Affiliation: University of Southern California
- Ethnic variation in parenting characteristics and adolescent smokingSohaila Shakib
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Alhambra, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 33:88-97. 2003..To examine ethnic variation in parenting characteristics and in associations among parenting characteristics and adolescent smoking, and to assess the strength of those associations separately by ethnic subgroup...
- Family characteristics and smoking among urban and rural adolescents living in ChinaSohaila Shakib
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research and Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Center, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, USA
Prev Med 40:83-91. 2005..Adolescent smoking is a public health concern in China. Although the family is an important social influence in China, few associations among family characteristics and adolescent smoking have been examined using Chinese samples...
- A randomized intervention of smoking for adolescents in urban Wuhan, ChinaChih Ping Chou
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1000 S Fremont, Box 8, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
Prev Med 42:280-5. 2006..This study evaluated a school-based smoking prevention curriculum with a social normative approach developed in the United States for adolescents in urban Wuhan, China...
- Acculturation, physical activity, and fast-food consumption among Asian-American and Hispanic adolescentsJennifer B Unger
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
J Community Health 29:467-81. 2004..Health promotion programs are needed to encourage physical activity and healthy diets among adolescents in acculturating families...
- A cultural psychology approach to "drug abuse" preventionJennifer B Unger
Transdisciplinary Prevention Research Center, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Subst Use Misuse 39:1779-820. 2004..Implications of cultural risk and protective factors for transdisciplinary research on drug abuse prevention are also discussed...
- Peer influences and access to cigarettes as correlates of adolescent smoking: a cross-cultural comparison of Wuhan, China, and CaliforniaJennifer B Unger
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Prev Med 34:476-84. 2002....
- Smoking behavior among urban and rural Native American adolescents in CaliforniaJennifer B Unger
University of Southern California School of Medicine, Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Research, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Prev Med 25:251-4. 2003..This study used statewide data from California to examine the smoking behavior and related psychosocial risk factors among Native American adolescents living in urban and rural counties...
- Exploring the cultural context of tobacco use: a transdisciplinary frameworkJennifer B Unger
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, CA 91803, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 5:S101-17. 2003..The framework challenges researchers to think about how the sociocultural context influences tobacco use at micro, meso, and macro levels. Finally, we offer suggestions for improving transdisciplinary research on culture and tobacco...
- Authority-related conformity as a protective factor against adolescent health risk behaviorsMichele Mouttapa
J Adolesc Health 33:320-1. 2003
- Qualitative research: contributions to the study of drug use, drug abuse, and drug use(r)-related interventionsMark Nichter
Departments of Anthropology, Family and Community Medicine and Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Subst Use Misuse 39:1907-69. 2004..Finally, we discuss the challenges faced by qualitative researchers when engaging in transdisciplinary research...
- Sensations from initial exposure to nicotine predicting adolescent smoking in China: a potential measure of vulnerability to nicotineXinguang Chen
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Alhambra CA, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 5:455-63. 2003..Self-reported sensations from initial exposure to nicotine may be a useful indicator of an individual's vulnerability to nicotine. This information can be used for adolescent smoking prevention and cessation interventions...
- Cultural/interpersonal values and smoking in an ethnically diverse sample of Southern California adolescentsJennifer B Unger
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Center, USA
J Cult Divers 13:55-63. 2006..Increased understanding of adolescents' values could inform the creation of smoking prevention programs for ethnically diverse adolescents...
- Intergenerational transmission of tobacco use and dependence: a transdisciplinary perspectiveEdmond D Shenassa
Brown Medical School, Centers for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 5:S55-69. 2003..Research gaps that exist between scientific disciplines are highlighted, and some directions for future research are suggested...