Genomes and Genes
JERRY WILLIAM SHAY
Affiliation: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Kim S, Zhang L, Barron S, Shay J. Inhibition of microRNA-31-5p protects human colonic epithelial cells against ionizing radiation. Life Sci Space Res (Amst). 2014;1:67-73 pubmed publisher..Targeting this pathway could be a promising therapeutic strategy for future personalized anti-cancer radiotherapy. ..
- Lai T, Wright W, Shay J. Comparison of telomere length measurement methods. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2018;373: pubmed publisher..This article is part of the theme issue 'Understanding diversity in telomere dynamics'. ..
- Zhang L, Theodoropoulos P, Eskiocak U, Wang W, Moon Y, Posner B, et al. Selective targeting of mutant adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) in colorectal cancer. Sci Transl Med. 2016;8:361ra140 pubmed..TASIN-1 represents a potential therapeutic strategy for prevention and intervention in CRC with mutant APC. ..
- Shay J. Role of Telomeres and Telomerase in Aging and Cancer. Cancer Discov. 2016;6:584-93 pubmed publisher..This review provides an overview of the current state of the field and how recent advances could affect future research and treatment approaches. Cancer Discov; 6(6); 584-93. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Jafri M, Al Qahtani M, SHAY J. Role of miRNAs in human cancer metastasis: Implications for therapeutic intervention. Semin Cancer Biol. 2017;44:117-131 pubmed publisher..This review primarily focuses on the role of miRNAs in the mechanisms of cancer metastasis as well as implications for metastatic cancer treatment. ..
- Wong M, Wright W, Shay J. Alternative splicing regulation of telomerase: a new paradigm?. Trends Genet. 2014;30:430-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that these differential regulatory mechanisms may be widely applicable to other genes and may provide new opportunities for the development of cancer therapeutics. ..
- Shay J, Cucinotta F, Sulzman F, Coleman C, Minna J. From mice and men to earth and space: joint NASA-NCI workshop on lung cancer risk resulting from space and terrestrial radiation. Cancer Res. 2011;71:6926-9 pubmed publisher..The workshop examined preclinical models, epidemiology, molecular markers, "omics" technology, radiobiology issues, and lung stem cells that relate to the development of lung cancer. ..
- Jafri M, Ansari S, Alqahtani M, Shay J. Roles of telomeres and telomerase in cancer, and advances in telomerase-targeted therapies. Genome Med. 2016;8:69 pubmed publisher..Additionally, recent advances in the clinical development of telomerase inhibitors, as well as potential novel targets, will be summarized. ..
- Holohan B, Kim W, Lai T, Hoshiyama H, Zhang N, Alazami A, et al. Impaired telomere maintenance in Alazami syndrome patients with LARP7 deficiency. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:749 pubmed..Together, these experiments demonstrate that in addition to the readily apparent developmental disorder associated with LARP7 deficiency, an underlying telomeropathy exists even in unaffected siblings of these individuals. ..
- Singel S, Cornelius C, Zaganjor E, Batten K, Sarode V, Buckley D, et al. KIF14 promotes AKT phosphorylation and contributes to chemoresistance in triple-negative breast cancer. Neoplasia. 2014;16:247-56, 256.e2 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings show an early and critical role for KIF14 in the tumorigenic potential of TNBC, and therapeutic targeting of KIF14 is feasible and effective for TNBC. ..
- Min J, Shay J. TERT Promoter Mutations Enhance Telomerase Activation by Long-Range Chromatin Interactions. Cancer Discov. 2016;6:1212-1214 pubmed..This permits recruitment of the transcription factor GABPA in mutant TERT promoters but not in wild-type promoters. Cancer Discov; 6(11); 1212-4. ©2016 AACRSee related article by Ak?nc?lar and colleagues, p. 1276. ..
- Huang E, Tedone E, O Hara R, Cornelius C, Lai T, Ludlow A, et al. The Maintenance of Telomere Length in CD28+ T Cells During T Lymphocyte Stimulation. Sci Rep. 2017;7:6785 pubmed publisher..The study of this T-cell subset may lead to a better understanding on how telomerase is regulated and functions in immune cells. ..
- Lai T, Zhang N, Noh J, Mender I, Tedone E, Huang E, et al. A method for measuring the distribution of the shortest telomeres in cells and tissues. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1356 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that TeSLA is a robust method that provides a better understanding of the shortest length of telomeres. ..
- Kim W, Shay J. Long-range telomere regulation of gene expression: Telomere looping and telomere position effect over long distances (TPE-OLD). Differentiation. 2018;99:1-9 pubmed publisher..In addition to telomere looping, TPE-OLD may be one mechanism of how cells time changes in physiology without initiating a DNA damage response. ..