A Gordon Smith
Affiliation: University of Utah
- Epidermal nerve innervation in impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes-associated neuropathyA G Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Neurology 57:1701-4. 2001..Skin biopsy was abnormal in all neuropathy subjects and correlated poorly with NCS. Neuropathy associated with IGT primarily affects small fibers and is similar to early diabetes-associated neuropathy...
- The diagnostic utility of Sudoscan for distal symmetric peripheral neuropathyA Gordon Smith
University of Utah Department of Neurology Electronic address
J Diabetes Complications 28:511-6. 2014..This study evaluated Sudoscan's diagnostic utility for DSP...
- Obesity and hyperlipidemia are risk factors for early diabetic neuropathyA Gordon Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA Electronic address
J Diabetes Complications 27:436-42. 2013..Obesity/hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia may have differential effects on small versus large fibers...
- Corneal confocal microscopy is efficient, well-tolerated, and reproducibleAlbert Gordon Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Peripher Nerv Syst 18:54-8. 2013..TC was less reproducible. CCM is a rapid, well-tolerated, and reproducible method for assessing corneal innervation...
- Diabetic neuropathyA Gordon Smith
University of Utah, Department of Neurology, 30 North 1900 East SOM 3R242, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Continuum (Minneap Minn) 18:60-84. 2012..Diabetic neuropathy is a major cause of disability and health care expense. This article reviews the various forms of diabetic neuropathy with a focus on diagnosis and treatment...
- Impaired glucose tolerance and metabolic syndrome in idiopathic neuropathyA Gordon Smith
Division of Neuromuscular Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Peripher Nerv Syst 17:15-21. 2012..Further research is needed to better define the epidemiological relation between IGT, metabolic syndrome, and neuropathy, its underlying pathophysiology, and to develop appropriate surrogate measures and clinical trials strategies...
- Idiopathic neuropathy patients are at high risk for metabolic syndromeA Gordon Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, United States
J Neurol Sci 273:25-8. 2008..The primary objective was to determine if metabolic syndrome features other than hyperglycemia increase neuropathy risk...
- Impaired glucose tolerance and neuropathyA Gordon Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Neurologist 14:23-9. 2008..Among this population, impaired glucose tolerance (IGT or "prediabetes") is observed in approximately 40%. The exact nature of the relationship between IGT and neuropathy is debated...
- Lifestyle intervention for pre-diabetic neuropathyA Gordon Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Utah School of Medicine, 50 N Medical Drive, SOM 3R152, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Diabetes Care 29:1294-9. 2006....
- Idiopathic neuropathy, prediabetes and the metabolic syndromeA Gordon Smith
Neurology and Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, 30 North 1900 East, SOM 3R152, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Neurol Sci 242:9-14. 2006..Thus, a multifactorial treatment approach to individual components of Metabolic Syndrome may slow prediabetic neuropathy progression or result in improvement...
- The diagnostic yield of a standardized approach to idiopathic sensory-predominant neuropathyA Gordon Smith
Department of Neurology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City 84132, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:1021-5. 2004..This study focuses on patients with sensory-predominant neuropathy. The goal was to develop a focused diagnostic algorithm that can be easily applied in a general medical setting...
- Reliability of quantitative sudomotor axon reflex testing and quantitative sensory testing in neuropathy of impaired glucose regulationAmanda Peltier
Department of Neurology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Muscle Nerve 39:529-35. 2009..QSART reproducibility was significantly lower than QST. In this group of patients, the reproducibility of QSART was unacceptable for use as a secondary endpoint measure in clinical research trials...
- The Utah Early Neuropathy Scale: a sensitive clinical scale for early sensory predominant neuropathyJ Robinson Singleton
Department of Neurology, University of Utah School of Medicine, SOM 3R 152, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Peripher Nerv Syst 13:218-27. 2008..UENS is a sensitive and reproducible clinical measure of sensory and small-fiber nerve injury and may be useful in trials of early neuropathy...
- Increased axonal regeneration and swellings in intraepidermal nerve fibers characterize painful phenotypes of diabetic neuropathyHsinlin T Cheng
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2200, USA
J Pain 14:941-7. 2013..These axonal swellings were positive for tropomyosin-receptor-kinase A and substance P, suggesting that they are associated with nociception...
- The diabetic neuropathies: practical and rational therapyJ Robinson Singleton
University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Semin Neurol 32:196-203. 2012..The approach to the most common acute diabetic neuropathies is also reviewed...
- The reliability of skin biopsy with measurement of intraepidermal nerve fiber densityA Gordon Smith
University of Utah, Department of Neurology, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Neurol Sci 228:65-9. 2005..IENFD measurement is highly reproducible. At least four sections should be analyzed. Reliability does not vary with severity of disease. These findings suggest IENFD may be a useful endpoint measure in future neuropathy treatment trials...
- Microvascular complications of impaired glucose toleranceJ Robinson Singleton
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Diabetes 52:2867-73. 2003..To what degree intervention will limit recognized complications is not known...
- Pulsed electromagnetic fields to reduce diabetic neuropathic pain and stimulate neuronal repair: a randomized controlled trialMichael I Weintraub
Department of Neurology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 90:1102-9. 2009....
- Neuropathy associated with prediabetes: what is new in 2007?J Rob Singleton
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, 1900 East, 30 North, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Curr Diab Rep 7:420-4. 2007....
- Therapy insight: neurological complications of prediabetesJ Robinson Singleton
Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 2:276-82. 2006..Goal-driven diet and exercise regimens, together with pharmacological treatment of hyperlipidemia and hypertension, reduce stroke risk, but the effect of these interventions on neuropathy has not been fully explored...
- Chronic migraine is associated with reduced corneal nerve fiber density and symptoms of dry eyeKrista I Kinard
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, John A Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Headache 55:543-9. 2015..Noninvasive imaging of the corneal sub-basal nerve plexus is possible with in vivo corneal confocal microscopy...
- Clinical and diagnostic features of delayed hypoxic leukoencephalopathyDavid R Shprecher
University of Rochester, Department of Neurology, 1351 Mt Hope Ave, Suite 100, Rochester, NY 14620 3917, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 20:473-7. 2008..The authors describe clinical and diagnostic features of three such cases, review the pathophysiology of delayed hypoxic leukoencephalopathy, and discuss features which may help distinguish it from toxic leukoencephalopathy...
- Supervised exercise improves cutaneous reinnervation capacity in metabolic syndrome patientsJ Robinson Singleton
Departments of Neurology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Ann Neurol 77:146-53. 2015..We used this capsaicin axotomy technique to examine the effects of exercise on cutaneous regenerative capacity in the setting of metabolic syndrome...
- Glucose intolerance, metabolic syndrome, and neuropathyMelissa Cortez
Imaging and Neurosciences Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Handb Clin Neurol 126:109-22. 2014..Further research is required to fully elucidate the complex pathophysiology, as well as identify optimal diagnostic and treatment approaches. ..
- 2007 International Peripheral Nerve Society Meeting at Snowbird, UtahA Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..The meeting directly impacts public health and patient care by disseminating important new ideas (both research and therapeutic) and by developing consensus guidelines. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..