- Sharifi N. The 5?-androstanedione pathway to dihydrotestosterone in castration-resistant prostate cancer. J Investig Med. 2012;60:504-7 pubmed publisher..Further progress in the hormonal treatment of CRPC is dependent on an understanding of the mechanisms that underlie CRPC and resistance to abiraterone acetate. ..
- Sharifi N, Hurt E, Thomas S, Farrar W. Effects of manganese superoxide dismutase silencing on androgen receptor function and gene regulation: implications for castration-resistant prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:6073-80 pubmed publisher..These findings show that down-regulation of SOD2 induces AR activity in a ROS-dependent manner, and suggest that there may be a role for antioxidant therapy in CRPC. ..
- Sharifi N. Hormonal therapy for prostate cancer: toward further unraveling of androgen receptor function. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2009;9:1046-51 pubmed..These agents and the promise of the development of others provide hope that more effective hormonal therapies may soon be offered to patients, which will improve clinical outcomes. ..
- Sharifi N. New agents and strategies for the hormonal treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2010;19:837-46 pubmed publisher..New investigational hormonal agents that inhibit intratumoral androgens are highly active in the treatment of CRPC. Alternative strategies hold the promise for the development of other agents with novel mechanisms of action. ..
- Sharifi N, Hamada A, Sissung T, Danesi R, Venzon D, Baum C, et al. A polymorphism in a transporter of testosterone is a determinant of androgen independence in prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2008;102:617-21 pubmed publisher....