Maria J Silveira
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- End-of-life care from the perspective of primary care providersMaria J Silveira
Veterans Administration, Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, 300 North Ingalls Building, Room 7C27, Box 5429, Ann Arbor, MI USA
J Gen Intern Med 27:1287-93. 2012..To explore the factors influencing primary care providers' ability to care for their dying patients in Michigan...
- Prehospital DNR orders: what do physicians in Washington know?Maria J Silveira
General Medicine, Bioethics Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1435-8. 2003..To assess whether physicians know of Washington State's prehospital do-not-resuscitate (DNR) policy, 6 years after its implementation...
- Community supply of hospice: does wealth play a role?Maria J Silveira
VA Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 42:76-82. 2011..Hospice is underused by older, rural, and minority populations...
- Advance directives and outcomes of surrogate decision making before deathMaria J Silveira
Veterans Affairs Center for Clinical Management Research, and Division of General Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
N Engl J Med 362:1211-8. 2010..Recent discussions about health care reform have raised questions regarding the value of advance directives...
- Patient-caregiver concordance in symptom assessment and improvement in outcomes for patients undergoing cancer chemotherapyMaria J Silveira
VA Center for Clinical Management Research, PO Box 130170, Ann Arbor, MI 48113, USA
Chronic Illn 6:46-56. 2010..To measure the agreement between cancer patients' and family caregivers' perceptions of the patients' symptom severity, and the association between changes in caregiver accuracy and changes in outcomes...
- Statins in the last six months of life: a recognizable, life-limiting condition does not decrease their useMaria J Silveira
Veterans Health Administration, Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Palliat Med 11:685-93. 2008..However, the extent of statin use at the end of life has yet to be described and whether statin prescribing may already be influenced by the presence of a recognizable, life-limiting condition is unknown...
- Likelihood of home death associated with local rates of home birth: influence of local area healthcare preferences on site of deathMaria J Silveira
VA Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1243-8. 2006..We tested whether local cultural and social values regarding the use of health care are associated with the likelihood of home death, using variation in local rates of home births as a proxy for geographic variation in these values...
- Net worth predicts symptom burden at the end of lifeMaria J Silveira
VA Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, 300 North Ingalls Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0429, USA
J Palliat Med 8:827-37. 2005..To explore the predictors of symptom burden at the end of life...
- Cancer Carepartners: Improving patients' symptom management by engaging informal caregiversMaria J Silveira
Center for Clinical Management Research, Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
BMC Palliat Care 10:21. 2011..abstract:..
- Engagement with automated patient monitoring and self-management support calls: experience with a thousand chronically ill patientsJohn D Piette
Department of Veterans Affairs, Center for Clinical Management Research, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2800, USA
Med Care 51:216-23. 2013..Patient self-care support via Interactive Voice Response (IVR) can improve disease management. However, little is known about the factors affecting program engagement...
- Family influences on self-management among functionally independent adults with diabetes or heart failure: do family members hinder as much as they help?Ann Marie Rosland
Center for Clinical Management Research, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Chronic Illn 6:22-33. 2010..We then identified patient characteristics associated with family support and family barriers and how each was associated with self-management adherence...
- Medication cost problems among chronically ill adults in the US: did the financial crisis make a bad situation even worse?John D Piette
Ann Arbor VA Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Patient Prefer Adherence 5:187-94. 2011..Given links between CRN and worse health, the financial downturn may have had significant health consequences for adults with chronic illness...
- Maximizing the value of mobile health monitoring by avoiding redundant patient reports: prediction of depression-related symptoms and adherence problems in automated health assessment servicesJohn D Piette
VA Center for Clinical Management Research and Division of General Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48113 0170, United States
J Med Internet Res 15:e118. 2013..However, redundant assessments may increase patient dropout and represent a lost opportunity to collect more clinically useful data...
- Spanish-speaking patients' engagement in interactive voice response (IVR) support calls for chronic disease self-management: data from three countriesJohn D Piette
Department of Veterans Affairs, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48113 0170, USA
J Telemed Telecare 19:89-94. 2013..IVR self-management support is feasible among Spanish-speaking patients with chronic disease, including those living in less-developed countries. Involving informal caregivers may increase patient engagement...