M D Smyth
Affiliation: University of California
- Intracranial ependymomas of childhood: current management strategiesM D Smyth
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0112, USA
Pediatr Neurosurg 33:138-50. 2000....
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for pediatric intracranial arteriovenous malformations: the University of California at San Francisco experienceMatthew D Smyth
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, 94143 0112, USA
J Neurosurg 97:48-55. 2002..In this study the authors describe a series of pediatric patients with a minimum follow-up duration of 36 months...
- The surgical treatment of spasticityM D Smyth
Department of Neurological Surgery, Room M 779, Box 0112, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, California 94143 0112, USA
Muscle Nerve 23:153-63. 2000..Several proposed mechanisms for spasticity are reviewed so that the rationale for the various surgical interventions for spasticity described may be better understood...
- Focal cooling suppresses spontaneous epileptiform activity without changing the cortical motor thresholdKameel M Karkar
Department of Neurology University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, U S A
Epilepsia 43:932-5. 2002..Focal cerebral cooling has been shown to reduce epileptiform activity in animals. There are, however, few reports of this phenomenon in humans...
- Focal cooling for epilepsy: an alternative therapy that might actually workSteven M Rothman
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Epilepsy Behav 7:214-21. 2005..The present review describes the rationale for this research and our progress to date...
- Giant intracranial teratoma with epignathus in a neonate. Case report and review of the literatureJames M Johnston
Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosurg 106:232-6. 2007..In this manuscript, the authors present a case of epignathus with intracranial extension, emphasizing clinical presentation, imaging findings, a staged surgical approach, multidisciplinary management, and outcome...
- Radiosurgical posterior corpus callosotomy in a child with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Case reportMatthew D Smyth
Department of Neurological Surgery, Washington University, St Louis Children s Hospital, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosurg 106:312-5. 2007..The relevant literature pertaining to the use of radiosurgery for treating epilepsy is reviewed. Details of the radiosurgical techniques and prescription dose used are presented, along with 1-year serial neuroimaging results...
- Complications of invasive subdural electrode monitoring at St. Louis Children's Hospital, 1994-2005James M Johnston
Department of Neurosurgery and Division of Pediatric and Developmental Neurology, St Louis Children s Hospital, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosurg 105:343-7. 2006..The purpose of this study was to better define the incidence of complications associated with placement of subdural electrodes for localization of seizure foci and functional mapping in children...
- Transcortical cooling inhibits hippocampal-kindled seizures in the ratJustin M Burton
Department of Neurological Surgery, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Epilepsia 46:1881-7. 2005..Reversible cooling may control seizures while preserving function. We describe the effects of cooling kindled seizures in awake, freely moving rats...
- Complications of ventriculosubgaleal shunts in infants and childrenR Shane Tubbs
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Childs Nerv Syst 21:48-51. 2005..The ventriculosubgaleal shunt has been used for the temporary bypass of the normal cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pathways. To date, a large series of complications from this procedure has not been elaborated upon in the literature...
- Complications of chronic vagus nerve stimulation for epilepsy in childrenMatthew D Smyth
Pediatric Neurosurgery, Children s Hospital of Alabama, Alabama, USA
J Neurosurg 99:500-3. 2003..The aim of this study was to define better the incidence of surgical complications and untoward side effects of chronic vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) in a population of children with medically refractory epilepsy...
- Effects of antiepileptic drugs on induced epileptiform activity in a rat model of dysplasiaMatthew D Smyth
Department of Neurological Surgery, Epilepsy Research Laboratory, University of California at San Francisco, 94143 0112, USA
Epilepsy Res 50:251-64. 2002..p.). Pre-treatment with VPA prolonged seizure latency in control rats, but had no effect in MAM-exposed animals. These results suggest MAM-exposed rats exhibit a dramatically reduced sensitivity to commonly prescribed AEDs...
- Ossified pseudomeningocele following Chiari decompression surgery in a patient with Kleeblattschädel deformityMatthew R Reynolds
Department of Neurosurgery, Washington University, St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 2:203-6. 2008..A genetic basis for the ossification process seems likely given the child's history of premature cranial suture closure. The authors draw attention to this rare complication and review the available body of literature on this topic...