Jennifer L Skeem
Affiliation: University of Nevada
- Using a five-factor lens to explore the relation between personality traits and violence in psychiatric patientsJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 7085, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:454-65. 2005..Because interpersonal and affective features of psychopathy are less important than basic traits of antagonism in postdicting violence, it may be appropriate to broaden focus in risk assessment to patients' basic personality traits...
- Psychopathy, treatment involvement, and subsequent violence among civil psychiatric patientsJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada
Law Hum Behav 26:577-603. 2002..We interpret these results in light of prior research with offenders and analyze their implications for future research, policy, and practice...
- Applicability of traditional and revised models of psychopathy to the Psychopathy Checklist: screening versionJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Box 455030, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154 5030, USA
Psychol Assess 15:41-55. 2003..Implications for future research are discussed...
- Perspectives on probation and mandated mental health treatment in specialized and traditional probation departmentsJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 455030, Las Vegas, NV 89154 5030, USA
Behav Sci Law 21:429-58. 2003..These agencies differed in how well probationers with mental illness "fit" their standard operating procedure. Implications for future research and directions for probation practice are discussed...
- Views of the downward extension: comparing the Youth Version of the Psychopathy Checklist with the Youth Psychopathic traits InventoryJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Box 455030, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154 5030, USA
Behav Sci Law 21:737-70. 2003..Implications for future longitudinal research on the validity, manifestations, and course of juvenile psychopathy are discussed...
- Venirepersons's attitudes toward the insanity defense: developing, refining, and validating a scaleJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154 5030, USA
Law Hum Behav 28:623-48. 2004..The IDA-R's predictive utility generalizes across jurisdictions and manipulation of case facts. Theoretical and practical implications for research and for identifying impartial jurors at voir dire are discussed...
- Using the Personality Assessment Inventory to predict male offenders' conduct during and progression through substance abuse treatmentMelissa S Magyar
Department of Psychology, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843, USA
Psychol Assess 24:216-25. 2012..These findings highlight the importance of distinguishing lower order and higher order dimensions on the PAI and other measures...
- Incremental validity analyses of the violence risk appraisal guide and the psychopathy checklist: screening version in a civil psychiatric sampleJohn F Edens
Department of Psychology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX 75275, USA
Assessment 13:368-74. 2006..These results reflect the limited validity of the VRAG items in civil psychiatric samples beyond the variance that is explained by the PCL:SV alone...
- Psychopathic predators? Getting specific about the relation between psychopathy and violenceJacqueline P Camp
Department of Psychology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 81:467-80. 2013....
- How do probation officers assess and manage recidivism and violence risk for probationers with mental disorder? An experimental investigationJennifer Eno Louden
Department of Psychology, The University of Texas at El Paso, 500 West University Avenue, El Paso, TX 79968, USA
Law Hum Behav 37:22-34. 2013....
- Factor structure and validity of the MacArthur Competence Assessment Tool-Criminal AdjudicationPatricia A Zapf
Department of Psychology, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York, New York City, NY 10019 1128, USA
Psychol Assess 17:433-45. 2005..Analyses were also completed to examine the convergent and discriminant validity of the MacCAT-CA. Results are discussed in terms of the strengths and weaknesses of the nomothetic nature of the MacCAT-CA...
- Are there ethnic differences in levels of psychopathy? A meta-analysisJennifer L Skeem
University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Law Hum Behav 28:505-27. 2004....
- Assessing relationship quality in mandated community treatment: blending care with controlJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 7083, USA
Psychol Assess 19:397-410. 2007..The DRI-R covaries with multiple domains more strongly than a leading measure of the therapeutic alliance, suggesting that it better captures the nature and effect of relationship quality in mandated treatment...
- Toward evidence-based practice for probationers and parolees mandated to mental health treatmentJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, 3311 Social Ecology II, Irvine, California 92697 7085, USA
Psychiatr Serv 57:333-42. 2006..This article reviews a small but growing body of research on this problem and on practices designed to respond to it...
- Constructing insanity: jurors' prototypes, attitudes, and legal decision-makingJennifer Eno Louden
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, 3340 Social Ecology 11, Irvine, CA 92697 7085, USA
Behav Sci Law 25:449-70. 2007..Implications for identifying biased jurors and potential interventions for bringing jurors' decisions into greater accord with the law are discussed...
- An introduction to the special issues on juvenile psychopathy and some reflections on the current debate. Juvenile psychopathy: the debateJohn Petrila
Behav Sci Law 21:689-94. 2003
- Assessing callous-unemotional traits in adolescent offenders: validation of the Inventory of Callous-Unemotional TraitsEva R Kimonis
Department of Mental Health Law and Policy, Louis de la Parte Mental Health Institute, University of South Florida, 13301 Bruce B Downs Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Int J Law Psychiatry 31:241-52. 2008..There were some important differences across the three facets of the ICU in their associations with these key external criteria...
- Correspondence between self-report and interview-based assessments of antisocial personality disorderLaura S Guy
Department of Psychology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Psychol Assess 20:47-54. 2008..Levels of agreement of the SCID-II with the PDQ-4 (kappa = .31) and PAI (kappa = .32) in classifying participants as ASPD was limited. Alternative thresholds for both self-report measures were identified and cross-validated...
- Effect of psychopathy, abuse, and ethnicity on juvenile probation officers' decision-making and supervision strategiesSarah Vidal
Associate Professor Psychology and Social Behavior, 3311 Social Ecology II, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 7085, USA
Law Hum Behav 31:479-98. 2007..For psychopathic youth, officers expect poor treatment outcomes and are" extra strict," enforcing rules that typically are not enforced for others on their caseload...
- Suicide-related behavior after psychiatric hospital discharge: Implications for risk assessment and managementJennifer L Skeem
University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Behav Sci Law 24:731-46. 2006..Instead, patients' rate of SRB was relatively constant over the one-year follow-up. Implications for risk assessment and management in acute inpatient settings are discussed...
- Psychiatric symptoms and community violence among high-risk patients: A test of the relationship at the weekly levelJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 7085, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 74:967-79. 2006..The authors found no evidence that increases in the latter symptoms during 1 week provide an independent foundation for expecting violence during the following week...
- Weekly community interviews with high-risk participants: operational issuesCarol A Schubert
Law and Psychiatry Program, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, USA
J Interpers Violence 20:632-46. 2005..Each of these three steps is discussed as a guide for future longitudinal studies that involve interviewing difficult populations...
- What do clinicians expect? Comparing envisioned and reported violence for male and female patientsJennifer L Skeem
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine, 92697, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:599-609. 2005..Third, when MHPs envisioned violence that was highly conditional on psychiatric deterioration and medication noncompliance, violence often did not occur...
- Associations among early abuse, dissociation, and psychopathy in an offender sampleNorman G Poythress
Florida Mental Health Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 115:288-97. 2006..Implications for psychopathy subtypes are discussed...