Michael P Sherman
Affiliation: University of California
- Neonatal small bowel epithelia: enhancing anti-bacterial defense with lactoferrin and Lactobacillus GGMichael P Sherman
School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Biometals 17:285-9. 2004....
- A randomized placebo-controlled comparison of 2 prebiotic/probiotic combinations in preterm infants: impact on weight gain, intestinal microbiota, and fecal short-chain fatty acidsMark A Underwood
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Davis, 95616, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 48:216-25. 2009..To compare the effect of 2 prebiotic/probiotic products on weight gain, stool microbiota, and stool short-chain fatty acid (SCFA) content of premature infants...
- Bifidobacterium bifidum in a rat model of necrotizing enterocolitis: antimicrobial peptide and protein responsesMark A Underwood
Department of Pediatrics, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California, USA
Pediatr Res 71:546-51. 2012..Probiotics decrease the risk of NEC in clinical and experimental studies. Antimicrobial peptides protect the gut against noxious microbes and shape the commensal microbiota, but their role in NEC remains unclear...
- Paneth cells and antibacterial host defense in neonatal small intestineMichael P Sherman
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
Infect Immun 73:6143-6. 2005..coli cells in their jejunal and ileal lavage fluid are significantly increased compared to controls. The data support that Paneth cells are necessary for neonatal antibacterial defense...
- Teaching malpractice litigation in a mock trial setting: a center for perinatal medicine and lawWilliam M Gilbert
Center for Perinatal Medicine and Law, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California Davis, 4860 Y Street, Suite 2500, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Obstet Gynecol 101:589-93. 2003..To describe a novel center for perinatal medicine and law in a school of medicine and assess its inaugural presentation of the role of expert witnesses in a mock trial setting...
- Lactoferrin-enhanced anoikis: a defense against neonatal necrotizing enterocolitisMichael P Sherman
Division of Neonatology, School of Medicine, University of California, Surge I, Suite 1121, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Med Hypotheses 65:478-82. 2005....
- Near-infrared spectroscopy as a screening tool for patent ductus arteriosus in extremely low birth weight infantsMark A Underwood
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Davis School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Neonatology 91:134-9. 2007..Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is frequent and potentially pathologic in preterm infants. A simple bedside tool to screen for ductal patency would assist in the care of extremely low birth weight (ELBW) infants...
- Amniotic fluid: not just fetal urine anymoreMark A Underwood
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Perinatol 25:341-8. 2005..This article reviews recent discoveries and the current understanding of the origin and circulation of AF and its nutritive, protective, and diagnostic functions. Future directions for AF research are also discussed...