Affiliation: University of South Alabama
- Using a theory to understand triage decision makingAnita Smith
Maternal Child Nursing Department, University of South Alabama, College of Nursing, Mobile, AL, United States Electronic address
Int Emerg Nurs 21:113-7. 2013..Delineating research evidence within a theory allows clinical educators to understand practices that foster successful triage skills and permits the grounding of educational strategies within a theoretical framework...
- Signs of aging or the vague symptoms of ovarian cancer?Anita Smith
College of Nursing, University of South Alabama in Mobile, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 39:E150-6. 2012..To explore the feelings that occurred at the same time as the vague physical symptoms of ovarian cancer...
- Whisperings of ovarian cancer: acknowledging women's voicesAnita Smith
College of Nursing, University of South Alabama, Mobile, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 12:913-20. 2008..Listening for a woman's voice, acknowledging her voice, and being an advocate for her voice are key components of holistic care. Listening may play an instrumental role in the early diagnosis of ovarian cancer...
- Exploring the legitimacy of intuition as a form of nursing knowledgeA Smith
Department of Maternal Child Nursing, University of South Alabama, Alabama, United States
Nurs Stand 23:35-40. 2009....
- Triage decision-making skills: a necessity for all nursesAnita Smith
Maternal Child Nursing, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama, USA
J Nurses Staff Dev 26:E14-9. 2010..Establishing reliability and validity of the instrument in a sample of nurses with diverse specialties allows staff development experts to use the inventory to tailor training for new graduates and practicing nurses...
- Learning styles of registered nurses enrolled in an online nursing programAnita Smith
College of Nursing, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36688, USA
J Prof Nurs 26:49-53. 2010..Understanding online learning styles permits universities to adequately address the educational needs of the professional nurse returning for an advanced degree...
- Measuring the use of intuition by registered nurses in clinical practiceA Smith
Maternal Child Nursing, University of South Alabama, Alabama, United States
Nurs Stand 21:35-41. 2007..To administer the Smith Intuition Instrument to a sample of registered nurses to clarify its factors and test convergent validity...
- Analysis of after-action reporting by deployed nursesMary Candice Ross
University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36688, USA
Mil Med 173:210-6. 2008..After-actions reporting could yield an excellent wealth of information, if reported in a timely and detailed manner, for nursing leaders...
- Cancer Care Ontario Colonoscopy Standards: standards and evidentiary baseL Rabeneck
Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 21:5D-24D. 2007..The recommendations will form the basis of the quality assurance program for colonoscopy delivered in support of Ontario's CRC screening program...
- Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium microti) in wild field vole populationsS Burthe
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 7ZB, UK
Parasitology 135:309-17. 2008..Although predicted survival following the appearance of a cutaneous lesion was lower than for uninfected individuals, this was not significant...
- Screening for social difficulties in cancer patients: clinical utility of the Social Difficulties InventoryP Wright
Psychosocial and Clinical Practice Research Group, Cancer Research UK, Clinical Centre in Leeds, St James s University Hospital, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Br J Cancer 97:1063-70. 2007..In conclusion, general guidance for interpreting the SDI has been developed to enhance health-care professional/patient consultations with a view to identifying patients who may benefit from support, advice or intervention...
- Smoking and erectile dysfunction: findings from a representative sample of Australian menC Millett
Health Promotion Unit (Eastern Zone, Sydney South West Area Health Service, NSW 2050, Australia
Tob Control 15:136-9. 2006..This association was strengthened as the number of cigarettes smoked increased. Health promotion programmes could use the link between smoking and erectile dysfunction to help reduce smoking levels among men...
- Psychosocial difficulties, deprivation and cancer: three questionnaire studies involving 609 cancer patientsP Wright
Psychosocial and Clinical Practice Research Group, Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre in Leeds, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Br J Cancer 93:622-6. 2005....
- Reflective practice: a meaningful task for studentsA Smith
School of Health and Social Care, University of Reading
Nurs Stand 19:33-7. 2005....
- The role of sport-fish consumption advisories in mercury risk communication: a 1998-1999 12-state survey of women age 18-45H A Anderson
Wisconsin Division of Public Health, Madison, 1 West Wilson Street, Room 150, Madison, WI 53702, USA
Environ Res 95:315-24. 2004..Advisories to reduce consumption of contaminated fish have been issued by states since the early 1970s. Advisories are being integrated to include both sport and commercial fish...
- Screening for Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis in men who have sex with men at male-only saunasN A Lister
Department of Public Health, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Sex Transm Dis 30:886-9. 2003....
- Expertise in practice: an ethnographic study exploring acquisition and use of knowledge in anaesthesiaA Smith
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Lancaster LA1 4RP, UK
Br J Anaesth 91:319-28. 2003..Current anaesthetic training programmes appear to favour explicit knowledge and measurable competencies. We aimed to describe and explore the way different types of knowledge are learned and used in anaesthetic practice...
- Feasibility and compliance of automated measurement of quality of life in oncology practiceE P Wright
Cancer Research UK, Clinical Centre in Leeds, St James s University Hospital, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Clin Oncol 21:374-82. 2003..However, logistic problems are substantial. Automated systems solve many of these problems. We field-tested the feasibility and compliance that can be achieved using a computer touchscreen system in two consecutive studies...
- A comparison of therapeutic commitment, role support, role competency and empathy in three cohorts of nursing studentsW Lauder
University of Stirling Psychosocial Research Group, Department of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Stirling, Inverness, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 9:483-91. 2002..The implications of these findings for nurse education are discussed...
- Anxiety disorders in cancer patients: their nature, associations, and relation to quality of lifeD Stark
Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre at Leeds, St James s University Hospital, and Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 20:3137-48. 2002....