Affiliation: University of California
- Compliance of clinical trial registries with the World Health Organization minimum data set: a surveyLorenzo P Moja
Italian Cochrane Centre, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Trials 10:56. 2009..The objective is to evaluate registries' and individual trial records' compliance with the 2006 version of the WHO minimum data set...
- ExaCT: automatic extraction of clinical trial characteristics from journal publicationsSvetlana Kiritchenko
Institute for Information Technology, National Research Council, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 10:56. 2010..g., eligibility criteria, sample size, drug dosage, primary outcomes) from full-text journal articles reporting on randomized controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Beyond trial registration: a global trial bank for clinical trial reportingIda Sim
Department of Medicine, and the Program in Biological and Medical Informatics, University of California, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 2:e365. 2005
- Electronic trial banks: a complementary method for reporting randomized trialsI Sim
VA Health Care System, Palo Alto, California, USA
Med Decis Making 20:440-50. 2000..The authors propose that RCTs be reported into electronic knowledge bases-trial banks-in addition to being reported in text. What information should these trial-bank reports contain?..
- Trial bank publishing: phase I resultsIda Sim
Programs in Biological and Medical Informatics, University of California San Francisco, CA 94143 1211, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:1476-80. 2004..Publishing RCTs directly into machine-understandable "trial banks" may allow computers to deliver RCT evidence more selectively and effectively to clinicians...
- An ontology of randomized controlled trials for evidence-based practice: content specification and evaluation using the competency decomposition methodIda Sim
Department of Medicine, Program in Biological and Medical Informatics, University of California, 3333 California St, Suite 435 Q, San Francisco, CA 94143 1211, USA
J Biomed Inform 37:108-19. 2004..We illustrate the use of this competency decomposition approach for the content specification and evaluation of an RCT ontology for evidence-based practice...
- Clinical decision support systems for the practice of evidence-based medicineI Sim
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, California 94143 0320, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 8:527-34. 2001..The use of clinical decision support systems to facilitate the practice of evidence-based medicine promises to substantially improve health care quality...
- A new framework for describing and quantifying the gap between proof and practiceIda Sim
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, and Program in Biological and Medical Informatics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 0320, USA
Med Care 41:874-81. 2003..Substantial gaps often exist between every day practice and best practice as defined by research evidence. We present a framework for defining, analyzing, and quantifying such proof-to-practice gaps...
- Evidence-based practice for mere mortals: the role of informatics and health services researchIda Sim
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine and the Graduate Group in Biological and Medical Informatics, University of California San Francisco, 94143 0320, USA
J Gen Intern Med 17:302-8. 2002..We discuss 2 illustrative systems--trial banks and a web-based system to develop and disseminate evidence-based guidelines (alchemist)--and conclude with a research and training agenda...
- Physicians' use of electronic medical records: barriers and solutionsRobert H Miller
Institute for Health and Aging, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 23:116-26. 2004..We then suggest policy interventions to overcome these barriers, including providing work/practice support systems, improving electronic clinical data exchange, and providing financial rewards for quality improvement...
- Electronic medical records in solo/small groups: a qualitative study of physician user typesRobert H Miller
Institute for Health and Aging, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street, Suite 340, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:658-62. 2004..There is growing recognition that physician use of electronic medical records (EMRs) is critical for improving quality of care in outpatient settings...
- The value of electronic health records in solo or small group practicesRobert H Miller
University of California, San Francisco, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 24:1127-37. 2005..Policies should be designed to provide incentives and support services to help practices improve the quality of their care by using EHRs...
- Trial registration for public trust: making the case for medical devicesIda Sim
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 400 Parnassus Ave, Rm A 405, San Francisco, CA 94143 0320, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:64-8. 2008..This paper examines the issues surrounding registration of device trials and argues that these differences with pharmaceutical should not exempt device trials from registration...
- A taxonomic description of computer-based clinical decision support systemsAmy Berlin
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Biomed Inform 39:656-67. 2006..Computer-based clinical decision support systems (CDSSs) vary greatly in design and function. Using a taxonomy that we had previously developed, we describe the characteristics of CDSSs reported in the literature...
- Antibiotic treatment of acute bronchitis in smokers: a systematic reviewJeffrey A Linder
General Medicine Division, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Mass 02114, USA
J Gen Intern Med 17:230-4. 2002..Community physicians in the United States prescribe antibiotics to 80% to 90% of smokers with acute bronchitis. We performed a systematic review of the literature to determine the efficacy of antibiotics for smokers with acute bronchitis...
- Characteristics of outpatient clinical decision support systems: a taxonomic descriptionAmy Berlin
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, 3333 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 107:578-81. 2004..6. Our findings demonstrate that outpatient CDSSs vary greatly in design and function. Many impose a data entry or output-processing burden on clinic staff. More complete reporting of CDSS characteristics is needed in the literature...
- International clinical trial registration: any progress?A Metin Gulmezoglu
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:1-2. 2006
- Assessing clinical trial resultsAn Wen Chan
Science 312:365-6; author reply 365-6. 2006
- Clinical trial registration: transparency is the watchwordIda Sim
Department of Research Policy and Cooperation, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Lancet 367:1631-3. 2006
- [Principles of the international registry of protocols and clinical trial results based on health interventions in human beings: Ottawa Declaration (part 1)]Karmela Krleza-Jeric
Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:413-6. 2006
- Principles for international registration of protocol information and results from human trials of health related interventions: Ottawa statement (part 1)Karmela Krleza-Jeric
Randomised Controlled Trials Unit, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Ottawa, 160 Elgin Street, Ottawa ON, K1A 0W9, Canada
BMJ 330:956-8. 2005
- The Trial Bank ProjectIda Sim; Fiscal Year: 2009....