George F Sheldon
Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Embrace the challenge: advice for current and prospective department chairsGeorge F Sheldon
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Acad Med 88:914-5. 2013..The author concludes that, despite a changing health care environment and other significant leadership challenges, being a department chair is a rewarding job with many opportunities to pursue worthwhile objectives. ..
- Supply and demand--surgical and health workforceGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, The University of North Carolina, 180 Wing D, CB 7228, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7228, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:1493-509, viii-ix. 2004
- The evolving surgeon shortage in the health reform eraGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery and Social Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Campus Box 7050, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 15:1104-11. 2011..For surgery, the shortage is particularly challenging. In 1981, 1047 surgeons were certified by the American Board of Surgery; in 2008, that number had dropped to just 909...
- Increasing the number of trainees in general surgery residencies: is there capacity?Anthony G Charles
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Acad Med 86:599-604. 2011..S. surgical workforce. Given the likelihood of increasing shortages of general surgeons, the authors evaluated available expansion capacity of existing general surgery residency programs...
- Characteristics of practice among rural and urban general surgeons in North CarolinaJennifer King
Cecil G Sheps Center for Health Services Research, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Ann Surg 249:1052-60. 2009..To examine variation in the practice patterns of individual general surgeons and how they differ between rural and urban areas of North Carolina...
- The global health workforce shortage: role of surgeons and other providersGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, The University of North Carolina, CB 7050, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Adv Surg 42:63-85. 2008..The recommendation that students make personal specialty choices reversed the prior recommendation that a majority of students enter primary care practice...
- Surgical workforce since the 1975 study of surgical services in the United States: an updateGeorge F Sheldon
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Ann Surg 246:541-5. 2007
- The Department of Surgery University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel HillAnthony A Meyer
Arch Surg 140:116-8. 2005
- Great expectations: the 21st century health workforceGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, 167 Burnett Womack Clinical Science Bldg, University of North Carolina Medical School, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Am J Surg 185:35-41. 2003..The "knowledge society" requires a different workforce than that predicted by most health planners...
- Globalization and the health workforce shortageGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Surgery 140:354-8. 2006
- A tribute to George F. Sheldon's vision, versatility, and leadership by exampleAnthony Meyer
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Am J Surg 185:3-5. 2003....
- Comparison of private versus academic practice for general surgeons: a guide for medical students and residentsAnneke T Schroen
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Am Coll Surg 197:1000-11. 2003..The purpose of this study was to portray practice composition, career choices, professional experiences, job satisfaction, and personal life characteristics specific to practicing general surgeons in the United States...
- Surgical organizations in the 21st centuryGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 7050, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7050, USA
Am J Surg 183:338-44. 2002
- Workforce issues in general surgeryGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, The University of North Carolina, 4006 Burnett Womack Building, CB 7050, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Am Surg 73:100-8. 2007..Designing modern undergraduate and graduate educational programs is key to planning for healthcare in the 21st century...
- Progressive specialization within general surgery: adding to the complexity of workforce planningKaryn B Stitzenberg
Cecil G Sheps Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:925-32. 2005..This study examines progressive specialization by evaluating trends in fellowship training among general surgeons...
- Psychological well-being of surgery residents before the 80-hour work week: a multiinstitutional studyS Mahmood Zaré
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7081, USA
J Am Coll Surg 198:633-40. 2004..Although surgical trainees will be dramatically affected by these changes, no comprehensive assessment of their well-being has been recently attempted...
- Another focus on workforce issuesGeorge F Sheldon
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:270-1. 2002
- Gauging supply and demand: the challenging quest to predict the future physician workforceRalph Snyderman
Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:167-8. 2002
- The health workforce: a position statementJay L Grosfeld
American Surgical Association, USA
Ann Surg 246:525-6. 2007
- Changes in county hospitals during Sheldon's tenureF William Blaisdell
University of California Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Am J Surg 185:30-4. 2003..Sheldon's tenure, 1964 to 1985. The primary impact came from Medicaid and Medicare legislation in 1965. The secondary impact came as the result of the drug culture entering American cities...
- American Surgical Association Blue Ribbon Committee Report on Surgical Education: 2004Haile T Debas
ASA Blue Ribbon Committee on Surgical Education, UCSF Global Health Sciences, 94143 0443, USA
Ann Surg 241:1-8. 2005
- Increasing women's leadership in academic medicine: report of the AAMC Project Implementation CommitteeJanet Bickel
Women in Medicine, AAMC, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Acad Med 77:1043-61. 2002....
- A Festschrift honoring Norman M. RichDavid G Burris
World J Surg 29:S1-6. 2005..Rich, MD, Facs, DMCC, was held on Friday 26 March, 2004 in conjunction with the 24th Annual USU Surgical Associates Day. This article describes that event and introduces the articles written in celebration of it...