Richard J Smith
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Bu F, Borsa N, Jones M, Takanami E, Nishimura C, Hauer J, et al. High-Throughput Genetic Testing for Thrombotic Microangiopathies and C3 Glomerulopathies. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016;27:1245-53 pubmed publisher..In summary, we were able to provide a positive genetic diagnosis in 43% and 41% of patients carrying the clinical diagnosis of C3G and TMA, respectively. ..
- Zhang Y, Shao D, Ricklin D, Hilkin B, Nester C, Lambris J, et al. Compstatin analog Cp40 inhibits complement dysregulation in vitro in C3 glomerulopathy. Immunobiology. 2015;220:993-8 pubmed publisher..In aggregate, these data suggest that Cp40 may offer a novel and promising therapeutic option to C3G patients as a disease-specific, targeted therapy. As such, Cp40 could represent a major advance in the treatment of this disease. ..
- Shearer A, Smith R. Massively Parallel Sequencing for Genetic Diagnosis of Hearing Loss: The New Standard of Care. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015;153:175-82 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive genetic testing has become the new standard of care for genetic testing for patients with sensorineural hearing loss. ..
- Shearer A, Eppsteiner R, Booth K, Ephraim S, Gurrola J, Simpson A, et al. Utilizing ethnic-specific differences in minor allele frequency to recategorize reported pathogenic deafness variants. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;95:445-53 pubmed publisher..The proposed MAF thresholds will facilitate clinical interpretation of variants identified in genetic testing for NSHL. All data are publicly available to facilitate interpretation of genetic variants causing deafness. ..
- Smith M, Zimmerman M, Burke D, Bauman N, Sato Y, Smith R. Efficacy and safety of OK-432 immunotherapy of lymphatic malformations. Laryngoscope. 2009;119:107-15 pubmed publisher..001) and has a lower morbidity (P < .001). OK-432 immunotherapy is an effective, safe, and simple treatment option for the management of macrocystic cervicofacial LM. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00010452. ..
- Yoshimura H, Shibata S, Ranum P, Smith R. Enhanced viral-mediated cochlear gene delivery in adult mice by combining canal fenestration with round window membrane inoculation. Sci Rep. 2018;8:2980 pubmed publisher..This approach is safe, versatile and efficient. Its use will facilitate studies using cochlear gene therapy in murine models of hearing loss over a wide range of time points. ..
- Shearer A, Eppsteiner R, Frees K, Tejani V, Sloan Heggen C, Brown C, et al. Genetic variants in the peripheral auditory system significantly affect adult cochlear implant performance. Hear Res. 2017;348:138-142 pubmed publisher..The method presented here should serve as a guide for further research into the molecular physiology of the peripheral auditory system and cochlear implants. ..
- Shibata S, Ranum P, Moteki H, Pan B, Goodwin A, Goodman S, et al. RNA Interference Prevents Autosomal-Dominant Hearing Loss. Am J Hum Genet. 2016;98:1101-1113 pubmed publisher..Given that most autosomal-dominant non-syndromic hearing loss in humans is caused by this mechanism of action, microRNA-based therapeutics might be broadly applicable as a therapy for this type of deafness. ..
- Mastellos D, Reis E, Ricklin D, Smith R, Lambris J. Complement C3-Targeted Therapy: Replacing Long-Held Assertions with Evidence-Based Discovery. Trends Immunol. 2017;38:383-394 pubmed publisher..Using C3G as a paradigm, we argue that concerns about the feasibility of long-term C3 intervention need to be placed into perspective and weighed against actual therapeutic outcomes in prospective clinical trials. ..
- Goodship T, Cook H, Fakhouri F, Fervenza F, FrÃ©meaux Bacchi V, Kavanagh D, et al. Atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome and C3 glomerulopathy: conclusions from a "Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes" (KDIGO) Controversies Conference. Kidney Int. 2017;91:539-551 pubmed publisher..Knowledge gaps were identified and a prioritized research agenda was proposed to resolve outstanding controversial issues. ..
- Nester C, Smith R. Complement inhibition in C3 glomerulopathy. Semin Immunol. 2016;28:241-9 pubmed publisher..Research advances are laying the foundation for complement inhibition as a targeted approach to treatment of C3G. ..
- Sloan Heggen C, Bierer A, Shearer A, Kolbe D, Nishimura C, Frees K, et al. Comprehensive genetic testing in the clinical evaluation of 1119 patients with hearing loss. Hum Genet. 2016;135:441-50 pubmed publisher..The spectrum of implicated genes showed wide ethnic variability. These findings support the more efficient utilization of medical resources through the development of evidence-based algorithms for the diagnosis of hearing loss. ..
- Taylor K, Booth K, Azaiez H, Sloan C, Kolbe D, Glanz E, et al. Audioprofile Surfaces: The 21st Century Audiogram. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2016;125:361-8 pubmed publisher..Audioprofile surfaces will support the generation and testing of sophisticated hypotheses to further refine our understanding of the biology of hearing. ..
- Xiao X, Ghossein C, Tortajada A, Zhang Y, Meyer N, Jones M, et al. Familial C3 glomerulonephritis caused by a novel CFHR5-CFHR2 fusion gene. Mol Immunol. 2016;77:89-96 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the role of factor H related proteins in the control of complement activity and illustrate how perturbation of that control leads to C3G. ..
- Shibata S, Yoshimura H, Ranum P, Goodwin A, Smith R. Intravenous rAAV2/9 injection for murine cochlear gene delivery. Sci Rep. 2017;7:9609 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data validate intravenous delivery of rAAV2/9 as a novel and atraumatic technique for inner ear transgene delivery in early postnatal mice. ..
- Smith R, Robin N. Genetic testing for deafness--GJB2 and SLC26A4 as causes of deafness. J Commun Disord. 2002;35:367-77 pubmed..It is also essential for physicians and audiologists to understand the limitations of genetic testing for deafness, and it is imperative that these limitations be appropriately explained to patients and their families...
- Smith R, Alexander J, Barlow P, Botto M, Cassavant T, Cook H, et al. New approaches to the treatment of dense deposit disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;18:2447-56 pubmed..As the understanding of DDD increases, novel therapies should be integrated into existing protocols for DDD and evaluated using an open-label Bayesian study design...
- Smith R, Hone S. Genetic screening for deafness. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2003;50:315-29 pubmed