Steven M Silverstein
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Effectiveness of a two-phase cognitive rehabilitation intervention for severely impaired schizophrenia patientsSteven M Silverstein
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Psychol Med 35:829-37. 2005..Several small-N, uncontrolled reports have demonstrated that the behavioral technique of attention shaping has significantly increased attention span among severely ill schizophrenia patients...
- At issue: The future of cognitive rehabilitation of schizophreniaSteven M Silverstein
Center for Cognitive Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Psychiatry, 912 South Wood Street, Suite 235, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Schizophr Bull 30:679-92. 2004..Suggestions for addressing these issues are discussed...
- Gestalt psychology: the forgotten paradigm in abnormal psychologySteven M Silverstein
Center for Cognitive Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Psychol 117:259-77. 2004..Specifically, it appears that a breakdown of Gestalt organizational processes may characterize both the cognitive and the brain processes in schizophrenia...
- [Techniques for improving attentiveness and treatment engagement among "treatment refractory" schizophrenia patients with severe cognitive impairment]Steven M Silverstein
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Sante Ment Que 29:65-88. 2004..In this paper, we describe techniques for promoting attentiveness and treatment engagement among severely disabled "treatment-refractory" patients. This includes both individual and group-based interventions...
- Reduced top-down influences in contour detection in schizophreniaSteven M Silverstein
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, White Plains, NY, USA
Cogn Neuropsychiatry 11:112-32. 2006....
- Relational and Item-Specific Encoding (RISE): task development and psychometric characteristicsJohn D Ragland
Department of Psychiatry, Imaging Research Center, University of California at Davis, 4701 X Street, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Schizophr Bull 38:114-24. 2012..This manuscript describes how a cognitive neuroscience functional imaging paradigm was translated for clinical research...
- Clinical, functional, and intertask correlations of measures developed by the Cognitive Neuroscience Test Reliability and Clinical Applications for Schizophrenia ConsortiumJames M Gold
Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland School of Medicine, PO Box 21247, Baltimore, MD 21228, USA
Schizophr Bull 38:144-52. 2012..These results suggest that the CNTRACS tasks measure discrete cognitive abilities, some of which relate to aspects of functional capacity/outcome in schizophrenia...
- Insight and recovery from psychosis in chronic schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder patientsThomas E Smith
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
J Psychiatr Res 38:169-76. 2004..Clinicians should also be aware of the multidetermined nature of impaired insight, and future research should aim to isolate distinct mechanisms that give rise to these deficits...
- Perceptual organization and visual search processes during target detection task performance in schizophrenia, as revealed by fMRISteven M Silverstein
Department of Psychiatry, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, University Behavioral HealthCare, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Neuropsychologia 48:2886-93. 2010..Here, we examined, using fMRI, activation differences on a visual task wherein feature grouping was a precursor to the formation of distinct groups in the service of target location and identification...
- The micro-module learning tests: work-sample assessments of responsiveness to skills trainingSteven M Silverstein
Center for Cognitive Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA
Schizophr Bull 31:73-83. 2005..The MMLT appears to be a reliable and valid measure for rapidly assessing responsiveness to skills training procedures...
- Factor structure of the BPRS in deaf people with schizophrenia: correlates to language and thoughtHeather K Horton
School of Social Welfare, University at Albany, New York, NY 12222, USA
Cogn Neuropsychiatry 16:256-83. 2011..Thus, we determined the factor structure of the 24-item Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS) in deaf (n = 34) and hearing (n = 31) people with schizophrenia and compared it to a standard four-factor solution...
- Coping with voices: selective attention training for persistent auditory hallucinations in treatment refractory schizophreniaMichi Hatashita-Wong
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 21 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Psychiatry 66:255-61. 2003....
- [Interpersonal techniques for optimizing positive outcomes in the inpatient psychiatric rehabilitation of schizophrenia]Steven M Silverstein
Center for Cognitive Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Sante Ment Que 29:45-63. 2004..The discussion ends with the description of a successful behavior contract that employed a number of these techniques...
- Perceptual measurement in schizophrenia: promising electrophysiology and neuroimaging paradigms from CNTRICSPamela D Butler
Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Schizophrenia Research Center, Orangeburg, NY, USA
Schizophr Bull 38:81-91. 2012..This manuscript describes the ways in which each of these tasks met the criteria used in the breakout group to evaluate and recommend tasks for further development...
- [Clinical management and rehabilitation of the treatment refractory patient: conceptual foundations and outcome data]Steven M Silverstein
Center for Cognitive Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Sante Ment Que 29:15-44. 2004....
- [Multimodal treatment of aggression and violence in individuals with psychosis]Sandra M Wilkniss
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Sante Ment Que 29:143-74. 2004....
- An event-related potential examination of contour integration deficits in schizophreniaPamela D Butler
Schizophrenia Research Division, Nathan S Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research Orangeburg, NY, USA Department of Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine New York, NY, USA Department of Psychology, City University of New York New York, NY, USA
Front Psychol 4:132. 2013..These results are in accord with impairments in distributed circuitry contributing to perceptual organization deficits and provide an ERP analog to the behavioral contour integration task...
- Resting electroencephalogram asymmetry and posttraumatic stress disorderStewart A Shankman
Department of Psychology and Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
J Trauma Stress 21:190-8. 2008..g., major depressive disorder, panic disorder)...
- Verbal memory in schizophrenia: sex differences over repeated assessmentsJoanna M Fiszdon
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York Presbyterian Hospital, 21 Bloomingdale Road, 10605, White Plains, NY, USA
Schizophr Res 61:235-43. 2003..There was also a significant time by gender interaction. The BPRS covariate effect was not significant. Results are discussed in terms of implications for gender-informed approaches to rehabilitation treatments...
