Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Joint use policies: Are they related to adolescent behavior?Sandy Slater
University of Illinois at Chicago, Institute for Health Research and Policy and Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, 1747W Roosevelt Road, M C 275, Room 558, Chicago, IL 60608, USA Electronic address
Prev Med 69:S37-43. 2014..Little is known about JUP's impact on physical activity (PA). This study examined whether more specific JUPs were associated with increased PA and decreased sedentary behavior (SB) in adolescents...
- Walkable communities and adolescent weightSandy J Slater
Institute for Health Research and Policy, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:164-8. 2013..Neighborhood design features have been associated with health outcomes, including the prevalence of obesity...
- The impact of state laws and district policies on physical education and recess practices in a nationally representative sample of US public elementary schoolsSandy J Slater
Institute for Health Research and Policy and Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1747 W Roosevelt Rd, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 166:311-6. 2012..To examine the impact of state- and school district-level policies on the prevalence of physical education (PE) and recess in a nationally representative sample of US public elementary schools...
- The association between community physical activity settings and youth physical activity, obesity, and body mass indexSandy J Slater
Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Adolesc Health 47:496-503. 2010....
- Surveillance of tobacco industry retail marketing activities of reduced harm productsSandy Slater
University of Illinois at Chicago, Institute of Health Research and Policy, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:187-93. 2008..This study's national sample provides a unique perspective that needs to be replicated if and when other PREPs are widely marketed...
- Missed opportunities: local health departments as providers of obesity prevention programs for adolescentsSandy J Slater
University of Illinois at Chicago, Institute for Health Research and Policy, Chicago, Illinois 60608, USA
Am J Prev Med 33:S246-50. 2007..This study examined the availability of local health department programs related to youth healthy eating, obesity control, and physical activity...
- The impact of retail cigarette marketing practices on youth smoking uptakeSandy J Slater
Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago 60608, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:440-5. 2007..To examine the differential associations of cigarette retail marketing practices on youth smoking uptake...
- State variation in retail promotions and advertising for Marlboro cigarettesS Slater
Health Research and Policy Centers, University of Illinois at Chicago, 850 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Tob Control 10:337-9. 2001..There is some evidence that tobacco companies marketing efforts undermine the effects of comprehensive tobacco control programmes...
- Food store availability and neighborhood characteristics in the United StatesLisa M Powell
Department of Economics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Prev Med 44:189-95. 2007..This study provides a multivariate analysis of the availability of food store outlets in the US and associations with neighborhood characteristics on race, ethnicity and socioeconomic status (SES)...
- State and district policy influences on district-wide elementary and middle school physical education practicesJamie F Chriqui
Institute for Health Researchand Policy, School of Public Health, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 19:S41-8. 2013....
- Availability of physical activity-related facilities and neighborhood demographic and socioeconomic characteristics: a national studyLisa M Powell
Department of Economics and the Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois, Chicago 60608, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1676-80. 2006..We examined associations between neighborhood demographic characteristics and the availability of commercial physical activity-related outlets by zip code across the United States...
- The availability of local-area commercial physical activity-related facilities and physical activity among adolescentsLisa M Powell
Department of Economics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60608, USA
Am J Prev Med 33:S292-300. 2007..A significant number of American youth do not participate in sufficient levels of physical activity...
- After the Master Settlement Agreement: trends in the American tobacco retail environment from 1999 to 2002Erin Ruel
Center for Demography of Health and Aging, University of Wisconsin Madison, USA
Health Promot Pract 5:99S-110S. 2004..Tobacco promotions in stores increased between 2001 and 2002. Stores in the south and rural areas tended to have the lowest prices and highest prevalence of promotions and advertising, suggesting a need for tobacco control intervention...
- Association of point-of-purchase tobacco advertising and promotions with choice of usual brand among teenage smokersMelanie A Wakefield
Center for Behavioral Research in Cancer, Cancer Control Research Instiute, The Cancer Council Victoria, Carlton, Australia
J Health Commun 7:113-21. 2002..Further research is required to confirm and extend these findings...
- Tobacco industry marketing at point of purchase after the 1998 MSA billboard advertising banMelanie A Wakefield
Center for Behavioral Research in Cancer, Anti Cancer Council of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Am J Public Health 92:937-40. 2002
- Is the Built Environment Associated with Youth Physical Activity and Weight?Sandy Slater; Fiscal Year: 2008b>Sandy Slater, PhD, Research Specialist at the University of Illinois at Chicago (DIG), is a health policy analyst whose research focuses on the impact of state and local policies, and other environmental factors on health behavior...