Genomes and Genes
Elyse J Singer
Affiliation: University of California
- Stability of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA in cerebrospinal fluid determined with the AMPLICOR HIV-1 MONITOR test, version 1.5 (ultrasensitive)Elyse J Singer
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, 11645 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 770, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:3863-4. 2002..5 (ultrasensitive). While a statistically significant decrease from the baseline was observed at 24 h, but not at 6 or 12 h, and with one freeze-thaw cycle, all changes were within the range of intra-assay variability...
- Neurologic presentations of AIDSElyse J Singer
Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 11645 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 770, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Neurol Clin 28:253-75. 2010....
- Transcriptome analysis of HIV-infected peripheral blood monocytes: gene transcripts and networks associated with neurocognitive functioningAndrew J Levine
Department of Neurology, National Neurological AIDS Bank, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, United States Electronic address
J Neuroimmunol 265:96-105. 2013..We hypothesized that transcriptome changes in peripheral blood monocytes relate to neurocognitive functioning in HIV+ individuals, and that such alterations could be useful as biomarkers of worsening HAND...
- Coronary atherosclerotic lesions in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients: a histopathologic studyRobert G Micheletti
University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Cardiovasc Pathol 18:28-36. 2009..Studies suggest human immunodeficiency virus-positive (HIV+) patients have an increased risk of coronary artery disease (CAD), yet little is known about the histopathology, severity, or distribution of lesions...
- Functional polymorphisms in dopamine-related genes: effect on neurocognitive functioning in HIV+ adultsAndrew J Levine
National Neurological AIDS Bank, Department of Neurology, University of California Los Angeles, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 34:78-91. 2012..We report analyses examining the main effects of functional polymorphisms within dopamine-modulating genes, as well as their interactive effects with disease severity, upon neurocognitive functioning in HIV+ adults...
- Depression, cognition, and self-appraisal of functional abilities in HIV: an examination of subjective appraisal versus objective performanceApril D Thames
Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Clin Neuropsychol 25:224-43. 2011..Together, these results suggest that over-reliance on self-reported functional status poses risk for error when diagnoses require documentation of both cognitive impairment and associated functional disability in everyday life...
- Genome-wide association study of neurocognitive impairment and dementia in HIV-infected adultsAndrew J Levine
National Neurological AIDS Bank, Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 159:669-83. 2012..Due to the relatively small sample size, future collaborative efforts that incorporate this dataset may still yield important findings...
- Systems analysis of human brain gene expression: mechanisms for HIV-associated neurocognitive impairment and common pathways with Alzheimer's diseaseAndrew J Levine
Department of Neurology, National Neurological AIDS Bank, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Med Genomics 6:4. 2013..Additionally, we compare these data to those derived from brains of individuals with Alzheimer's disease (AD) in order to identify common pathways of neuropathogenesis...
- The role of host genetics in the susceptibility for HIV-associated neurocognitive disordersAndrew J Levine
National Neurological AIDS Bank, Department of Neurology, University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, 11645 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 770, Los Angeles, CA, 90025, USA
AIDS Behav 13:118-32. 2009....
- An exploratory study of long-term neurocognitive outcomes following recovery from opportunistic brain infections in HIV+ adultsAndrew J Levine
Los Angeles National Neurological AIDS Bank, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 30:836-43. 2008....
- Medication and finance management among HIV-infected adults: the impact of age and cognitionApril D Thames
UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90024
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 33:200-9. 2011....
- The impact of neurobehavioral features on medication adherence in HIV: evidence from longitudinal modelsStella E Panos
a Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
AIDS Care 26:79-86. 2014..Adherence behavior is multidetermined. Adequate assessment of these factors, combined with timely intervention, appears to be warranted in order to boost adherence rates. ..
- A case of primary HIV type 1 and cytomegalovirus coinfection presenting with widespread clinical diseaseJoseph Y Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Int Assoc Provid AIDS Care 13:196-9. 2014..This and other similar cases demonstrate the need to consider CMV coinfection in acute HIV-1 disease, particularly in situations with significant end-organ damage. ..
- HIV stroke risk: evidence and implicationsElyse J Singer
National Neurological AIDS Bank, Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 11645 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 770, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Ther Adv Chronic Dis 4:61-70. 2013..New prevention and treatment strategies tailored to the needs of the HIV+ population are needed to address this issue...
- Neurocognition in individuals co-infected with HIV and hepatitis CCharles H Hinkin
David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 760 Westwood Plaza, Room C8 747, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Addict Dis 27:11-7. 2008..Finally, we discuss implications of these findings and potential future directions for research in this area...
- NeuroAIDS: characteristics and diagnosis of the neurological complications of AIDSAlireza Minagar
Department of Neurology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
Mol Diagn Ther 12:25-43. 2008....
- Hormone replacement therapy and risk for neurodegenerative diseasesRichelin V Dye
Longevity Center, Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Int J Alzheimers Dis 2012:258454. 2012..Limits to the existing research are discussed, along with proposed future directions for the investigation of HRT and neurodegenerative diseases...
- HIV-1 Antigens in Neurons of Cocaine-Abusing PatientsMilan Fiala
Departments of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Open Virol J 2:24-31. 2008..Cocaine effects may be important in vivo since the neurons of drug abusing patients with HIV-1 associated dementia displayed gp120, p24 and Nef...
- Calcification of the internal elastic lamina of coronary arteriesRobert G Micheletti
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90035, USA
Mod Pathol 21:1019-28. 2008..Internal elastic lamina calcification may result from premature aging due to HIV disease and chronic illness or from metabolic disorders in HIV+ patients...
- Interrater reliability of clinical ratings and neurocognitive diagnoses in HIVSteven Paul Woods
University of California, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 26:759-78. 2004..Not surprisingly, most diagnostic disagreements concerned the etiology of impairments in persons with medical and neuropsychiatric risk factors in addition to HIV...
- Memantine and HIV-associated cognitive impairment: a neuropsychological and proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyGiovanni Schifitto
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14620, USA
AIDS 21:1877-86. 2007..To assess the safety and efficacy of memantine, an uncompetitive antagonist of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor as treatment of HIV-associated cognitive impairment...
- A placebo-controlled study of memantine for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus-associated sensory neuropathyGiovanni Schifitto
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14620, USA
J Neurovirol 12:328-31. 2006..Results were similar to those of other pilot studies of memantine for neuropathic pain unrelated to HIV, suggesting that memantine is ineffective for the symptomatic treatment of HIV-associated SDSP...
- Microbial translocation is associated with increased monocyte activation and dementia in AIDS patientsPetronela Ancuta
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2516. 2008....
- Patient page. A new clue in the mystery of neuro-AIDSElyse J Singer
Neurology 60:E12-3. 2003