S L Simon
Affiliation: University of California
- Cognitive impairment in individuals currently using methamphetamineS L Simon
VA Medications Development Research Unit, Long Beach, Calif, USA
Am J Addict 9:222-31. 2000..The methamphetamine users were significantly more impaired on recall tasks, digit symbol, Stroop color words, and Trail Making B, but scores fell within the normal ranges on the other measures...
- Cognitive performance of current methamphetamine and cocaine abusersSara L Simon
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs ISAP, USA
J Addict Dis 21:61-74. 2002..When compared to their matched non-using control groups, both MA and COC abusers were impaired on cognitive measures, but the type and degree of impairments were somewhat different...
- A comparison of patterns of methamphetamine and cocaine useSara L Simon
Los Angeles Addiction Research Consortium, USA
J Addict Dis 21:35-44. 2002..The cocaine pattern of fewer days of use, evening use, and more frequent doses per day fits a picture of recreational use, whereas the all-day-most-days methamphetamine pattern does not...
- The effect of relapse on cognition in abstinent methamphetamine abusersSara L Simon
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 27:59-66. 2004..Relapse to methamphetamine use may affect episodic memory differently than it affects the other cognitive functions measured...
- A comparison of injecting and noninjecting methamphetamine usersC P Domier
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Los Angeles, California 90025, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 32:229-32. 2000..Differences were found in specific use patterns and in medical, criminal, and psychological histories between the two groups...
- Variation in neurophysiological function and evidence of quantitative electroencephalogram discordance: predicting cocaine-dependent treatment attritionSandy Venneman
Medication Development Unit, Research Service, and Psychiatry Service, West Los Angeles VA Medical Center, California, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 18:208-16. 2006..Failure to complete the trial was not explained by depression, craving, benzoylecgonine levels or quantitative electroencephalogram (QEEG) power; thus cordance may help identify attrition risk...
- Cerebral metabolic dysfunction and impaired vigilance in recently abstinent methamphetamine abusersEdythe D London
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90024 1759, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:770-8. 2005..The links between cognitive impairment and these cerebral abnormalities are not established...
- Working memory in cigarette smokers: comparison to non-smokers and effects of abstinenceAdrianna Mendrek
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Addict Behav 31:833-44. 2006..These findings provide further evidence for a deficit in working memory associated with acute abstinence from smoking, which may contribute to the difficulty of smoking cessation...
- Differences in regional brain metabolism associated with marijuana abuse in methamphetamine abusersBradley Voytek
Department of Psychiatry, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Synapse 57:113-5. 2005
- Structural abnormalities in the brains of human subjects who use methamphetaminePaul M Thompson
Laboratory of Neuroimaging, Brain Mapping Division, Department of Neurology, University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 1769, USA
J Neurosci 24:6028-36. 2004..These brain substrates may help account for the symptoms of MA abuse, providing therapeutic targets for drug-induced brain injury...
- Mood disturbances and regional cerebral metabolic abnormalities in recently abstinent methamphetamine abusersEdythe D London
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California Los Angeles, 760 Westwood Plaza, PO Box 175919, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:73-84. 2004..Mood disturbances in methamphetamine (MA) abusers likely influence drug use, but the neurobiological bases for these problems are poorly understood...
- Cognitive deficits among methamphetamine users with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptomatologyTiffanie Sim
Los Angeles Addiction Research Consortium, USA
J Addict Dis 21:75-89. 2002..The preliminary data suggests that executive function deficits and some of the symptoms associated with long-term MA use may be due to the fact that a large proportion of MA addicts had ADHD symptomatology as children...
- If a US drug abuse epidemic fails to include a major east coast city, can it be called an epidemic?Richard A Rawson
J Addict Dis 21:1-4. 2002
- Brain activity in cigarette smokers performing a working memory task: effect of smoking abstinenceJiansong Xu
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Biol Psychiatry 58:143-50. 2005..Our aim, therefore, was to identify abnormalities in the circuitry that mediates working memory in nicotine-dependent subjects after they initiate abstinence from smoking...
- Effects of cigarette smoking and abstinence on Stroop task performanceCatherine P Domier
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 195:1-9. 2007..Selective attention may be important in this regard, but earlier literature presents inconsistent findings on how smoking abstinence and resumption of smoking influence this cognitive function...
- Severity of nicotine dependence moderates performance on perceptual-motor tests of attentionAllen Azizian
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Laboratory of Molecular Neuroimaging, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:599-606. 2008..The findings suggest that severity of nicotine dependence and slowness in perceptual-motor tasks of attention share an underlying basis...