Affiliation: University of Florida
- The act of voluntary wheel running reverses dietary hyperphagia and increases leptin signaling in ventral tegmental area of aged obese ratsAlexandra Shapiro
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Gerontology 57:335-42. 2011..It appears to trigger a response that substitutes for the reward of highly palatable food that may be mediated by increased leptin signaling in the VTA...
- Prevention and reversal of diet-induced leptin resistance with a sugar-free diet despite high fat contentAlexandra Shapiro
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Box 100267, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Br J Nutr 106:390-7. 2011..These data suggest that fructose is the bioactive component of a HF/high-sugar diet that is essential for the induction of leptin resistance...
- Fructose-induced leptin resistance exacerbates weight gain in response to subsequent high-fat feedingAlexandra Shapiro
Dept of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Box 100267, Univ of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R1370-5. 2008..Our data indicate that chronic fructose consumption induces leptin resistance prior to body weight, adiposity, serum leptin, insulin, or glucose increases, and this fructose-induced leptin resistance accelerates high-fat induced obesity...
- POMC overexpression in the ventral tegmental area ameliorates dietary obesityLourdes M Andino
Departments of Pharmacology and Therapeutics Aging and Geriatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine, PO Box 100267, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Endocrinol 210:199-207. 2011..In conclusion, these data indicate a role for POMC overexpression within the VTA reward center to combat HF-induced obesity...
- Central overexpression of leptin antagonist reduces wheel running and underscores importance of endogenous leptin receptor activity in energy homeostasisMichael Matheny
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutic, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R1254-61. 2009..These findings underscore the critical role of unrestrained leptin receptor activity in long-term energy homeostasis and suggest that even minor disruption of leptin receptor function can promote obesity...
- Synergy between leptin therapy and a seemingly negligible amount of voluntary wheel running prevents progression of dietary obesity in leptin-resistant ratsAlexandra Shapiro
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Box 100267, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Diabetes 57:614-22. 2008..Second, we examined if voluntary wheel running is beneficial in reducing the trajectory of weight gain in high-fat-raised leptin-resistant rats...
- Molecular and biological characterization of a Cypovirus from the mosquito Culex restuansTerry B Green
ARS, CMAVE, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
J Invertebr Pathol 91:27-34. 2006..Therefore, we propose that CrCPV is a member of the Cypovirus-17 group and designate this species as CrCPV-17...
- Morphological and molecular characterization of a Cypovirus (Reoviridae) from the mosquito Uranotaenia sapphirina (Diptera: Culicidae)Alexandra Shapiro
Center for Medical, Agricultural and Veterinary Entomology, USDA ARS, Gainesville, FL 32604, USA
J Virol 79:9430-8. 2005..We conclude that UsCPV should be recognized as a member of a new Cypovirus species (Cypovirus 17, strain UsCPV-17)...