Neil R Smalheiser
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Smalheiser N, Lugli G, Thimmapuram J, Cook E, Larson J. Endogenous siRNAs and noncoding RNA-derived small RNAs are expressed in adult mouse hippocampus and are up-regulated in olfactory discrimination training. RNA. 2011;17:166-81 pubmed publisher..Further studies are warranted to characterize the role(s) played by endogenous siRNAs and noncoding RNA-derived small RNAs in learning and memory. ..
- Smalheiser N. The search for endogenous siRNAs in the mammalian brain. Exp Neurol. 2012;235:455-63 pubmed publisher..I conclude that, despite their apparent low abundance, endogenous siRNAs and noncoding RNA-derived small RNAs are likely to play an important role in regulating synaptic plasticity. ..
- Smalheiser N. The RNA-centred view of the synapse: non-coding RNAs and synaptic plasticity. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369: pubmed publisher..ncRNAs do not appear to be direct mediators of synaptic transmission in the manner of neurotransmitters or receptors, yet they orchestrate synaptic plasticity-and may drive species-specific changes in cognition. ..
- Smalheiser N, Bonifield G. Two Similarity Metrics for Medical Subject Headings (MeSH): An Aid to Biomedical Text Mining and Author Name Disambiguation. J Biomed Discov Collab. 2016;7:e1 pubmed publisher..The dataset is freely available for download and can be queried at http://arrowsmith.psych.uic.edu/arrowsmith_uic/mesh_pair_metrics.html. Handling editor: Elizabeth Workman, MLIS, PhD. ..
- Smalheiser N, Lugli G, Torvik V, Mise N, Ikeda R, Abe K. Natural antisense transcripts are co-expressed with sense mRNAs in synaptoneurosomes of adult mouse forebrain. Neurosci Res. 2008;62:236-9 pubmed publisher..This study provides evidence that a new class of noncoding RNAs (natural antisense transcripts) are expressed near synapses, and encourages further studies of their roles in neuronal function. ..