
- Short-Term Research Training for Medical StudentsSolomon Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2007..5 million in annual grant awards and $33.0 million in pending grants, are available as research preceptors. Additional faculty members who meet these high standards will be included as preceptors in the future. ..