Shira C Shafir
Affiliation: University of California
- Viability of Baylisascaris procyonis EggsShira C Shafir
University of California Los Angeles School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 17:1293-5. 2011..We attempted to determine parameters of viability and methods of inactivating the eggs of these roundworms. Loss of viability resulted when eggs were heated to 62°C or desiccated for 7 months but not when frozen at -15°C for 6 months...
- Thermal death point of Baylisascaris procyonis eggsShira C Shafir
Emerg Infect Dis 13:172-3. 2007
- Viability of Trichomonas vaginalis in urine: epidemiologic and clinical implicationsShira C Shafir
UCLA School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, Center for Health Sciences, Room 41 275, 650 Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:3787-9. 2006..To minimize the chance of false-negative results, urine specimens should be processed within 30 min of specimen collection and maintained at 37 degrees C, since temperature appears to affect the viability of Trichomonas...
- A novel method to increase the viability of Trichomonas vaginalis in urineShira C Shafir
Department of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Center for Health Sciences, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:485-7. 2007..Two of the major diagnostic methods for Trichomonas vaginalis, wet mount and culture, rely on the continued viability of the organism. Methods to increase the viability of T. vaginalis in urine are needed...
- Current issues and considerations regarding trichomoniasis and human immunodeficiency virus in African-AmericansShira C Shafir
Department of Epidemiology, Center for Health Sciences, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 22:37-45, Table of Contents. 2009..Therefore, control of trichomoniasis may represent an important avenue of control for the prevention of HIV transmission, particularly among African-Americans...
- Evaluation of the seroprevalence of influenza A(H1N1) 2009 on a university campus: a cross-sectional studyShira C Shafir
Center for Public Health and Disasters, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Public Health 11:922. 2011..We evaluated the seroprevalence of influenza A(H1N1) 2009 virus on a large public University campus, as well as disparities in demographic, symptomatic and vaccination characteristics of participants...
- Severe and fatal central nervous system disease in humans caused by Baylisascaris procyonis, the common roundworm of raccoons: a review of current literatureMatthew E Wise
Department of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Center for Health Sciences, Room 41 297, 650 Charles E Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Microbes Infect 7:317-23. 2005..Prevention efforts are critical due to the lack of effective treatment...
- Congenital cytomegalovirus mortality in the United States, 1990-2006Benjamin N Bristow
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1140. 2011..To measure congenital CMV-associated mortality in the US and assess possible racial/ethnic disparities, we reviewed national death certificate data for a 17-year period...