Daniel L Smith
Affiliation: University of Alabama at Birmingham
- The effect of mannan oligosaccharide supplementation on body weight gain and fat accrual in C57Bl/6J miceDaniel L Smith
Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:995-9. 2010..247 g; P = 0.57). Contrary to previous research, MOS supplementation had no discernable effect on body weight gain or composition during this 12-week study, challenging the potential use of MOS as a CRM or body composition enhancer...
- Calorie restriction: what recent results suggest for the future of ageing researchDaniel L Smith
Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Eur J Clin Invest 40:440-50. 2010..Thus, the search for substances that can reproduce the beneficial physiologic responses of CR without a requisite calorie intake reduction, termed CR mimetics (CRMs), has gained momentum...
- Telomere dynamics in rhesus monkeys: no apparent effect of caloric restrictionDaniel L Smith
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Main Campus, Birmingham, AL 35294 3360, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 66:1163-8. 2011..002) and sex (p = .003; p = .042), but not calorie restriction (p = .884; p = .766). Despite an age-dependent shortening of TL in leukocytes and skin, calorie restriction did not significantly affect TL dynamics in these samples...
- Metformin supplementation and life span in Fischer-344 ratsDaniel L Smith
Department of Biostatistics, Ryals Public Health Building, Suite 414, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1665 University Boulevard, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65:468-74. 2010..05) compared with control...
- Conjectures on some curious connections among social status, calorie restriction, hunger, fatness, and longevityKathryn A Kaiser
Office of Energetics, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1264:1-12. 2012..Second, we examine models of the interactions between caloric restriction, body composition, and longevity. Finally, we put forth a relational model of the influences of differing environmental cues on body composition and longevity...
- Mild calorie restriction induces fat accumulation in female C57BL/6J miceXingsheng Li
Department of Nutrition Sciences, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:456-62. 2010..The increase in fat mass and decrease in lean mass may be a stress response to the uncertainty of food availability...
- Can rodent longevity studies be both short and powerful?Henry T Robertson
Section on Statistical Genetics, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 0022, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 66:279-86. 2011..4 times as many rodents will often have equivalent or greater power. Cost calculations suggest that shorter studies will be more expensive but perhaps not so much to not be worth the reduced time...
- Myths, presumptions, and facts about obesityKrista Casazza
Department of Nutrition Sciences, of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, USA
N Engl J Med 368:446-54. 2013....