Carl A Sirio
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- A cross-cultural comparison of critical care delivery: Japan and the United StatesCarl A Sirio
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Chest 121:539-48. 2002..To compare the utilization and outcomes of critical care services in a cohort of hospitals in the United States and Japan...
- Long-term mortality and quality of life after prolonged mechanical ventilationLakshmipathi Chelluri
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 32:61-9. 2004..To describe and identify factors associated with mortality rate and quality of life 1 yr after prolonged mechanical ventilation...
- eICU program favorably affects clinical and economic outcomesJason R Leong
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Crit Care 9:E22. 2005
- Medication safety manager in an academic medical centerJoanne G Kowiatek
Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 302 Scaife Hall, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 61:58-64. 2004
- Clinical triggers or rapid response teams: does the emperor need "new" clothes?Carl A Sirio
Department of Critical Care Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 35:162-3, 121. 2009..Essential to any rapid response system is certainty regarding its ability to provide an immediate and appropriate response to calls for help...
- Paramedic intubation errors: isolated events or symptoms of larger problems?Henry E Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:501-9. 2006..These findings indicate frequent errors associated with this life-saving technique. These events might be emblematic of larger issues in the structure and delivery of out-of-hospital emergency care...
- Fulminant Clostridium difficile: an underappreciated and increasing cause of death and complicationsRamsey M Dallal
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Ann Surg 235:363-72. 2002..To review the epidemiology and characteristics of patients who died or underwent colectomy secondary to fulminant Clostridium difficile colitis...
- Hospital costs in patients receiving prolonged mechanical ventilation: does age have an impact?Lakshmipathi Chelluri
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Room 637, 6th Floor Scaife, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Crit Care Med 31:1746-51. 2003..The aging of the population is one of the causes of the increase in healthcare costs in the past few decades. It is controversial whether chronological age alone should be used in making healthcare decisions...
- Renal failure in the ICU: comparison of the impact of acute renal failure and end-stage renal disease on ICU outcomesGilles Clermont
Department of Critical Care Medicine and Renal Electrolyte Division, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Kidney Int 62:986-96. 2002..We sought to determine the impact of renal dysfunction and/or loss of organ function on outcome...
- Practical approach to grading evidence for formulary recommendationsNicole T Ansani
Pfizer, Inc, Pittsburgh, PA 15215, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 62:1498-501. 2005
- An advanced pharmacy practice experience in inpatient medication educationAmy Calabrese Donihi
University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Pharm Educ 73:11. 2009..To describe a unique advanced pharmacy practice experience (APPE) in which pharmacy students provided medication education to hospitalized patients...
- Pennsylvania partners in pursuit of good health: building a shared-responsibility model for state health improvementCarl A Sirio
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 10:26-34. 2004....
- Identifying potentially ineffective care in a community hospitalBruce M Fleegler
Department of Medicine, Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Sarasota, FL 34239, USA
Crit Care Med 30:1803-7. 2002..To develop a formula to predict mortality for intensive care unit patients between day 5 in an intensive care unit and 100 days after hospital discharge from a community hospital...
- Age and the risk of in-hospital death: insights from a multihospital study of intensive care patientsGary E Rosenthal
Research Service, Iowa City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1205-12. 2002..To determine independent relationships between age and the risk of in-hospital death...
- Critical care performance measurement: the time has come for allCarl A Sirio
Crit Care Med 34:1538-9. 2006
- Uses of published physician performance dataRhoda H Cobin
JAMA 290:3194-5; author reply 3195. 2003
- Pittsburgh Regional Healthcare Initiative: a systems approach for achieving perfect patient careCarl A Sirio
University of Pittsburgh Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:157-65. 2003..This paper describes PRHI's design for change, reviews the progress and limitations of the shared learning model, and offers a set of broader policy considerations...
- The need for organizational change in patient safety initiativesJames G Anderson
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2059, USA
Int J Med Inform 75:809-17. 2006..This study describes a computer simulation model that has been developed to explore organizational changes required to improve patient safety based on a medication error reporting system...
- A new conceptual framework for ICU performance appraisal and improvementArmando J Rotondi
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Crit Care 17:16-28. 2002..We reviewed the strengths and weaknesses of an outcomes-centered approach to intensive care unit (ICU) evaluation and present a more comprehensive conceptual framework for ICU evaluation and improvement...
- Day of the week of intensive care admission and patient outcomes: a multisite regional evaluationMitchell J Barnett
Program for Interdisciplinary Research in Health Care Organization, Iowa City VA Medical Center and the Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, 52246, USA
Med Care 40:530-9. 2002..Intensive care units (ICUs) appear to be uniquely suited to examine such a question given the unpredictability of ICU admissions and the clinical instability of their patient populations...