Julie A Sochalski
Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Will mandated minimum nurse staffing ratios lead to better patient outcomes?Julie Sochalski
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Med Care 46:606-13. 2008..Mandatory hospital nurse staffing ratios are under consideration in a number of states without strong empirical evidence of the optimal ratio...
- What works in chronic care management: the case of heart failureJulie Sochalski
School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 28:179-89. 2009..Our study offers policymakers and health plan administrators important guideposts for developing an evidence base on which to build effective policy and programmatic initiatives for chronic care management...
- Investing in the Nurse Reinvestment ActJulie Sochalski
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6096, USA
J Prof Nurs 19:182-3. 2003
- Is more better?: the relationship between nurse staffing and the quality of nursing care in hospitalsJulie Sochalski
School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6096, USA
Med Care 42:II67-73. 2004..The objective of this study was to examine the effects of nurse staffing and process of nursing care indicators on assessments of the quality of nursing care...
- Building a home healthcare workforce to meet the quality imperativeJulie Sochalski
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Healthc Qual 26:19-23. 2004....
- Hospital nurse staffing and patient mortality, nurse burnout, and job dissatisfactionLinda H Aiken
Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, 420 Guardian Dr, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6096, USA
JAMA 288:1987-93. 2002....
- Trends in international nurse migrationLinda H Aiken
Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 23:69-77. 2004....
- Trends in characteristics and country of origin among foreign-trained nurses in the United States, 1990 and 2000Daniel Polsky
School of Medicine and the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Am J Public Health 97:895-9. 2007..We describe long-term trends in the characteristics of foreign-trained new entrants to the registered nurse (RN) workforce in the United States...
- Developing an instrument to measure heart failure disease management program intensity and complexityBarbara Riegel
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 19104 4217, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 3:324-30. 2010..The purpose of this effort was to develop an instrument that can be used to describe the intensity and complexity of heart failure (HF) disease management programs...
- Measuring nursing care time and tasks in long-term services and supports: one size does not fit allJanet Prvu Bettger
School of Nursing, Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Nurs Res 20:159-68. 2012..Although most staff in long-term care services and support (LTSS) are nursing care personnel, a method for measuring the provision of nursing care has not yet been developed...
- International nurse migration: lessons from the PhilippinesBarbara L Brush
Division of Health Promotion and Risk Reduction, School of Nursing, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Policy Polit Nurs Pract 8:37-46. 2007....
- Influencing health policy for older adults: initiatives by the John A. Hartford Centers of Geriatric Nursing ExcellenceCharlene Harrington
Nursing and Health Policy, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Nurs Outlook 54:236-42. 2006
- Scaling up: bringing the transitional care model into the mainstreamMary D Naylor
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, USA
Issue Brief (Commonw Fund) 103:1-12. 2010..Findings from these projects inform challenges that must be overcome to facilitate the translation of effective care management innovations into mainstream practice...
- Medical migration to the U.S.: trends and impactDaniel Polsky
Leonard David Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA USA
LDI Issue Brief 12:1-4. 2007..S. shortage. This Issue Brief analyzes trends in medical migration, and explores its short- and long-term effects on the health care workforce in the U.S. and in developing countries...
- Prediction of pediatric death in the year after hospitalization: a population-level retrospective cohort studyChris Feudtner
Pediatric Advanced Care Team, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Palliat Med 12:160-9. 2009..The study of how the quality of pediatric end-of-life care varies across systems of health care delivery and financing is hampered by lack of methods to adjust for the probability of death in populations of ill children...
- Nursing shortage redux: turning the corner on an enduring problemJulie Sochalski
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:157-64. 2002..Strategies focused on working conditions and retention should occupy a central position in any nursing workforce revitalization plan...
- Nurse executive and staff nurse perceptions of the effects of reorganization in Veterans Health Administration hospitalsNancy D Sharp
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, and Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Nurs Adm 36:471-8. 2006....
- Nurse staffing and patient outcomes in Veterans Affairs hospitalsAnne E Sales
Health Service Research and Development, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, 1660 S Columbian Way, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
J Nurs Adm 35:459-66. 2005..To assess characteristics and perceptions of nurses working in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA), comparing types of nursing personnel, to benchmark to prior studies across healthcare systems...
- Measuring nurses' practice environments with the revised nursing work index: evidence from registered nurses in the Veterans Health AdministrationYu Fang Li
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, 1100 Olive Way, Suite 1400, WA 98101, USA
Res Nurs Health 30:31-44. 2007..Additional research is needed to corroborate these findings in other nurse samples and settings...