Affiliation: University of California
- The effects of temporal unpredictability in anticipation of negative events in combat veterans with PTSDAlan N Simmons
Research Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92130, USA
J Affect Disord 146:426-32. 2013....
- Altered amygdala activation during face processing in Iraqi and Afghanistani war veteransAlan N Simmons
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Biol Mood Anxiety Disord 1:6. 2011..abstract:..
- Altered insula activation in anticipation of changing emotional states: neural mechanisms underlying cognitive flexibility in Special Operations Forces personnelAlan N Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Neuroreport 23:234-9. 2012..These neural changes may underlie their ability to perform well in stressful situations...
- Neural circuitry of PTSD with or without mild traumatic brain injury: a meta-analysisAlan N Simmons
Veteran Affairs, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Neuropharmacology 62:598-606. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder'...
- Anxiety positive subjects show altered processing in the anterior insula during anticipation of negative stimuliAlan N Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 32:1836-46. 2011..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that anxiety is related to greater anticipatory reactivity in the brain and that there may be functional asymmetries in the brain that interact with psychiatric traits...
- Initial evidence of a failure to activate right anterior insula during affective set shifting in posttraumatic stress disorderAlan Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychosom Med 71:373-7. 2009..An altered ability to monitor or modulate interoception as it relates to subjective experience may provide a mechanistic explanation for the development of some forms of psychiatric illness...
- Functional activation and neural networks in women with posttraumatic stress disorder related to intimate partner violenceAlan N Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, and VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92037, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:681-90. 2008..Victims of IPV are often preoccupied by the anticipation of impending harm. This investigation tested the hypothesis that IPV-related PTSD individuals show exaggerated insula reactivity to the anticipation of aversive stimuli...
- Anxiety vulnerability is associated with altered anterior cingulate response to an affective appraisal taskAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, The Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92037 0985, USA
Neuroreport 19:1033-7. 2008..Collectively, these data indicate that anxious individuals activate the dorsal and ventral components of the ACC differently during affective appraisal...
- Intolerance of uncertainty correlates with insula activation during affective ambiguityAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, USA
Neurosci Lett 430:92-7. 2008..Previously observed insula hyperactivity in anxiety disorder individuals may therefore be directly linked to altered processes of uncertainty...
- Anticipation of aversive visual stimuli is associated with increased insula activation in anxiety-prone subjectsAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:402-9. 2006....
- Affective ambiguity for a group recruits ventromedial prefrontal cortexAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California San Diego, 92037, USA
Neuroimage 29:655-61. 2006..This supports the dissociation of the ACC into dorsal cognitive and ventral affective divisions, and suggests that the ventromedial PFC may play a critical role in appraising affective tone in a complex display of multiple human faces...
- Anticipation of emotionally aversive visual stimuli activates right insulaAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0985, USA
Neuroreport 15:2261-5. 2004..These findings indicate that common neural circuitry is involved in the anticipation of (and, perhaps, the subjective experience of anticipating) aversive affective and noxious physical stimuli...
- Subchronic SSRI administration reduces insula response during affective anticipation in healthy volunteersAlan N Simmons
University of California, San Diego, CA 92161 0151B, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:1009-20. 2009....
- Altered brain response for semantic knowledge in Alzheimer's diseaseChristina E Wierenga
Research Service, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Neuropsychologia 49:392-404. 2011....
- Combat-exposed war veterans at risk for suicide show hyperactivation of prefrontal cortex and anterior cingulate during error processingScott Matthews
VA San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093 0603, USA
Psychosom Med 74:471-5. 2012..We hypothesized that combat veterans with a history of SI relative to those without such a history would show altered activation in the anterior cingulate cortex and related circuitry during self-monitoring...
- Anterior cingulate activation in high trait anxious subjects is related to altered error processing during decision makingMartin P Paulus
Department of Psychiatry, University of California Sand Diego, La Jolla 92093 9116, USA
Biol Psychiatry 55:1179-87. 2004....
- Inhibition-related activity in subgenual cingulate is associated with symptom severity in major depressionScott Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, United States
Psychiatry Res 172:1-6. 2009..Among MDD individuals, inhibition-related subgenual activation correlated with depressive symptom severity, implicating subgenual ACC in inhibitory control processes related to clinical depression...
- Greater anterior insula activation during anticipation of food images in women recovered from anorexia nervosa versus controlsTyson Oberndorfer
University of California at San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, MC 0603, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine, 13001 E, 17th Place, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Psychiatry Res 214:132-41. 2013..Finally, these findings raise the possibility that enhanced anterior insula anticipatory response to food cues in recovered AN could contribute to exaggerated sensitivity and anxiety related to food and eating. ..
- Selective effects of social anxiety, anxiety sensitivity, and negative affectivity on the neural bases of emotional face processingTali Manber Ball
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Neuroimage 59:1879-87. 2012..In comparison, hypoactivity to positively valenced faces was predominantly associated with negative affectivity. Implications for the understanding of emotion processing in anxiety are discussed...
- Left inferior prefrontal cortex activation during a semantic decision-making task predicts the degree of semantic organizationAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, 92093 0603, USA
Neuroimage 28:30-8. 2005..This finding is consistent with the role of the IPFC in establishing self-generated semantic relationships between stimuli...
- Increased activation in the right insula during risk-taking decision making is related to harm avoidance and neuroticismMartin P Paulus
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Neuroimage 19:1439-48. 2003..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that insula activation serves as a critical neural substrate to instantiate aversive somatic markers that guide risk-taking decision-making behavior...
- Trauma exposure, branch of service, and physical injury in relation to mental health among U.S. veterans returning from Iraq and AfghanistanDewleen G Baker
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, 9500 Gilman Dr, MC 0603 La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Mil Med 174:773-8. 2009..Follow-up analyses revealed that trauma history and combat exposure varied by branch of service. Knowledge of base rates and vulnerability factors can aid in rapid detection of "at risk" individuals...
- Hunger does not motivate reward in women remitted from anorexia nervosaChristina E Wierenga
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California
Biol Psychiatry 77:642-52. 2015..This study investigated brain response to rewards during hunger and satiated states to examine whether diminished response to reward could underlie food restriction in AN...
- Increased functional brain response during word retrieval in cognitively intact older adults at genetic risk for Alzheimer's diseaseChristina E Wierenga
Department of Psychiatry, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Neuroimage 51:1222-33. 2010..Findings are discussed in the context of possible compensatory mechanisms invoked to maintain performance in those at genetic risk for AD...
- fMRI differences between subjects with low and high responses to alcohol during a stop signal taskMarc A Schuckit
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, 92037, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36:130-40. 2012..While the low LR reflects, at least in part, a low brain response to alcohol, the physiological underpinnings of the low LR have only recently been addressed...
- The effects of loss versus alteration of consciousness on inhibition-related brain activity among individuals with a history of blast-related concussionScott Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 191:76-9. 2011..LOC versus AOC subjects displayed altered ventromedial prefrontal cortex activity, which correlated with somatic symptom severity-findings which may suggest a neural correlate of impaired self awareness after LOC...
- Altered BOLD response during inhibitory and error processing in adolescents with anorexia nervosaChristina Wierenga
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e92017. 2014..However, the degree to which these functional brain alterations are related to disease state and whether error processing is altered in AN individuals is unknown...