- Recovery from psychosis in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder: symptoms and neurocognitive rate-limiters for the development of social behavior skillsThomas E Smith
Department of Psychiatry, Westchester Division, Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York Presbyterian Hospital, 21 Bloomingdale Road, White Plains 10605, USA
Schizophr Res 55:229-37. 2002..It is proposed that clinicians should consider neurocognitive thresholds for treatment response when developing rehabilitation plans...
- Measuring specific, rather than generalized, cognitive deficits and maximizing between-group effect size in studies of cognition and cognitive changeSteven M Silverstein
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, University Behavioral HealthCare and Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Schizophr Bull 34:645-55. 2008..Finally, additional considerations for maximizing sensitivity and real-world significance in clinical trials are discussed...
- Visual perception and its impairment in schizophreniaPamela D Butler
Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:40-7. 2008....
- Histories of childhood maltreatment in schizophrenia: relationships with premorbid functioning, symptomatology, and cognitive deficitsLindsay S Schenkel
University of Nebraska Lincoln, Department of Psychology, 325 Burnett Hall, Lincoln, NE 60612, USA
Schizophr Res 76:273-86. 2005..A history of childhood maltreatment appears to be a significant determinant of premorbid functioning, illness-related symptom expression, and specific forms of cognitive dysfunction...
- Evidence for impaired visual context processing in schizotypy with thought disorderPeter J Uhlhaas
Center for Computational and Cognitive Neuroscience and Department of Psychology, University of Stirling, Stirling FK 9 4 LA, UK
Schizophr Res 68:249-60. 2004..These results support the hypothesis that deficits in visual context processing are the manifestation of a larger disturbance of cognitive coordination in schizotypy and schizophrenia...
- Cognition and functional outcome among deaf and hearing people with schizophreniaHeather K Horton
School of Social Welfare, University at Albany, Richardson Hall 280, 135 Western Avenue, Albany, NY 12203, USA
Schizophr Res 94:187-96. 2007..This study extends prior work in the area of cognition and schizophrenia and indicates that deaf and hearing subjects may benefit from interventions that address different domains of cognition...
- Theory of mind and perceptual context-processing in schizophreniaPeter J Uhlhaas
Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, and Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Cogn Neuropsychiatry 11:416-36. 2006..However, the cognitive mechanisms underlying ToM deficits in schizophrenia are largely unknown. The present study examined the hypothesis that impaired ToM in schizophrenia can be understood as a deficit in context processing...
- Convergence of biological and psychological perspectives on cognitive coordination in schizophreniaWilliam A Phillips
Department of Psychology, Center for Cognitive and Computational Neuroscience, University of Stirling, Stirling FK9 4LA, Scotland, United Kingdom
Behav Brain Sci 26:65-82; discussion 82-137. 2003..This perspective suggests several ways in which further research could enhance our understanding of cognitive coordination, its neural basis, and its relevance to psychopathology...
- Learning potential as a predictor of readiness for psychosocial rehabilitation in schizophreniaJoanna M Fiszdon
Yale University Department of Psychiatry, New Haven, CT, USA
Psychiatry Res 143:159-66. 2006..Explicit semantic clustering training was associated with increases in the use of the trained strategy...
- The course and clinical correlates of dysfunctions in visual perceptual organization in schizophrenia during the remission of psychotic symptomsPeter J Uhlhaas
Department of Neurophysiology, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Deutschordenstr 46, Frankfurt am Main 60528, Germany
Schizophr Res 75:183-92. 2005....
- Dimensions of premorbid functioning in schizophrenia: a review of neuromotor, cognitive, social, and behavioral domainsLindsay S Schenkel
Department of Psychology, University of Nebraska Lincoln, USA
Genet Soc Gen Psychol Monogr 130:241-70. 2004..Alternative approaches to studying early functioning in schizophrenia are highlighted...
- [Cognitive rehabilitation of schizophrenia: a pragmatic approach of the integration process to battle against refractory symptoms]Jérôme A Lapasset
Centre hospitalier du Vinatier, Lyon, France
Sante Ment Que 29:89-116. 2004..Preliminary results suggest that it could be very beneficial for patients suffering of schizophrenia...
- Perceptual organization in schizophrenia spectrum disorders: empirical research and theoretical implicationsPeter J Uhlhaas
Department of Neurophysiology, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Psychol Bull 131:618-32. 2005..These suggest that deficits in perceptual organization may be one manifestation of a wider disturbance in the integration of contextually related information across space and time...
- Development and validation of a World-Wide-Web-based neurocognitive assessment battery: WebNeuroSteven M Silverstein
Division of Schizophrenia Research, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Behav Res Methods 39:940-9. 2007..These results support the validity of WebNeuro as a neurocognitive assessment measure. Advantages of its use in applied and research settings are discussed...
- Perceptual grouping in disorganized schizophreniaPeter J Uhlhaas
Department of Neurophysiology, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Deutschordenstr 46, Frankfurt am Main, 60528, Germany
Psychiatry Res 145:105-17. 2006....
- Poor premorbid social functioning and theory of mind deficit in schizophrenia: evidence of reduced context processing?Lindsay S Schenkel
Department of Psychology, University of Nebraska Lincoln, 325 Burnett Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588, USA
J Psychiatr Res 39:499-508. 2005..These impairments may be a factor in both poor social functioning during childhood and greater disorganized symptoms after illness onset...
- Shaping Attention in treatment-Refractory SchizophreniaSteven Silverstein; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..